Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

Finished up on the stringers on module 2 at the back. Bolted in a top reinforcing longeron on module 2, some strengthening brackets on module 1. Happy that module 1 is going to support itself on the end of module 2, so it's now onto skinning it with some foam and beginning to sculpt.

Also, the port side switch for the cockpit arrived in the mail. A rare find and thanks to another Overclockers member for helping me with that.

https://i.imgur.com/gHEf884.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/vkdlSbJ.jpg?1
Love the old AT computer switches. :D

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

A good OCAU citizen just sent me this. Port side cockpit control. Awesome!!!

You should have seen the markings he put on the box. Pissed myself laughing when I received it! I'll get a photo of it later.

maRNrbP.jpg

NyPAfBV.jpg

Looks awesome! One thing to remember though: The Moebius model is based off the CGI model of the Viper. The actual full-sized prop has a lot of subtle differences to the "miniature" used for most of the shots. Good find on the joystick. I thought it was a huge score when I found one at a flea market. 3 bucks!

Looks awesome! One thing to remember though: The Moebius model is based off the CGI model of the Viper. The actual full-sized prop has a lot of subtle differences to the "miniature" used for most of the shots. Good find on the joystick. I thought it was a huge score when I found one at a flea market. 3 bucks!

Thanks Kev. :)

Yes it has differences. That's why I chose the original Zoic 3D CAD model, (which is the GGI used in filming), which I have had converted into formers, closing the gaps and lofting the sections accurately.

The CAD was meant for screen render and was never meant to be fabricated for real. It wasn't intended for close inspection at full size, so the gaps are huge up close. The Moebius kit has too many shortcuts and the actual prop used for filming has a few differences seen no-where else too. I've discovered every single one of them in the last four years of planning.

Like me, they made do with what they had, as I may have to do periodically along the way but will avoid if at all possible.

Baz.

I've now started cutting the formers for the cockpit. Looks like I'll be welding a steel box-frame inside to support the weight of the cockpit, occupant and to hang the nose from the front firewall. I also finished the nose intake grill.

YbErdFk.jpg

JoMAh7R.jpg

Meanwhile, the centre joystick arrived. It's pretty ballsy, a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Doesn't feel like a toy.

OrH3XbQ.jpg

As a side-project, trying to spread my productive time through the nights as well, I am making the flight suit, complete with helmet. I'm still waiting on our local law authorities for permission.permit for the sidearm.

This is a reference photo, not mine.
63iccO7.jpg

Here's where I'm at with the helmet.

bOeEV68.jpg

To catch up with the full build and all the gritty details, come this way >>> http://www.buildsbybaz.com/category/viper-build/

This week the seat and the Wulfsberg radio for the starboard panel arrived.

XxoJffq.jpg

b2LXRXw.jpg

I've been playing with perspex in the oven, brought to temperature and pressed over a curved surface to practice for the visor when it comes to it.

opgL6aT.jpg

The helmet turned out to be a bit too fitting, leaving no room for padding so I increased the scale by 10 percent and did it again.

79Y7U95.jpg

I'm also starting on the flight suit vest, using materials I found in roadside dumpings.

a8F3dmJ.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back