BSG Raptor - "Fix That Fracking Gimble!"

Jestefarean

Sr Member
Much to my own chagrin, due to limited time I'm a terribly slow model builder. I started this almost 3 years ago. Prior to building this I hadn't done much modeling since I was a kid. This has been my most ambitious effort, trying to teach myself new techniques.

The mottled paint job was meant to closely resemble the CG model, which I found fascinating. At some point this will be the first of 3, with the other two being lit. I wanted this one to be shut down sitting on the deck. As I worked on it I thought about the first scene with the Raptor in the preview where Boomer steps off yelling at the Chief to fix the fracking gimble, and the chief insists there isn't anything wrong. In my mind, he's back late at night on his own running scans of the ship and fixing the fracking gimble. At some point I'll track down a little metal sign for it, but that's the story.

I hope you like it, and I'd love any expert advice on what I could have done differently, and perhaps how I would have gone about that.

Thanks.

That's a great build for a return to the hobby, seriously. Have any more views?

Were I to pick nits, the canopy seems to have the most issues that would prevent this from being an award winner, but they're pretty minor. The front bubble, which if I remember correctly is a vacuum-formed piece in this kit, could use some fine polishing to make it clear (although it could be argued that this well-used, war-torn Raptor has seen a lot of action). I find that polishing and dipping clear parts in a couple of layers of future really makes clear parts read as glass.

And the base itself - I've used these wood plaques but they need a lot of work to read as anything more than a wood plaque. The ends in particular need a lot of filling and sanding, often much more work than you'd think which is why I've sort of given up on them and went with alternates.

That's really about it, and to be honest neither of these are things I'd bother modifying if I had this kit finished in front of me. Great job!

Great feedback. Thank you! Do you mind me asking what you use for alternates for bases? I have some nice kits others made on wood, and clearly they had better woodworking tools then I do. Thankfully, thats something I can replace, so I'd love a line on something better.

The canopy, on the other hand, was a bear. I didn't think about using future, and I have a huge bottle here next to me. (insert head slap! ) Thanks, I'll try that next time. The frame itself didn't fit right, and I couldn't seem to figure out how to fix it short of trying to use some Aves to build up the base so it fit better. In the end I gave up and said it was so I could take some shots of the interior! :)

I was pretty proud of making the door removable (magnets), maybe I'll try and rig up something similar for the canopy and fix that.

Canopies are a tricky bit, I've struggled with them as well. The future trick works like magic, but you've gotta make sure you can dip the part, let as much run off as you can, then let it dry somewhere dust won't get on it - I try to secure mine under a clear storage box, covered.

As far as bases go, the trick is to transform whatever you've used into something that fits the model. This blog post about our recent model display at the Emerald City Comicon shows some neat options (but even there you'll see some of my older models that definitely are on the same plaques :)

Model Mayhem at Emerald City ComiCon 2013 | Christopher Doll

Really nice work! Good choice for the base color, and the mottling and weathering look natural and realistic.

I'm still hoping Moebius Models will eventually produce a styrene version of this ship.

Awesome looking paint job jestefarean!!!!!! What scale is this model?

I too am waiting for Moebius to come out with this kit in 1/32 scale.

Bad Azz (click and scroll down http://www.jt-graphics.com/MK_BA.html) has the Raptor in 3 Flavors and they are all on sale!!!!!!! I would have to sell a few kits I have in my stash to buy one.

My favorite of the three, the most expensive, is the Assault Raptor with all the extra missiles and guns.

Reamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic and Inspiring work. I have a 1/72 Black Sun Raptor semi-started that this is totally making me want to go back to once I get a few more projects further along.

I think everyone has inspired me to replace the base. I'll have to start looking for ideas. Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm hoping Bad Azz comes out with the Blood and Chrome Raptor.

I'm hoping Bad Azz comes out with the Blood and Chrome Raptor.

I'm not sure if Bad Azz will come out with a Blood & Chrome Raptor. The three Raptor versions he has at the moment are on sale due to the announcement that Moebius has the Raptor on the drawing board to be released possibly next year.

Bad Azz wants to sell as many as he can before the much cheaper Moebius kit hits the stores.

Reamer

I'm not sure if Bad Azz will come out with a Blood & Chrome Raptor. The three Raptor versions he has at the moment are on sale due to the announcement that Moebius has the Raptor on the drawing board to be released possibly next year.
YES!!!!!

Uhhh...I mean, boy, I sure hope that happens. :cool

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back