Build of the PotC Map (Mao Kun Charts)

Got permission to work on this in class as an official art project, which should help it move along more quickly!

Found out today that I will have free and nearly unlimited access to the ~30x48" laser cutter at my school's Mechanical Engineering department. Which is fantastic news, because no matter how careful I am, I cannot cut a 30" circle with less than 1mm tolerance for error on a band saw.

To be honest i dont remember where i got mine.. somebody sent me the HD pictures separate and i worked a lot on photoshop making all the changes..

the back of my map is bamboo.. pain in the . cut them and fit them
but at the end looks ok. ( mine is just the prototipe, i need to make another one with more dedication ...i made this one just for a photoshot, so lets say is not my HEro version LOL )
My friend worked as a hand double on the last movie so he gave me all the input for the map, as he did the scene when gibbs ask jack about the map.
good luck with yours! already looks great !.

OST map replica - YouTube

Today I finished cutting out all of the acrylic sheet for the map. That probably doesn't mean much to most people, since you might not understand at all how I'm building this. But it's like 200 little pieces, cut by a laser, that all will go back together.

200 pcs.? Wow, that's pretty elaborate!

Yeah, I watched some clips of the scenes with the map, there are (at least) 6 concentric circles that turn. So 6 concentric circles, the largest being about 27 inches in diameter, all sliced into slats .8 inches wide... lots of pieces!

I've been doing a lot of work on this today (school ends soon, gotta hurry it up!). I've got at least half the pieces together, and it's working well. Should get finished in the next couple days!
I'll post some pictures of the progress later tonight.

Ok, I made a compiled map image from several others, including lots of screen shots to get all of the text on the map. This version includes the borders of the map (for the most part) and all of the circular text, as far as I could tell. This version has the Cup of Life on it, although it is NOT the version of the map that includes Florida or Cuba. I didn't like those versions. I still have the photoshop file of the map, so the text and Cup of Life are removable, if anyone wants that version.
This is a RapidShare link, I hope it works well for everyone. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/4243673688/Finished_map.jpg

p.s. it's a huge file, 27 MB. Very high resolution. Also, on the far left of the map is a single gray line running vertically. Next to it is the number 33.875, the height in inches I made my version of this map. Easily removable in any photo editing program, or with scissors.

WOW! That map is beautiful. And thanks for sharing it!

Here, have a few more exclamation points for all the time and effort that must've taken you: !!!!!!!!

Great work!

-Nick

Nice work mate! I can't wait to see the finished map you're working on! are you considering doing a run of the maps?

Awesome Job on the map :love Congratulations :thumbsup

And many, many thanks for sharing it. Thats very generous (y)thumbsup

Nice work mate! I can't wait to see the finished map you're working on! are you considering doing a run of the maps?

Honestly, it would have to be in the thousands of dollars for it to be worth the amount of work it takes. But I might consider doing a rolling up version, or a spinning version. Not both. Too much effort, and it still doesn't work as well as I'd like.

I'd be interested in a rolling up version. I understand that a rolling up AND spinning version is too work-intensive to be interesting, but I bet a lot of people would be interested in a rolling up version... Anyway, it's up to you off course... I bet you still have some work on your hands with the compasses... ;)

I'd be interested. I've been interested since the_eli started with his project and dropped it. :(

How about making some sort of kit? That saves you a lot of work and might interest people who want a rolling-and-spinning version (such as myself) and don't have thousands of dollars to spend on it (er, which also describes me).

Regardless, this is fantastic work, and kudos to you for sharing your hard work with us!

Oh goodness, I forgot about updating this thread.
So here's where I got:
I finished a large amount of this, and, to a point, it did in fact work. It could roll. It could spin. But not well (either function). The mechanics I had worked out do in fact work. But the materials I would need for it to work well are probably non-existent. I would need something about 1/16th" thick that has perfect rigidity (no bending) and weighed next to nothing. If it exists, I'm too poor to buy it.
What I made weighed far too much (8-10 pounds, I'd guess) and when rolled, was about 8-10 inches wide. And I didn't even attach the bamboo to it.

So this is marked up to a "learning project" which, ultimately, did not work.

HOWEVER! I did provide a nice, huge version of the file with the complete map and spinning letters on it. I printed it out and, guys, it is gorgeous. At some point in my life I will have glass-top coffee table with that map under the glass. It will be beautiful.

The one pic I have on my phone right now:
View attachment 96490

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back