Build your own Lost in space robot!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Lynn TXP 0369, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Monsters in Motion is selling a book on how to build your own Lost in space robot.

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=8117

It sounds interesting.. I just wonder how builder friendly it is to the average person with no vacuform or casting capabilty.

It says this book has been updated with more info, anyone here have old one?
    Lynn

2. y3a

y3a Well-Known Member

YEP.. It's full of info to make a stand-alone replica, or a costume. The parts are pretty pricey, but it's still cheaper than buying the original B9 costume which went at auction at $230K or somesuch...

The revised edition should have even MORE stuff as more and more B9 Builders complete there robots.

3. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I've got a 3rd edition copy signed by the author, Flint Mitchell.

The book was originally published in 1998, so much of the info is dated. It has a lot of pictures, but unfortunately, they are all B&W and low resolution. Still, if you're looking to build a B9, for $15 you can't go wrong. :)

The ultimate resource for B9 builders is the B9 Builders Club. http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com.

Mike Joyce runs the site, has the license, and is a member here. Great guy, too. :)

4. B9Creations

B9Creations New Member

Thanks.

We just finished our first ten licensed replicas.
    A very short movie here:
    http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com/pub/gal...onsreplica.html

Nothing quite like seeing ten Robots moving and talking all at once.

Best.
    Mike Joyce
    www.LostInSpaceRobot.com

[​IMG]

5. TReinman

TReinman Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP that picture is cool....

-- Tim

6. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Sweet..

I never realized the tracks were so thin. I always remember drawing them bigger when I used to watch the show as a kid.

FB

7. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

I am COMPLETELY speechless.

Congratulations to all involved in this venture Mike, you have succeeded where others have failed and proved that this can be done right.

Jim

8. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Wow, that is very cool indeed.

Can your B9's move via R/C control, or are the treads not motorized?

9. B9Creations

B9Creations New Member

You can push or pull the Robot and it will roll on the treadbelts, but it is not motorized. At 250lbs it's not something you want rolling around the house in the hands of an 8 year old, lol.

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh Yeah.. I have never seen such a beautiful line-up.

Great Pic...

11. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Absolutely GORGEOUS....

[​IMG]

Somewhere, in some hole, Jim Latta is mumbling to himself: "They could have been mine... they could have been mine... :cry "

:lol

- Gabe

12. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Somewhere, in some hole, Jim Latta is mumbling to himself: "They could have been mine... they could have been mine... "

:lol :lol :cry

Hopefully a very deep hole. Good one, Gabe.

Mike,

Excellent work. I wish you and your team all the best with this and future endevors.

Ted. :D

13. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

:eek A army of B9's.

That is a beatiful site.

14. wtfjedi

wtfjedi New Member

$18,000.00 :eek

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What did you expect a couple of grand?. :lol

Thats a fair price considering Icons was charging about the same I think, have to dig out my correspondance with Jim, almost what 8 years ago?

16. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it. Pure and simple. Works of art cost money.

17. Benign Robot

Benign Robot New Member

I think wtfjedi makes kind of a good point, since you can get all the parts (officially licensed through the club) from members at the same site for around 5 or 6k. This thread started out about the book and building your own, after all.

For folks who have it to spare, maybe twelve or so grand is cool for assembly, paint, and wiring, but where's the fun in that?

18. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

That Quicktime movie was hilarious...

19. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Plus shipping. :p

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Look....as one of the few people on this planet who have built more than one of these, I can tell you $18,000 is too cheap. Particularly at the quality these are coming out.

Nothing is slapped together, all electronics are done with circuit boards. TONS of CNC parts every part is interchangable with any other robot.

AMAZING work.

But I digress.

The book noted in this thread is quite an inspiring book. Many of the current B9 builders started with that book. But it leads you down a path of utter madness.

21. B9Creations

B9Creations New Member

Sorry, I guess I was hi jacking the thread. :angel
    Really, building your own is the way to go if you have the time and motivation.

The licensed replicas are mainly for collectors that do not have the time to build their own. I will have to produce and sell more than just the first ten to make up my development costs (and I had very low overhead), so no apologies for the price.

And hey, at least mine are less expensive than a Robby... http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10921.asp

MikeJ

22. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mike,
    You dont have to justify your price to anyone. You did it ,man. You succeeded where other big boys have failed. Truly the best version of this robot I have ever seen, and licensed to boot.

Kudos to you.

23. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Totally fantastic work dude. Truly amazing, and a testament to your tenacity. Excellent work.

Now if only someone would offer the same thing for R2. I'm one of those poor saps with no time, but plenty of money to blow on a built up unit. Hook a brother up.

24. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Product Enterprise is coming out with an 8" diecast B9 as part of their new Irwin Allen line. :D

- k

25. Youngy44

Youngy44 New Member

B9Creations,

Absolutely awesome.. Wonderful work.....Congratulations. :cheers

David

26. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Darn right it leads to madness, but who wants to be sane. :lol

27. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Yep, that book is the way to go. It will really get you thinking on what you can use for parts ect. Here is mine with actrss Alana Curry from T3.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/tn_AlanaCurryDX041_1.JPG[/image]

28. Benign Robot

Benign Robot New Member

Mike,

Was it hard getting UL Certification? Seein' as how it's got the high voltage for the neons, etc.?

Kinda curious as to what all's involved in bringing a product like this to market.

29. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is so pretty, I wonder if I'd miss my wife That much

30. Banquo Fett

Banquo Fett Well-Known Member

That is a childhood dream come to life. I'd never be able to afford it, but I'd love to just have a look at one up close. Wow. :love

31. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

I can only say one word:

FAN****INGTASTIC....

ok, some other words: incredible. brilliant. and truly, a childhood dream come true to see a row of B-9s all life-sized and operating.

wowowowowowowowowowowow.

32. trixter

trixter Well-Known Member

I dont seem to have the website anymore BUT I remember doing a serach of the B9 forums and there was a gentleman who was writing a B9 OS for macs so his robot would have voice commands and such

OK found it. For those wanting a BIT of automation in thier bots.

B9 OS