BUILDING THE BAT SIGNAL: A Full Scale Prop

what did you use for a light source

You'd be surprised: Since I did NOT have to worry about the Bat Signal actually projecting the Bat emblem image, I just worked to make sure it looked good lit up as a prop. I used a simple photography light socket and 12-inch reflector set with a 150 Watt PAR 38 flood bulb screwed into the socket.

LightSource_zpsf955ccb4.jpg

The person who quoted you "three tons" was including the weight of the generator. See The Fort MacArthur Museum's searchlight page: it quotes the combined weight (of both the searchlight and generator trailers) as 6,000 lbs. Since the generator is a fairly hefty piece of equipment powered by a 6-cylinder gasoline engine, I'd guess it makes up probably 2/3 or more of that total.

I believe you are correct. One ton for the searchlight, then. Still far too hefty for a non-profit student stage production performed in school or on a community theater stage. LOL!

Actually, I was still being conservative... I would be surprised if the light trailer weighs much over 1000 pounds. If you got one on a wide-stance 4-wheel trailer, at around 250 pounds per wheel I think your stage could handle it just fine. Moving it wouldn't be too difficult either, after all one person can push a car around on level ground. But all this is moot anyway since you already have your prop.

Well (Shhhhhhh, don't tell my wife)... but, I was motivated to build my own light weight prop, because (after the play over) it is my intention to create a "CLASSIC DYNAMIC DUO DISPLAY" in our home using these two mannequins dressed in the Batman and Robin costumes, flanking the Bat-Signal on either sides. :D

TheBatmanandRobinUniforms_zpsdc15596f.jpg

Last edited:
With the basic Bat Signal shape now constructed, I turned my attention to the next phase of construction that would give the prop real personality and realism.

Using the collection of reference photos and you tube videos that I had amassed of 1942 Carbon Arc searchlights, I sat down and drafted all-new schematic drawings of the COMPONENTS AND DETAILS that I planned to add to the Bat Signal.

This is the Main Power Switch Box Enclosure that will be positioned on the left side of the Trunnion "U" bracket.

MainPowerSwitchBox_zps93c19ebe.jpg

This is my Producion Design rendering of the Carbon Feeder Control Box Unit, which is to be mounted on the opposite Tunnion Bracket arm.

CarbonFeederControlBox_zpsbdd7be5f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here we have the Bat Signal's Main Rotation Motor, which will be located at the rear circular base of the stage prop.

MainRotationMotor_zps45b7c9c1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I also drafted brand new schematics of the final prop itself dressed with these new items. With no actual, real, three-dimensional prop for me to closely examine, this drafting work was often something of a challenge.

Bat-Signalleftsideviews_zps652ee563.jpg

Bat-Signalrightsideviews_zps59fd7368.jpg

These new schematic drawings required a fair amount of research to be as accurate as possible. A considerable amount of grid comparison guess work was also required when it came to establishing the exact measurements of these different components that I planned to build.

Last edited:
Great work man! One question though, as I understood, you didn't care much for the prop to project any bat signal which is why you used a conventional lamp inside it just so it appears light. But the video (and closed curtains) showed the bat signal hovering all over the theater, may I ask what did you use to do that?

Yours,
Ammar

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back