Buffing metalizer and spray laquer

samura indy

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I'm currently working on a model M-5 Phalanx and I've got a buffing metalizer paint for a section of it. I'm aware that residue comes off this paint when handled even after drying, and this is a prop for a costume that will be handed quite a bit.
I also have a spray lacquer that I'll be coating the whole thing it to protect it. Do you think that the lacquer will prevent the residue from coming off? And will this affect the actual metalizer paint in any way?

Do you think that the lacquer will prevent the residue from coming off? And will this affect the actual metalizer paint in any way?

It should, yes. The issue with high-shine metallics is that there is no binder holding the metal particles, which in turn is what makes them so shiny. Adding a clear coat on top of that binds them to the surface. However, unless the clear coat is specifically formulated for covering metallics it will KILL the shine to a dull grey. Alclad makes a clear coat that does not dull the metallic of their stuff but there are other makers out there.

You need to use Acrylic Clear. Alclad as mentioned, or even the Pledge (Future) floor wax should work. Though in my experience they will both still dull it a bit, so test it before doing your full prop.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided not to go with the metalizer and instead just using a regular silver paint and using a gloss coat over the top then masking it and doing the dull coat over the top of the rest of it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back