Buck Rogers Starfighter Helmet & BSG (TOS) Headset

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Houston Robocop, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Houston Robocop

Houston Robocop Well-Known Member

Howdy,

I recently purchased a screen-used Battlestar Galactica (TOS) headset for use in a Buck Rogers prop I've been working on.

It's the headset microphone used by the bridge communications crew and some Viper pilots in BSG, and later re-used on Buck Rogers by the Earth Directorate comm crew, and mounted on the Starfighter helmets.
    ( note: this was also the same headset used by Buck Rogers in the pilot/movie opening inside his Ranger 3 shuttle...... How his 20th century headset and the Earth Directorate's 25th century headset is identical is just puzzling :confused )

[​IMG]

Anyhow.... my headset is missing the adjustable metal and plastic band that goes around your head, and the plastic piece that rests on your temple.

Anyone here know of a source for them or accurate measurements for these missing parts?

Thanks.... Nicholas :D

P.S.

Since I'm makeing a replica molded off the original prop for my Starfighter helmet (pic below)....
    Is there any interest for this headset replica by BSG fans in the house???
    Just curious :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nick, that looks FANTASTIC... :eek

You KNOW I'm interested in all things BSG and BR. :D

3. Houston Robocop

Thanks Funky....... :D

UPDATE...

Holy Crap.?..... I just found out these headset are still being made today :eek

I inquired this to BSG fans on several sites a few years ago and no one seems to have a clue to the origins of this headset. And here I am, having just spent a chunk of change for this screen-used headset :lol
    and now I found out this thing is still being produced today :cry

Except for the updated head band and temple piece, everything else is still the same as the original model made back in the late 70's.

The only problem is that this model is a high-end headset and the MSRP is about $300 bucks. Street price is about $180 or so unless you find one used.

Oh, well....... at least I got what I wanted.

Nick :unsure

4. Frankel Halresien

Frankel Halresien New Member

I used to have one . They are made by Shure michrophone Co. I play drums prof. and I used that same model back in the 80'S...

5. Houston Robocop

Yhea, Allot of musicians like drummers uses them. I used to play bass in several bands and never noticed this.

Nick

6. Houston Robocop

For those interested it's a Shure headset, Model SM12A.

Other than the headband and the plastic temple rest, everything looks to be the same as the original.

They also have a cheaper model without the audio-in earphone for around $120.

Nick :D

[​IMG]

7. monolith21

monolith21 Well-Known Member

Is anyone doing a replica of one of these? I'm not sure if it would be any cheaper done as a static prop.

Rigging a real one as a cell phone head set would be fun for conventions!

8. Houston Robocop

I bought a brand new replacement microphone (minus the headband) for $15 bucks off ebay a few months ago for my Starfighter Helmet replica.

You can buy used SM10A model for $35~$50 bucks. You want the older 1970~80's model with the single plastic headband (the newer ones use a split metal headband instead)

You can buy replacement parts from Shure, but I don't know if you can buy just the shell without the electronics :unsure

Nick

9. monolith21

Thanks a bunch! I'll have to track one of those down. I'm glad I found this old thread! :thumbsup

10. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

you're not the only one interested in this :) good find!!!

11. Houston Robocop

For those of you interested, here's a pic of the headset (microphone only)

BTY, On both Buck Rogers and Battlestar galactica (TOS), they also used another type of headset which is just a slim metal tube. I suspect it may be the Shure SM headset with the microphone tip removed but I'm not sure.

Nick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. monolith21

I can't really tell from the pic, does this headset have an in ear piece? Thanks for the pics! I'd rather wear this than a viper helmet at a mid summer convention like Comic Con.

13. Houston Robocop

Model SM12A is the one with the in-ear audio-in piece and the ones used in the TV series.

They cost allot more than the SM10A (pictured in my previous post) which don't have the ear piece.

Nick

14. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

Nice find there, If we could get a buch of those, we might be able to custom make a bunch of the rest of the headsets!

And I agree, the headset beats the helmet in the summer ;)

15. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Just a bit of trivia- this headset was also used for Kyle Reese's future resistance soldier:

[​IMG]

His had the single piece headband as well. Not sure if it was a 10A or 12A but I bought a 10A for my Reese impression.

Kevin

16. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

nice! good find there!

17. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Core systems transferring control to probe craft. Launch when ready."

[​IMG]

:D

18. Funky

:love

I found a whole batch of cheapo version mics that will work perfectly. The tip itself is almost identicle, but instead of the arm being a solid metal rod mine is a plastic coated bendy wire though when painted up silver makes for a dead-on match.
    Just a side note here for Nick: The Thunderfighter helmets arrived safely and we love them! I'm about half done with mine! Great job on these! :thumbsup

19. Houston Robocop

Thanks Funky,

BTY, I was looking for helmet interior padding at Academy (Don't know if you have them in Tulsa but it's a sporting goods store).
    I found some student football helmet with these really cool "sci-fi looking" padded liners that attaches with velcro.

I've looked on-line but can't seems to find these type of padding by itself so I'm just gonna buy the whole helmet (which is not that expensive, under $30 bucks I think).

I'll going to Academy right now and I'll post a pic of the liner later tonight. anyone know where I can buy just the replacement padded liners please let me know. They look great in any space helmets.

Nick

20. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

Is it just the mic part or is it the entire headset? if it's the entire headset, I'm very interested in gettin one, or the info on where to order.

Excellent news my friend!!

21. Funky

Nick, yup we have Academy here as well...a couple of them. Could you post a pic of the liner inside one of your helmets just so I know I'm getting the right one?

22. Houston Robocop

Just got back from Academy Sports.

The football helmets I looked at costs $40 bucks... not $30 like I thought :$

I decided not to spend 40 bucks just for a few pieces of foam padding.

Gonna look around for cheaper options.

Nick

23. Funky

I almost ran out to Academy tonight to pick one up! So really it's not worth it? Would it be possible to recreate it?

24. monolith21

Wow...this things is a good prop to have. That and I can think of a few practical uses for it as well!

25. Run Runner

Run Runner Well-Known Member

I think most of the original helmets just had a styrofoam liner in them. I know a guy that has an original helmet, and that is what is in his.

26. Funky

For the BR helmets or the BSG helmets?

27. stephen210

stephen210 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone have a picture of the inside? Also How does the mic attach to the helmet?

Nick...LOVE the helmet.

Steve

28. Run Runner

The Buck Rogers helmets had the white styrofoam liners. I have a couple of shots of Gil's helmet with a black liner. This may have been his custom helmet. It looks like some of the mics were attached with tape and can go on either side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Run Runner

There was a seen in the movie that the helmets had the pilots name on the side. I kind of like that.

[​IMG]

Also take a good look at the instrument panel.

30. Houston Robocop

My screen-used Starfighter helmet just had a thin 1/4 inch thick black foam liner all around. I'm pretty sure it had additional padding inside to make it wearable.

Most of the helmets made after the movie/pilot had the white molded styofoam liner (it's one of those bicycle helmet dome liner)
    There's no right or wrong way to pad your helmet, I'm going with what looks good and will give me a comfort fit.

The way they mount the microphone was pretty cheesy.... it's just stuck in place either on the inside of the helmet, or sandwiched between the helmet and the ear com with black electrical tape! :lol
    I'm making a magnetic mount for my helmet so it can be taken on and off quickly so I don't poke myself in the eye with the microphone if I want to wear it.

BTY, Gil had the prop department make him a custom "extra large size" helmet for the TV series. It's a modified BELL motorcycle helmet so the interior was the fancy black cloth-covered foam.

Nick

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  31. stephen210

stephen210 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

cool.
    Buck's helmet appreas to have the same earcups as the X-wing helmets. Old APH-6 flight helmet, leather covered ones.
    The Bell helmet would not have had earcups. So I'm guessing these are add-ons.

Great shots

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  32. Houston Robocop

Steve,

The pic your looking at is a screen-cap from the Movie before he had the custom-made helmet.

I think for the movie they had just one helmet with the leather liner.
    I've never seen it used in the TV series.

Nick

33. Funky

You are correct, sir.

34. Run Runner

After the first few episodes of the series, they made some changes to the comm units on the helmets. It looks like they changed out the mic too. It looks like the mic is now mounted between the helmet and the comm unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. KenKenobi2

KenKenobi2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just found this thread. Any viewable pix of the helmet that HR did? I'd love one of those. Maybe more than any other helmets. I LOVED BR as a kid. Looking for te 1st season pistol kit too.