Buck Rogers Starfighter Helmet & BSG (TOS) Headset

Houston Robocop

Howdy,

I recently purchased a screen-used Battlestar Galactica (TOS) headset for use in a Buck Rogers prop I've been working on.

It's the headset microphone used by the bridge communications crew and some Viper pilots in BSG, and later re-used on Buck Rogers by the Earth Directorate comm crew, and mounted on the Starfighter helmets.
( note: this was also the same headset used by Buck Rogers in the pilot/movie opening inside his Ranger 3 shuttle...... How his 20th century headset and the Earth Directorate's 25th century headset is identical is just puzzling :confused )

headset1.jpg

Anyhow.... my headset is missing the adjustable metal and plastic band that goes around your head, and the plastic piece that rests on your temple.

Anyone here know of a source for them or accurate measurements for these missing parts?

Thanks.... Nicholas :D

P.S.

Since I'm makeing a replica molded off the original prop for my Starfighter helmet (pic below)....
Is there any interest for this headset replica by BSG fans in the house???
Just curious :)

starfighterhelmet3.JPG

starfighterhelmet1.JPG

starfighterhelmet2.JPG

Nick, that looks FANTASTIC... :eek

You KNOW I'm interested in all things BSG and BR. :D

Thanks Funky....... :D

UPDATE...

Holy Crap.?..... I just found out these headset are still being made today :eek

I inquired this to BSG fans on several sites a few years ago and no one seems to have a clue to the origins of this headset. And here I am, having just spent a chunk of change for this screen-used headset :lol
and now I found out this thing is still being produced today :cry

Except for the updated head band and temple piece, everything else is still the same as the original model made back in the late 70's.

The only problem is that this model is a high-end headset and the MSRP is about $300 bucks. Street price is about $180 or so unless you find one used.

Oh, well....... at least I got what I wanted.

Nick :unsure

For those interested it's a Shure headset, Model SM12A.

Other than the headband and the plastic temple rest, everything looks to be the same as the original.

They also have a cheaper model without the audio-in earphone for around $120.

Nick :D

Shure_sm12a_cn.jpg

Is anyone doing a replica of one of these? I'm not sure if it would be any cheaper done as a static prop.

Rigging a real one as a cell phone head set would be fun for conventions!

I bought a brand new replacement microphone (minus the headband) for $15 bucks off ebay a few months ago for my Starfighter Helmet replica.

You can buy used SM10A model for $35~$50 bucks. You want the older 1970~80's model with the single plastic headband (the newer ones use a split metal headband instead)

You can buy replacement parts from Shure, but I don't know if you can buy just the shell without the electronics :unsure

Nick

For those of you interested, here's a pic of the headset (microphone only)

BTY, On both Buck Rogers and Battlestar galactica (TOS), they also used another type of headset which is just a slim metal tube. I suspect it may be the Shure SM headset with the microphone tip removed but I'm not sure.

Nick

untitledimage6_1.jpg

untitledimage7.jpg

I can't really tell from the pic, does this headset have an in ear piece? Thanks for the pics! I'd rather wear this than a viper helmet at a mid summer convention like Comic Con.

Model SM12A is the one with the in-ear audio-in piece and the ones used in the TV series.

They cost allot more than the SM10A (pictured in my previous post) which don't have the ear piece.

Nick

Nice find there, If we could get a buch of those, we might be able to custom make a bunch of the rest of the headsets!

And I agree, the headset beats the helmet in the summer ;)

Just a bit of trivia- this headset was also used for Kyle Reese's future resistance soldier:

headset001.jpg

His had the single piece headband as well. Not sure if it was a 10A or 12A but I bought a 10A for my Reese impression.

Kevin

"Core systems transferring control to probe craft. Launch when ready."

imageuploadimage.gif

:D

:love

I found a whole batch of cheapo version mics that will work perfectly. The tip itself is almost identicle, but instead of the arm being a solid metal rod mine is a plastic coated bendy wire though when painted up silver makes for a dead-on match.
Just a side note here for Nick: The Thunderfighter helmets arrived safely and we love them! I'm about half done with mine! Great job on these! :thumbsup

Thanks Funky,

BTY, I was looking for helmet interior padding at Academy (Don't know if you have them in Tulsa but it's a sporting goods store).
I found some student football helmet with these really cool "sci-fi looking" padded liners that attaches with velcro.

I've looked on-line but can't seems to find these type of padding by itself so I'm just gonna buy the whole helmet (which is not that expensive, under $30 bucks I think).

I'll going to Academy right now and I'll post a pic of the liner later tonight. anyone know where I can buy just the replacement padded liners please let me know. They look great in any space helmets.

Nick

:love

I found a whole batch of cheapo version mics that will work perfectly. The tip itself is almost identicle, but instead of the arm being a solid metal rod mine is a plastic coated bendy wire though when painted up silver makes for a dead-on match.
Just a side note here for Nick: The Thunderfighter helmets arrived safely and we love them! I'm about half done with mine! Great job on these! :thumbsup

Is it just the mic part or is it the entire headset? if it's the entire headset, I'm very interested in gettin one, or the info on where to order.

Excellent news my friend!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back