Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by MastahBlastah, Oct 21, 2017.

1. SiMan

SiMan Member

Hi guys Fantastic thread so much so i've started collecting the parts to build my own so far ive got a Bell and Howell 250 on its way, but any spares anyone is willing to sell please let me know.
    thanks

2. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

as this isn’t a want to buy thread I won’t publish what I might have I will PM you
    where in the NW of England are you

3. SiMan

SiMan Member

Im in stockport manchester

4. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    SubLevel5 likes this.
  5. cjdesign

cjdesign Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In need of real Kailmar Style Buttons? There are many vintage Japanese cameras have the same style buttons, but only available in the black leather, not grey.

Kalimar Reflex
    Fujita 66
    Some models of Rolleicord (compur rapid)

Just picked up this Rolleicord for $20. $10 bucks a button is not bad.

s-l1600.jpg

6. cjdesign

The ebay prices are what they are. When I stumbled upon this thread a month ago, I found an auction for a Eumig and 660 together on ebay for $1200+ , thought that was crazy. Next day it was sold. So that puts the eumig at over $200 and the 660 at $900+. this has turned out to be an investment for my kids. I have to say in 3 weeks I've managed to collect everything except for a silver & black version lens. Total amount i've spend so far $920.

7. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, its becoming a very expensive past time. I have been lucky enough since Howards eumig find all those years ago to collect enough original parts for 3 builds, but you just don't get any bargains these and lucky finds are few and far between. Kobolds, graflex handles, racal minilites are all in the same category. Moving forward, the odd good value eumig might be all we get. Thank goodness for the likes of trooper and cast parts

8. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All I know is there is NO WAY I'd be able to do a real parts build in today's market. I found my first Six Sixty around 2007 for $80, which I thought was kinda steep at the time.

I feel really bad for the folks who are trying to do these now, but I suppose we do it to ourselves. We've done it to ourselves time and time again.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

SubLevel5 likes this.
  9. cjdesign

Yes, cast parts are great, forgot to mention my total amount includes "troopers" lens, clip and wedge.

Overall, Star Wars memorabilia has increased since Ep7 as new fans come on board. Example, I was lucky enough to find a m19 scope when I joined the 501st 3 years ago. I paid $250 and now you can't touch one for less then $700-800. in fact when the modelers need a scope they offer over 2500.00 for one m19. supply and demand.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  10. cjdesign

Its all you guys' fault...:love
    if it wasn't for this thread I would have never known about this. everyday that passes... another fan is looking for these parts. Since these parts are getting very expensive. A part of me can't justify pulling a button from a perfectly working antique camera for a $20 knob or painting a real kaligar lens that's worth $500. These items have now become high collectible and will increase in value for years to come. Unless, we are hit by a meteorite then all this **** is worthless.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    nailuj likes this.
  11. mgoob

Have you received this yet?
    I'd like to see detailed photos of these.
    Then compare those photos to Kalimar knobs to see if they are really a good choice.

12. cjdesign

Yes! The Kalimar Reflex/Fujita 66 buttons are identical to the 660s. Same camera really. The only difference I can see is the leather pattern on the top of the button is a little different - coarse vs fine. Also there were two versions of the 660. A black version (this is what I have) & the gray/green version and the top of the buttons had the corresponding color leather. Note: The cameras mentioned above have the black leather top knobs. If you looking for grey leather knobs you'll have to buy another 660.

I'll post a side by side later tonight...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  13. mgoob

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Do you know if the Rolleicord knobs are an exact match?

14. MastahBlastah

MastahBlastah Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A crafty person may cut some grey/green leather from the body of a scrap 660 and replace the leather atop these similar knobs?

SubLevel5 likes this.
  15. Dann

Yes, MastahBlastah, absolutely!

I've done this and offered to do this for folks in the past, I've got lots of spare grey material.

By the way, it's not ONLY the Six Sixty that was made in grey. Like cjdesign just said, the Kalimar Reflex, Fujuta 66, Soligor, etc (many companies made the same camera, some had slight differences) are basically the same camera.

I've had several Kalimar Reflexes that are grey, and several Six Sixties that are black.

16. cjdesign

The Rolleicord buttons have a .25mm-.5mm thicker upper rim, but for the most part, it's the same style button and very close in dimensions. Measure with my calipers... +/- .25mm.

660/Reflex:
    12.10mm button width / 16.34mm button base

Rollicord:
    12.35mm button width / 16.8mm button base with screws

IMG_5162.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    mgoob likes this.
  17. SiMan

SiMan Member

Does anyone know where i might be able to pick up a six sixty i seem to be really struggling

18. Dann

Just wait, they pop up on eBay from time to time.

19. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

...and then sell for stupid money. Even eumigs are going for £100 plus in the UK at times from sellers who know what they're needed for.

20. cjdesign

Yes, and Im guilty of purchasing one of those a month ago. £120. I think I got it on the low side because the seller had local uk pick up only on the auction and she agreed to send.

21. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

Yeah, one on there for £220 at the mo. They were £20+ at the start of the year.

22. cjdesign

yep, just saw that! they just dropped the price.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  23. cjdesign

Supply and demand.. and a huge thank you to MastahBlastah for creating this thread.
    For the sake of everybody that is trying to find the last golden ticket, i mean Kalimar camera. Delete this thread immediately. ;) lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  24. xbadcardx

xbadcardx Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, just give up, it's not worth it haha.

25. Yaan

Yaan New Member

Have an Eumig, will trade for Kalimar hood.

26. cjdesign

Maybe the kalimar 660 wasn't the only camera used? the Fujita 66 SQ is the same camera with a "fujita" branded lens identical to kaligar 80mm
    Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 9.41.50 AM.png

27. Dann

Yep, that's relatively common knowledge. Kalimar, Fujita, Soligor and possibly other brand names have been slapped on that same camera body.

DarkLyte likes this.
  28. cjdesign

anybody have any grey leather from a 660 they can spare/sell need to re-skin 4 black rolleicord buttons. Pm with details, cheers!
    ****found****

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  29. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i have a Kalimar Reflex camera available if anyone needs it. Good for an alternative viewfinder hood.

30. Saranac

Saranac Member

PM sent

31. Jediseth

Jediseth Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone know Is the Ben and Howell 220 knob and the 624 knob the exact same? That ring shown outside the center knob looks different to me. I've noticed that the grey knob on the 624 is way easier to find than the 220. In fact I've never seen one. I don't really want to paint a red knob grey. I like it original.

Also I found this connector on Ebay if anyone is interested. It's not exactly the right model, but someone might like it better than a cast one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hirose-P-1...ries-Connector-with-Housing-Used/272606391173\\

And another question does anyone know if another camera out there makes the same view finder as the Kalimar 660?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  32. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

only the mentioned fujita sq, but has a different label on the viewer, so it would not be 100% correct, but very usable

33. Jediseth

I got this in the mail today. Not very easy to get. I know it's not the exact one used, but I'm happy for now considering. Does anyone know how to get the female off of it? I know it has to be de-soldered and I can do that I'm just not sure if I should keep the board and paint it black and then put it back on the pins. I'm a little confused how to get it together.

ioeBW5b.jpg

34. Jediseth

How does this look Star Wars fans? Sorry MastahBlastah for stealing your thread. Now to go down the rest of this road to one day getting these made.

fH5220K.jpg
    mFd7J9d.png

nailuj and DarkLyte like this.
  35. Dann

That looks great!!

36. mgoob

Well done; the wire you wrapped around it looks like the photos, IMHO.

37. Dann

Yeah, that's what I meant to say! The wire looks spot on!

38. Jediseth

Thanks guys! I decided make another thread, this one is huge and to find the actual build parts takes some digging.

39. DarkLyte

DarkLyte Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Never got around to posting a before and after photo of my Macros! I need to stop being lazy and post my build thread.

04ce230657fb1bcde656067d8d4e1214.jpg 15cc3ae13a4686e2f4c3d11d70b10e1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Dann, Red Hawk, nailuj and 4 others like this.
  40. Dann

Really nice work!

Did you paint the Eumig, or are my eyes playing tricks?

What colors did you use for the lenses? I'm actually revisiting my Hero Macros now that I've just about finished the Stunts, and I'm painting the lenses (FINALLY), rebuilding the T Box, Big Seagull knob and belt clip. May switch out my old Russrep lens plate for a DEC as well.

41. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice macros

42. Dann

I have a question. I'm making some improvements to my hero Macros, and I'm wondering if there ever was an agreed consensus on whether the belt clip was mounted on the door or on the underside of the Eumig face plate, behind the door hinge.

43. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

It's mounted on the faceplate. I believe this is about the only pic I have showing the clip. Its a deleted scene.

DSC00430.JPG

44. Dann

OMG, thank you so much for posting this!

45. Jediseth

Yep mounted on the Plate above the hinge on Hero and mounted bottom of hinge on Stunt.

Dann likes this.
  46. Dann

Guess I'm either gonna have to use pop rivets, or change the way the faceplate attaches to the body, because I won't be able to open her up to screw in the two little screws that originally attach the face plate to the body with the clip already attached.

I don't want to attach the clip by simply tapping the screw holes (though I suppose it's an option) in the face plate. I'd really rather have nuts on the inside, for sturdiness.

I've heard folks theorize that rivets were used originally, though I've never seen proof of that.

I'm also rebuilding the big Seagull knob, rebuilding the t box, cleaning up the EL wiring, printing a female 8-pin, etc..

I'll try and find my old build thread and post updates there so as not to clutter up someone else's build thread! Sorry about that!

Jediseth likes this.
  47. Jediseth

I used 4-40 screws and they worked great!
    I think I found a female connector for you. I’ll PM you the details.

48. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I used rivets on mine mainly because it looks like they used them on the stunt. Another good option is to go with button head allens. They look like rivets from a distance.

Jediseth likes this.
  49. JonRead

JonRead New Member

Further to the discussion on the circular Eumig plate. Rather than painting it black. If it’s just flipped over and then stuck down again. Firstly it’s black in colour and secondly mine has some glue residue from when it was originally fitted. Would this glue residue look like a whitish smudge? Why would they paint it black when they could simply flip it over.

Jediseth likes this.
  50. Dann

Personally I'm of the opinion that the plate was simply removed and left off, but you are correct, if it IS there at any time, why bother painting it the same color?