Build of the PotC Map (Mao Kun Charts)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Zlurpo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm going to start soon on a 1:1 replica of the map/chart used in Pirates of the Caribbean 3. I'm trying to find the biggest, best file of them available. I already have this one, which is huge and that's great, but it has it's obvious problems. I can fix some of them in photoshop, combining images from other shots of the map. But I want to know if there's one out there that is already... fixed.

I know there are a couple members that already made their own versions, two of those members have been banned so I can't really ask them what files they used. Any help, posted here or PM'd would be greatly appreciated!

(Edit: I also have access to everything on this site.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. Zlurpo

Re: Help with PotC Map (Mao Kun Charts)

Got it. Thanks to sparrowed for the help!

3. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

I have this one but it appears you have been helped.

[​IMG]

I would like to do a new one of these myself but I don't have a copy with the right side. And now that I have a good pic of the back, this would be awesome to find.

[​IMG]

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/PirateLetterandMap1F.jpg
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/DSC_0050.jpg
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/DSC_0043.jpg

Will like to see pics of your when you get finished. As for the slat backing I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got some place mattes, they have one larger than the one I used. Just need to remove the fabric and spray paint.

Zlurpo - thanks for the link.

Best,
    DBCooper

4. Zlurpo

I have been making one with the right side intact for the past several minutes (photoshop ho!). It uses one of those links (the full framed map) to get the border right. Also adds a bit to the top and bottom. I'll let you know when it's done.

The version I'm working toward will also have all of the writing--the stuff that looks like Chinese characters until the rings are spun. "Up is down" etc. Maybe the cup of life, too, but I don't like the map part that has "El Florida" or whatever it says. I'd be happy to make more than one version of the file, if what you're looking for is going to be similar to what I'm going for.

5. Zlurpo

Anyone who has done this before, I'm curious about a few things.

Does anyone know how many versions of the map were used in the movie? Not even counting OST, there are inconsistencies. I'm not sure if the map is supposed to be supernatural, or it there are supposed to be multiple versions.
    For instance, the words "sunrise sets flash of green" move from being inward-facing on the inside ring to being outward-facing on a farther out ring.
    What has been done before? Is there an official or best version?
    I'm asking in part because after I finish all of my photoshopping to create a big version with the lettering on it, I want to let it be available to anyone, and I want it to look the "right" way.

If there's no preference, then I'll make a sort of compilation based on screenshots and my own preference.

6. DBCooper

I think you are the first to attempt such a detailed version of this map. I did mine but I just used the copy available.

You seem to have a lot of leeway with this. You may want to view the extras on the DVD or Bluray. There was a section on the map specific and they talked about different versions of it.

Hope this helps,
    DBCooper

7. Zlurpo

I've worked for a few hours on adding all of the text. I just picked which versions I wanted (pretty sure it's the same at the movie, but there's a chance it changed in the movie, so no promises).
    As far as I can tell, the phrases that can be made with the spinning letters are "up is down," "sunrise sets flash of green" and "over the edge over again." If there's more than that, please let me know!!

Here's a small version of what I have so far. This is just a small one so people can see what it's looking like. I've also changed the colors a bit so the're not so bright red/orange, trying to get closer to the movie. This version also includes all of the right side of the map, as well as the top and bottom (cut off in many available pictures of the map).
    View attachment 83616
    The file I'm working with is enormous!

Meh, can't see much in that one, here's a zoomed in shot of the middle part of the map.

View attachment 83617

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

Yep, Sparrowed is a real diamond!! Hopefully she'll be around these parts more real soon!

Per the map--
    Of what I remember from back in the day of the stories being told is that there were two different maps. One that just rolled up like a mat, and another fancy smancy map that was on a dual level metal plate that had been precision cut into rings and each ring moved independently. This map could not roll up. Via the editing we are made to believe it is one prop, but it's isn't, it's a two part deal.
    IIRC--

So, if you can make it with rings that turn and also able to be rolled up, I'm pretty sure that will be a first!

Shylaah

9. Zlurpo

I already knew they used two maps for rolling/spinning, I was also wondering if there were two different viewed layouts of the map. Well three; I know there are two, one with and one without the cup of life. I'm wondering if there's clear shots of the writing on the map.

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The menus on the Blu-Rays have lots of great shots of the writings on the map.

11. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

From what im told the main reason the OST map didnt match the prior films is the original map file couldnt be located so a new one was put together. I do know an original unaltered map was later secured and used to CGI in on some shots but it was so late in the game not everything could be fixed.

Liberties were taken in the films to further sell the close up text as readable. Not sure if that answers your question about text not following suite.

12. Zlurpo

My measurements put the map at about 36"x41" which includes the approx 1" border around the colored/printed part.
    I measure each slat to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. What I end up using will likely depend on the availability and cost of materials, since it's not clear what it is in the movie (or if it's even uniform in the movie).
    For the back, I'll get bamboo slats (or stakes, or whatever works best. Maybe pieces from placemats or blinds, we'll see) and attach (glue?) them to the slats. Actuall design details coming soon.

13. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

the original maps bamboo backing were window Blinds from Target.

14. DBCooper

Your progress is AMAZING! Very excited for the outcome of this project. I didn't realize so much of the map was missing, the edges.

Best,
    DBCooper

15. Zlurpo

Here's what I'm thinking so far for the Cup of Life. I like it on the map, but I don't like the version of the map that it's on, with La Florida and the changes of the islands. So I superimposed the cup and angel of death thing onto this map in a fairly empty spot.
    When I upload the large version of the file, I'll probly upload one with and one without the Cup.

Thoughts? Preferences?
    View attachment 83714

16. Zlurpo

I bought some bamboo blinds from Lowes today, cost about $25 for 36"x72." So I'll have some extra. I've made a diagram of how I'm actually going to build this thing, in case anyone is curious.

The green rings indicate where a spinning section will be on the map. The colored bar is a cross section. The red layer is the bamboo slats, the yellow layer is going to be a backing layer. The blue layer is going to be the rings themselves and, where there aren't any rings on the map, it'll be thicker layers of the backing material (probably plywood, since it is not likely to warp, although I may go with some form of plastic or aluminum to guarantee no warping). The top layer (pink/purple) is going to be some form of laminate, like you would put on a countertop. This will be covered by the printed map.
    View attachment 83771
    Did any of that make sense?

17. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

And this is going to ROLL up? :confused

Shylaah

18. Zlurpo

Yes haha. That diagram was just the cross section, but the whole thing will be comprised of slats about 3/4" wide, so if all of them are pointed in the same direction, it should roll up no problem. At some point I hope to make "blueprints" that make more sense...

19. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

The issue with your plan and rolling up is the same reason why it wasnt done for the films. Every layer adds not only thickness but tension. When layed out flat things are close spacing, when rolled up they are expanded. The roll up idea works but reality has a way of putting its touch on things. In the end it made no sense to make a functional map, problem solved.

20. sgtfury4017

sgtfury4017 Active Member

LOOKS GREAT!!! Can't wait to see your finished map...

21. Zlurpo

Got permission to work on this in class as an official art project, which should help it move along more quickly!

22. Zlurpo

Found out today that I will have free and nearly unlimited access to the ~30x48" laser cutter at my school's Mechanical Engineering department. Which is fantastic news, because no matter how careful I am, I cannot cut a 30" circle with less than 1mm tolerance for error on a band saw.

23. Zlurpo

For anyone following, tomorrow I'm going to buy the rest of the supplies for this.

24. paplooo

paplooo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To be honest i dont remember where i got mine.. somebody sent me the HD pictures separate and i worked a lot on photoshop making all the changes..

the back of my map is bamboo.. pain in the . cut them and fit them
    but at the end looks ok. ( mine is just the prototipe, i need to make another one with more dedication ...i made this one just for a photoshot, so lets say is not my HEro version LOL )
    My friend worked as a hand double on the last movie so he gave me all the input for the map, as he did the scene when gibbs ask jack about the map.
    good luck with yours! already looks great !.

OST map replica - YouTube

25. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  26. Zlurpo

Today I finished cutting out all of the acrylic sheet for the map. That probably doesn't mean much to most people, since you might not understand at all how I'm building this. But it's like 200 little pieces, cut by a laser, that all will go back together.

27. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

200 pcs.? Wow, that's pretty elaborate!

28. Zlurpo

Yeah, I watched some clips of the scenes with the map, there are (at least) 6 concentric circles that turn. So 6 concentric circles, the largest being about 27 inches in diameter, all sliced into slats .8 inches wide... lots of pieces!

29. Zlurpo

I've been doing a lot of work on this today (school ends soon, gotta hurry it up!). I've got at least half the pieces together, and it's working well. Should get finished in the next couple days!
    I'll post some pictures of the progress later tonight.

30. Zlurpo

Ok, I made a compiled map image from several others, including lots of screen shots to get all of the text on the map. This version includes the borders of the map (for the most part) and all of the circular text, as far as I could tell. This version has the Cup of Life on it, although it is NOT the version of the map that includes Florida or Cuba. I didn't like those versions. I still have the photoshop file of the map, so the text and Cup of Life are removable, if anyone wants that version.
    This is a RapidShare link, I hope it works well for everyone. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/4243673688/Finished_map.jpg

p.s. it's a huge file, 27 MB. Very high resolution. Also, on the far left of the map is a single gray line running vertically. Next to it is the number 33.875, the height in inches I made my version of this map. Easily removable in any photo editing program, or with scissors.

31. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW! That map is beautiful. And thanks for sharing it!

Here, have a few more exclamation points for all the time and effort that must've taken you: !!!!!!!!

Great work!

-Nick

32. DBCooper

Bravo. Thank you so much for the share. I love it.

Now I have more work. Great job!

Best,
    DBCooper

33. TomVDJ

Nice work mate! I can't wait to see the finished map you're working on! are you considering doing a run of the maps?

34. MurdocXXL

MurdocXXL Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome Job on the map :love Congratulations :thumbsup

And many, many thanks for sharing it. Thats very generous (y)thumbsup

35. Zlurpo

Honestly, it would have to be in the thousands of dollars for it to be worth the amount of work it takes. But I might consider doing a rolling up version, or a spinning version. Not both. Too much effort, and it still doesn't work as well as I'd like.

36. TomVDJ

I'd be interested in a rolling up version. I understand that a rolling up AND spinning version is too work-intensive to be interesting, but I bet a lot of people would be interested in a rolling up version... Anyway, it's up to you off course... I bet you still have some work on your hands with the compasses... ;)

37. Zlurpo

Indeed, the compass building continues in earnest this week. Lots to do!

38. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

What an awesome project!

39. TheMalum

TheMalum Well-Known Member

I'd be interested. I've been interested since the_eli started with his project and dropped it. :(

How about making some sort of kit? That saves you a lot of work and might interest people who want a rolling-and-spinning version (such as myself) and don't have thousands of dollars to spend on it (er, which also describes me).

Regardless, this is fantastic work, and kudos to you for sharing your hard work with us!

40. Zlurpo

Oh goodness, I forgot about updating this thread.
    So here's where I got:
    I finished a large amount of this, and, to a point, it did in fact work. It could roll. It could spin. But not well (either function). The mechanics I had worked out do in fact work. But the materials I would need for it to work well are probably non-existent. I would need something about 1/16th" thick that has perfect rigidity (no bending) and weighed next to nothing. If it exists, I'm too poor to buy it.
    What I made weighed far too much (8-10 pounds, I'd guess) and when rolled, was about 8-10 inches wide. And I didn't even attach the bamboo to it.

So this is marked up to a "learning project" which, ultimately, did not work.

HOWEVER! I did provide a nice, huge version of the file with the complete map and spinning letters on it. I printed it out and, guys, it is gorgeous. At some point in my life I will have glass-top coffee table with that map under the glass. It will be beautiful.

The one pic I have on my phone right now:
    View attachment 96490

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  41. TheMalum

TheMalum Well-Known Member

Looks awesome! Thanks for trying to tackle this!

When I tried a test build of this several years ago, I thought about using mylar sheeting for the map, and had an idea to use fitted gaskets to provide the spinning effect. Unfortunately, the gaskets don't like to roll and bend, and the whole effect didn't quite come off. I had the feeling a full work-up would have functioned for a few days/weeks and then broken.

The engineer part of me keeps telling me there's a way to do it. It just won't gel.

42. micks75au

micks75au Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mate great work, thankyou for sharing the image because it will help me with a project I have in mind as well.

43. TomVDJ

I'm thinking about sending the image to one of these photo printing services who prints on canvas. Then cutting it off the frame and glue it on a suitable carrier. What do you guys think of that approach? (It won't be ""spinnable", but it will be "rollable", I think)

44. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

I made a map a few years ago and I took a map photo to Kinkos (it's a chain copy center here in the Bay Area) to have it printed on canvas. At that time it cost me 50
    $omething. I didn't want a shine so I chose a mat finish but it still had a slight shine to it.

http://i50.tinypic.com/kafyb5.jpg

45. belsilene

belsilene Active Member

It has been a great job anyway.
    Thanks for trying and congratulations on your impressive map.

46. probotix

probotix New Member

What happened to the rapidshare link? I'd love to see this map.

47. Zlurpo

Oh, I got a new link because I wanted one that wouldn't expire.
    http://www.farscapeprops.com/potc/Finished map.jpg
    Thanks to Rick Hanson.
    (On my computer, it won't actually load the image on the web, but if I save it it works just fine!)

48. Zlurpo

Although I really should re-upload it; I've photoshopped out the crease on the left side.