Bowcaster Build - I think I’m ready?

A few more details.
1. Cut a hole in front sling mounting strap. Use a 5/16 leather punch to make it clean.
2. Drilled out side knobs to accept screws.
89CE497C-00CF-4D94-92B9-EED3862B3FA6.jpeg
4231ECC4-F2DF-4058-BDB0-909B9FCD4DA7.jpeg
124C77FE-E6F4-409C-B8D0-812B50F7DFDB.jpeg
C0295EBE-60B1-4F0C-959C-BACD9EEA294D.jpeg

Those knobs look spot on!! Awesome kit there!!! I’d love to have that hanging on my wall lol. Progress looks fantastic! :D

I think any cutting compound would work after a 2000 / 4000 grit wet sanding. Maybe try the wetsanding first with the highest grit? If it’s only a few layers, you could just polish right through it though :unsure:

Anyway keep up the good work!!

In test fitting parts I came upon a challenge. I can't get the scope rings for the Singlepoint to align straight on the scope rail. Its hard to see on this picture but it is shifted by a fair amount. This matters because the side scopes attach to these rings and they will be very tilted. Ive considered several ways to correct this but I thought I'd throw it out to the group. The only fix I can think of is to grind down the scope rail flaps. Jawajawa827
IMG_1303.JPG

Your build looks awesome so far Cameron! In terms of the tilting, since the flaps are bent to the exact same angle on both sides and the rings (even the ones I have) seem to have different cut heights is what causes the tilt. I'm almost certain that the original has this tilt since I think the flaps are bent to the same angle on the original bow as well. (If someone who has the original bow wants to say if there is a tilt or not that would give us the answer).
As far as correcting the tilt if desired, the easiest way would be to bend the left flaps (side that doesn't have the tightening dial) down a slight bit. To do that place the mount in a vice gently with the left flaps up above the edge of the vice and using 1-2 (enough to fully cover the flap) adjustable wrenches slowly bend each flap down.
Hope that helps :)

Hmm. I’m thinking the flap on the left gets bent up not down?

What is the thickness of the material, that the scope rail is made of?
The original is quite thin with about 0,064"

My first approach would be to reduce the thickness at the spot, where the scope rings attach.
My second approach would be to reduce the width a bit.

But be assured, that even on my real BC, the scope rings are not dead center on the rail

What is the thickness of the material, that the scope rail is made of?
The original is quite thin with about 0,064"

My first approach would be to reduce the thickness at the spot, where the scope rings attach.
My second approach would be to reduce the width a bit.

But be assured, that even on my real BC, the scope rings are not dead center on the rail
The rail is .05" so its thinner.

Im not so concerned with it being dead center on the rail. The problem is the deviation from center on the radial axis. This attachment point thows off the attached scopes by about 10 - 15 degrees. I will try some bending.

I am in need of some short scope ring feet. I need 3 sets. In the photo the feet I need are on the left. Looks like a few sources available for the longer but not the shorter. Anyone have a source?
IMG_1866.JPG

I drew this up in illustrator, the degrees may be slightly off but it shows the tilt on the bowcaster.
Hope this helps :)
Capture1.JPG

Awesome build, love this! If you're still struggling with the sheen, you might try a coat of shoe polish (I like the clear from Kiwi). Shines stuff right up, I'm using it on lots of things these days. You get a more "lived in" look than paint, which looks like...paint. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back