Boondock saints Props. Any Ideas?

Well damn. that just made it alot more difficult.. I'll never find a local source for that kinda chain in this "city"

You we're right about the shadows though, haha. They all had to be at exactly the right angle to make circular shadows.

I actually don't remember where that scene that shows them hanging on the wall close up is.... gonna have to just watch the movie again to find. (Not as if that's a bad thing)

Well, there you have it. Glad I hadn't actually gotten around to buying my beads yet. :lol

Now judging from the HD 'cap, does the chain look to have the twisted links, or are they just circular, & just miraculously (omgpun) hanging in a correct enough orientation to cast round shadows?

Well, there you have it. Glad I hadn't actually gotten around to buying my beads yet. :lol

Now judging from the HD 'cap, does the chain look to have the twisted links, or are they just circular, & just miraculously (omgpun) hanging in a correct enough orientation to cast round shadows?

From what I can see, it looks to be regular cable chain (Not twisted).

So, what are the dimensions of this Cross?
It seems to be three inches tall and half an inch thick, am i right?
I missed this question. From the official website when they first offered the rosary:

CROSS: ALL HAND MADE of the highest quality "center cuts" of North American Rock Maple (very heavy hard wood). Hand sanded. Soaked for 36 hours in a home-made Chocolate/Red Mahogany stain (yes, actual "Hershey's" chocolate syrup is one of the ingredients), high gloss urethane finish. The metal ring is made of "Lead-Loy" steel, for more added weight (the cross is very "heavy to the hand"). The ring is 3/16 of an inch thick, this is 0.6cm or just under a quarter of an inch.

DIMENSIONS OF CROSS: 2 and 3/8 inches by 3 and 9/16, 5/8 inches thick. (6.1cm / 9.1cm / 2cm)

NECKLACE: Wooden "spun" rosary beads and metal "antique" beads on Leather cording. Hangs at the naval.

;)

No problem mate!
The info is here now. :cool

So its a really big cross. I like it!
I wanted to make one for gift, but i will now make one for me too. Nah, make them two! :lol

But steel? Ain't gonna rust? Anyway, i aluminum is more easy to work with and is gonna stay shinny for much longer than the steel i can found.

Found this about making it with chain. Hope that will be helpful for others people who want to give it a try.
YouTube - How to make a rosary pt. 1

Many thanks for the info!

I don't remember them being anywhere near that big in the film.. I was always under the impression they were around the size of a normal rosary cross, around 2" or so.

Just remember, the licensed replica is NOT at all screen-accurate. :wacko

When did i make anything based on a licensed replica? :lol
Don't worry. I am already designing the Cross anew. I am perfectionist, so i can spent hours trying to make it as closer to the original as possible.

I don't remember them being anywhere near that big in the film.. I was always under the impression they were around the size of a normal rosary cross, around 2" or so.

Indeed. And the actors where not very tall (both are 5 ft 10 in).

But when you freese the moving picture. Here is what happens.

sean-patrick-flanery-boondock-0.jpg

So it seems they are really big Crosses and the director did something wrong and you can't notice their real size without freezing. But never seen this movie in the new HD TV, only in the old crappy one.
Actually the Crosses have to be big. Many Saints are known for wearing very big and heavy Crosses all their lives. The heaviest was 7lbs i think...

The licensed version:
DIMENSIONS OF CROSS: 2 and 3/8 inches by 3 and 9/16, 5/8 inches thick. (6.1cm / 9.1cm / 2cm)

So, yeah... is close to 3" wide by 4" tall...

But bigger is better! :cool
I mean, if you wear that on the street, or a convention, everybody is gonna notice!
But be aware. Don't wear such a big cross unconcealed of the street if there are issues of Political Correctiveness. Someones might find it offensive.

Anyway. Personally, i will create my own design based on movie designs. Of course it will be big enough as long as it looks like the Crosses from the movie.

OK got a question for some of you guys,what kind of boots did they use in the first movie? In some shots they look to be Timberland and a few other shots Murphy's boots look to a pair of Harley boots. Any help?

Notice the belt on the older brother. That's perhaps a standard 1.5" or so? The cross is approx double so perhaps it's 3" in height?

I got two of these toy 9mm pistols at K-mart for $5 each. They have a firing sound, the slide recoils with trigger pulls, and if you pull the slide back it makes a cocking noise. I used them for halloween costume props but they take paint pretty well and they have a pretty convincing look. If you just want to have some cheap guns for a display or something these would do the job nicely I imagine, or something to display with other props until you can get better replicas of the metal variety for that matter.

I apologize for the bad picture, my room is unnaturally dark at night.
costumeguns.png

Edit:Here's a link to some for sale on Amazon, price is steep there though, but it'll give you an idea of the packaging to look for.
http://www.amazon.com/Combat-9mm-Pistol/dp/B00366JGRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289970232&sr=8-1

I saw those and thought exactly the same thing! :lol

They seemed pretty accurate for being toys and, for that price, they'd make a great display. A little PVC pipe for the suppressors and you'd be gold.

I thought these were made my the same propmaster that made the ones for the movie? How exactly are they inaccurate? I've never seen one in person...

The Celtic Cross of the wooden rosaries in the films were formed like a triangle if you looked at them from one end of the cross. The BDS webpage rosary crosses are beveled down in the center of the cross where the metal circle is attached (making them thin and weak there), unlike the crosses in the movie, which are thick in the center where the silver metal circle is attached.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back