Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Good info - lots of things I hadn't thought about. 150 degrees celsius - Thats about 330 F isn't it?

If I remember my science classes 150C is about 302F

(1.8 degrees F/ 1 degree C * 150 ) +32 (offset of the freezing point of water in F vs 0 in Celcius)

All that aside I think that a heat gun might be the best way... although I'd be afraid of heating up the acrylic dome in the process... Why not just make a shallow cone? Since you're gonna greeblie it up for the most part the slight curve is going to be covered up by other sheet plastic... It may not even be noticeable... Something to try - and you can prototype the "shape" in paper first to get the right depth etc... paper, tape and scissors. If you wannt get fancy you can break out th ecalculus books and figure out the arc lengths etc... I'd just wing it and see if I could get close with a few trial and errors ;)

Of course if all else fails you cold drop Moe a note to see how he built the replacement for the original ;)

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Of course if all else fails you cold drop Moe a note to see how he built the replacement for the original ;)

Moes is an awesome piece, and I totally respect his work on it, but the method he used for the edge - at least in my estimation - isn't totally accurate.

Moe may have likely been aware of this. The way the edge of the original is done appears to necessitate affixing the dish to the dome, then adding small detail pieces around the edge. Moes piece is not permanently affixed to the model.

DS040.jpg
DS0002.jpg

Last edited:
Just regarding reference, do you know of/have the really clear version of that shot, from the 1978 'Star Wars Storybook'?

Just regarding reference, do you know of/have the really clear version of that shot, from the 1978 'Star Wars Storybook'?

No... Not really.

The shot above was from a calendar, scanned at 600dpi. So the little circular arifacts in teh image are from the actual paper printing process, not from the digital imagery.

I don't have anything that hasn't already been published.

The way the edge of the original is done appears to necessitate affixing the dish to the dome, then adding small detail pieces around the edge. Moes piece is not permanently affixed to the model.

On the original, it appears to me that the edge of dish proper is perfectly circular, where as the circled elements were added after the dish was installed.

The circled elements on Moes dish appear to be an integral part of the edge of his dish. His dish seems to be more of a cog wheel shape. This makes perfect sense since Moe likely did not have the time/resources/ability to add a series of additional detail pieces after the installation of the dish.

DS007_1.jpg

Unfortunately the photo in the SWSB is across two pages, so it doesn't scan well. I don't want to wreck the binding on mine (had it for 30 years, after all!), but they're cheap on ebay, and probably worth getting one to pull apart! It's the one with R2 and Threepio on the cover.

Still the best, clearest pic of the DS I've ever seen. It's obviously not a still from the film, probably one of Edlund's archival shots.

One thing this pic suggests, if you haven't noted it elsewhere, is that the edge of the superlaser stands a little proud of the DS surface, by the height of the triangular pieces. Makes me sceptical of the idea that the cutout section was reversed to make it, although it could just be a styrene overlay cut larger than the plex.

Unfortunately the photo in the SWSB is across two pages, so it doesn't scan well. I don't want to wreck the binding on mine (had it for 30 years, after all!), but they're cheap on ebay, and probably worth getting one to pull apart! It's the one with R2 and Threepio on the cover.

Still the best, clearest pic of the DS I've ever seen. It's obviously not a still from the film, probably one of Edlund's archival shots.

One thing this pic suggests, if you haven't noted it elsewhere, is that the edge of the superlaser stands a little proud of the DS surface, by the height of the triangular pieces. Makes me sceptical of the idea that the cutout section was reversed to make it, although it could just be a styrene overlay cut larger than the plex.

I do have that book - will have to pull it out of the "archives"...

"although it could just be a styrene overlay cut larger than the plex."

I've been thinking this very thought quite a bit lately especially considering the photo of the model painted just silver where the dish is flush.

Last edited:
(Check my profile - threads started by me...)

OK I think I made some usable dishes tonight. I used my gas range (worked better than the heat gun) and forcefully pressed the soft styrene over the over-sized 9" disc/buck.

Yeah, that pic has been published in a couple different publications, primarily in The Art of Star Wars: A New Hope.

I agree - it is one of the better - or best - shots.

Another pic...

Some interesting stuff going on here. Seems almost as if a band of very thin styrene was added above and below the equator. And clearly some additional detail pieces right at the edge.

DS0005.jpg

And a shot of the model as it is today in the museum that suggests the same thing - see the faint line above the upper "equatorial band" in the light grey area?

DS0406.jpg

DS0456.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going for a straight repilca of the SS model?

Or will you complete the paint job?

Haven't completely decided yet Mike, but probably pretty close to the original. The original is finished far more to the left of the dish (facing it) than to the right, and it looks as if they may have added more paint (farther around the sphere) after the initial coat was complete.

Not sure if I'll match it exactly where the paint on the original starts and stops, but will leave the back 25% clear.

Make sense...?

Mine may end up being more geometrically symetrical -- the true front 75% complete, and the true rear 25% clear (which may add more finished painted surface to the right of the dish).

Last edited:
Building the dish right now. Just about to attach the first of the smaller dishes.

What do you think - should I build in the "wonkiness" of this? Note how it doesn't lay flat into the main dish (look at the shadow around "8:00" and "10:00")? To me it seems sort of characteristic of the original model as you see it in all the shots.

Dish004.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back