Interest Buck Rogers "To Kill a City" Blaster...

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang,

Hope you are all safe and healthy.

So... a fellow RPFer asked me if I could make the mini laser blaster from the episode "To Kill a City". The one used by the female mercenary, that Buck briefly steals. (The gun, not the girl, lol.)

See here:
1595780473046.png

I figured I might do a limited run of kits for folks here if there is any demand.

The original was made of Kydex, with stickers (!) on top. Instead of messing about with heat-forming Kydex, I have replicated the texture in the 3d model. Power selector moves and the emitter is a solid-printed clear block with space for a 5mm LED. A trigger in the form of a electronic pushbutton (like those seen on many other Buck Rogers blasters) is included. Body is hollow and has a removable plate for inserting a battery. I will be using high-resolution screens from the episode to transfer the power gauge and setting indicators to a sticker sheet.

Here's the kit (pushbutton not pictured). These parts are straight from the printer, only the supports have been removed. The frosted clear emitter can be made crystal-clear by spraying with a clear coat or polishing. Body is printed in engineering-grade resin.
1595780808811.png

Kydex texture:
1595780841187.png

Loosely assembled:
1595780854410.png

Cost for a set of parts is $150 shipped. I could also offer finished versions with a working LED inside, but count on one of those costing $450-500.

Chime in here if you are 100% in.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'll take a kit. Great to see pieces still being offered from these older shows.
Awesome! It would be ideal if I could print them in batches of 3 or 4. (I still have to check how many I can fit at once.)

I've been on kind of a retro kick lately, doing Jack Deths blaster and some other things, including this one. (I also got it into my head that I need to get an old Amiga computer for some retro gaming...)

Awesome! It would be ideal if I could print them in batches of 3 or 4. (I still have to check how many I can fit at once.)

I've been on kind of a retro kick lately, doing Jack Deths blaster and some other things, including this one. (I also got it into my head that I need to get an old Amiga computer for some retro gaming...)

Have you considered making the main larger laser pistol from Buck Rogers? I've never really seen a good solid kit of that one.

Have you considered making the main larger laser pistol from Buck Rogers? I've never really seen a good solid kit of that one.
When I started this one, I actually started looking at Buck's and Hawk's pistols too. Certainly doable, but if I print them I imagine the cost could be upwards of 300-400. (Casting isn't really an option for me. First, I hate dealing with bubbles and things but also... I've apparently become allergic to casting resins. Even with protection, my skin has started itching like crazy the last couple of times I did it.)

This is one of those few laser pistols used in the series that really looks functional.
You can put me down as interested in a kit.

I'm also interested in one of the first season Buck Roger pistols.

Last edited:
This is one of those few laser pistols used in the series that really look functional.
You can put me down as interested in a kit.

I'm also interested in one of the first season Buck Roger pistols.
Will do, thank you!

I'd also be interested in an accurate first season pistol.

As for the bigger pistols... which would be better... the top or bottom one? (Been a while since I watched it enough to know which is which, but the bottom one was used by Hawk, yes?
1595805547723.png

Hawk was just so awesome (for his time)! Like a mix of Khan and Spock! And thanks for the other image. I have a few screen used shots, but not that one. Looks VERY well preserved. From what I can tell, reading past auctions, the standard BR blasters were about 12" long.

I decided to go ahead and print up three copies of the small laser to start- that's how many I can fit on a plate. (They will be done tonight.) Will have some final cost soon but it'll be in the lower end of the guesstimate, as I'm just going to assume a few of these will go over time.

Hawk was just so awesome (for his time)! Like a mix of Khan and Spock! And thanks for the other image. I have a few screen used shots, but not that one. Looks VERY well preserved. From what I can tell, reading past auctions, the standard BR blasters were about 12" long.

I decided to go ahead and print up three copies of the small laser to start- that's how many I can fit on a plate. (They will be done tonight.) Will have some final cost soon but it'll be in the lower end of the guesstimate, as I'm just going to assume a few of these will go over time.
One of the actors from the "Golden Boy" episode owned the blaster. It was given to him by Gil Gerard.
The original is a fiberglass copy with electronics inside of it. I was hoping to get it and make a mold, but I think it sold for $3K: A little out of my price range.
Here's some more photos:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l16001.jpg
s-l16003.jpg
s-l16004.jpg

One of the actors from the "Golden Boy" episode owned the blaster. It was given to him by Gil Gerard.
The original is a fiberglass copy with electronics inside of it. I was hoping to get it and make a mold, but I think it sold for $3K: A little out of my price range.

Awesome shots! I would have thought it would go for more than 3k! Looking at it... shouldn't be too difficult to model up, maybe in 3-4 pieces plus the clear emitter. It's big though... so as I mentioned earlier, cost of printing would be kinda high.

In other news, I have have three printed sets of parts for the mini laser and am wrapping up the decals. (Had to reprint one because the surface wasn't 'perfect'. Normally, very slight print artefacts are OK but you can't sand these much or the kydex texture would be ruined, so they the surface tolerances are more crucual.) Final cost will be $150 shipped so I'll be sending out PMs shortly.

This looking really great love Buck Rogers once in a while i will binge watch the how...L. The latest Propstore has the Hawk Suit, head piece and pistol up for auction.

Last edited:
Bump to the top. I can still make these but since I'm currently pretty much out of resin and unless I get a few things to print that will justify buying a new supply (one of these isn't nearly enough) then there will be a delay in getting them out. (I DO have one second print quality kit in the junkyard that I'm letting go for less, though.)

Also would be interested in an accurate first season pistol.
I'm thinking of doing it. Might also use a new ABS-like engineering resin I'm thinking of trying. It'd be "idealized" if I do, no wonkiness. And as I mentioned earlier, a piece that large might cost upwards of 400.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back