Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by MastahBlastah, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

View attachment 777634

Looking at this image is really giving me a headache as to where how the transition box is fitted. It would appear it overhangs a bit?

I also think the wedge has a rectangular element to it and the triangular bit is not quite so acute. Imagine the tip cut off the current wedge - that look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't understand what's giving you a headache about the image. Yeah, the TBox overhangs, a little, on the side.

3. Marv

On this picture you can see the overhang clearly
    620943-19a6f5014b3935a17bab8f887c592281.jpg
    However, I think if its offset in this way it leaves a gap on the other side like so
    620944-5fc9c98d7d2ef57c4fa07997a2128ae3.jpg
    Which is why I don't think the 'new' mystery bit is triangular in shape, if people have covered the gap, (and this is the same if the top of the Kalimar body is used) it would be in the wrong position.
    Whatever is on the side certainly flares but I don't this the shape that's out there is correct - just my thoughts.

Attached Files:

4. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Yes it overhangs, yes there is a gap and yes the tringle box covers it.

and its definetly triangle and open on the front side.
    DSC05918m.jpg
    DSC00241 (Large).JPG

This is how i went with mine. Its slid up a tad in this pic though since it just sits over a flat piece of aluminum and is held with pressure from the trans box.and my transistion box curve section needs to be longer. Something i plan to remake.

IMG_5208m.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. Marv

This is the shape I think I'm seeing:
    620985-68d206465d4a639ae6ba24a91ecedff4.jpg

Attached Files:

Zombie Killer likes this.
  6. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Ya that's how I built mine, its not a perfect triangle, its flat on the small end, it may even by slanted on the small end which is what ill do when I remake my trans box. Im going to change mine in a few ways, hard to describe what I want to change though. I want the side the eumig knob is attached to to be recessed a tad.

7. Marv

I like that,
    so your saying you have some kind of tab fitting into the rail? ...since it just sits over a flat piece of aluminum and is held with pressure
    Do you have a picture from the side which illustrates that point?

8. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I didnt take any pictures of that. There is a piece of aluminum glued or screwed ( i dont remember now) to the side of the trans box and the triangle sits on it. The aluminum part is the same size as the inside of the triangle. When the trans box is tightened down to the eumig face it pinches the lower triangle lip between the aluminum piece and the ledge that you were asking about. The ledge that shows because the trans box is offset. I was going to glue it in but the pressure was enough to keep it there.

9. Dann

I don't think I've got the slightest idea what y'all are talking about.

Here's my latest design, wedge prints separate, disc for mounting the knob prints separate as well. Everything screws together, everything that can turn, can turn!
    0118192138.jpg 0118192139.jpg 0118192139a.jpg 0118192139b.jpg 0118192140.jpg

Are you telling me that now I've got to redesign this thing, AGAIN?! :)

mugatu likes this.
  10. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Im sure hes talking about the CV-2000 vtr and CVM-51UW monitor but thats not the only product that came with that plug.

mugatu likes this.
  11. Marv

....so what are most people doing when it comes to attaching the lens plate to the Eumig, are you * it into place, or using rivets?

12. Marv

* can't use the word screw-ing that's helpful!

Dann and nailuj like this.
  13. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine is bolted onto the Eumig.

14. Marv

Did you go with two between the lenses?

15. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine was tapped for bolts between the lenses.

16. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Marv, go into your Preferences and check this box. It helps out with screwy things like this:
    preferences.png

Marv, mugatu and Dann like this.
  17. modellbaubert

modellbaubert New Member

Wow!!! Great work!! (y)(y)

18. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finally some useful info!!!! ;)

mugatu and Serenity like this.
  19. Dann

Marv, I've never used rivets to attach a lens plate, never even considered that it could've been done that way, originally. I suppose it's entirely possible, but I see screws on the Stunt version, so I'm betting either screws or glue for the Hero.

The (Russrep) lens plate on my current Hero is just glued on. Lots of CA glue, and it's never come off. I do also have a DEC plate, and I'm not sure I'm going to switch to it or not, but if I do, it'll be bolted on, with the provided bolts.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're talking about regarding the wedge on the TBox!! Please help me understand! ;)

Does this not look correct?
    0118192138.jpg 0118192140.jpg 0118192139b.jpg 0118192139a.jpg 0118192139.jpg

20. Marv

The image that Zombie Killer posted of his side box was what I was trying to describe. I don't think it's simply a triangle shape, if you see how he has it as there is a flat bit on the front the angle is not so great either. When you look at a couple of the shots the front of the transition box looks a little wider, which is what got me thinking that way.

21. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

marv, doesn't that cut into the transition box if that were true ? that would make the knobs off center

22. Dann

I guess I'd have to know which face of the box you're referring to as the front.

Sorry, I'm really confused about which areas you're talking about, I'd have to see pictures, I suppose.

23. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I still think its the thinner ended wedge rather than the rectangular. I see Danns version.

If its a wider rectangular end then there isn't the gap between the on off button and the wedge. I think you can see the more of the blue grey of the camera in the screen cap than with the rectangular ended option.

Attached Files:

trooper likes this.
  24. Marv

Not sure I understand the first part of the question, but I don't things would be off center when I was messing I thought the knobs could still have good alignment.

25. s2jesse

s2jesse Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this is my favorite thread on the rpf :) I'm charging fwd with my build right now. Scored most if not all of the vintage parts just waiting on shipping. Gonna build one fully vintage and one with more cast parts etc. I might toy with machining replica lenses if there is enough interest, however, they would not be cheap. Just want to say thanks for everyone's hard work on this and sharing.

MastahBlastah, The Ninja and mugatu like this.
  26. Marv

Took this snippet from a picture of luke next to a moisture vaporator.
    630059-3e44c133e367e2ead33db49b3917df71.jpg
    Don't know if anyone else has a better image of this but notice how low the new mystery wedge sits. It looks to me like it only comes as high as the mid point of the position of the Kalimar knobs, and is there a subtle slant on it too?

Attached Files:

• mv.JPG
      mv.JPG
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  27. s2jesse

when you say "new" what exactly do you mean just trying to soak up more info. I just finished getting all my vintage parts

28. Marv

We had a mystery box on the side which has been identified, the new mystery part is the piece which sits next to the transition box - made to be part of? (the wedge thing)

29. s2jesse

Ahh ok I thought you meant something even newer when you said "new" mystery box.

Also fyi I just scored the proper Male and female regular mystery box parts from a piece of equipment that I haven't seen mentioned yet. I'll post the source in a few.

MastahBlastah likes this.
  30. Petowalker

Petowalker Active Member

I have just replaced the mystery box, thanks Trooper. All completed with real parts
    IMG_1891.jpg

mugatu and nailuj like this.
  31. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love those. They look great.