Bondo Fumes...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by WhiteCommando, Jun 6, 2006.

1. WhiteCommando

WhiteCommando Well-Known Member

My bet is yes. I am making the butt stock with bondo and it smells like stuff you would gas people with.

2. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

:eek Making a butt stock? That's a lot of bondo in one shot. I suspect that might cause dain bramage. Have you considered roughing it out in wood or some other medium? Then you just need enough bondo to smooth out the curves.

3. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eye usse bondO awl da tyme in mYe howse an iM FYne.

4. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Funky Jedi @ Jun 6 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1257422[/snapback]</div>
    * you Funky Jedi... you beat me to the gag. :lol

Although with the standard of grammar and spelling on the RPF, your humour may go unnoticed :p

Cheers,
    John

5. exoray

exoray Master Member

VERY TOXIC you should be wearing a certified respirator... :confused

6. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

Ask Hydin..

SNAP ;)

(That was meant as a joke, not trying to be a dick at all)

7. Funky

Although with the standard of grammar and spelling on the RPF, your humour may go unnoticed :p

Cheers,
    John
    [/quote]

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sooooo true.

8. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

There's...................fumes?
    AWWW MAN I thought my pizza smelled a little funky. Open the doors and all the windows, hit the fan. Better yet, do it outside :)

9. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

well, I don't know what they use for Bondo, but if you ask me (chemistry student), I would recommend quit eating strawberries at once. There are over 70 toxic substances within it, but if you them leave out, it wouldn't taste like strawberry anymore. Same goes to walnuts - cyanide in small quantities - eating a truck load and you're dead :D.
    The dosis makes the toxicity. It really depends on, how long you're exposed to the fumes.

@FunkyJedi:
    :D LMAO :D

10. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

You can add apples to that too. The guys on GI Joe killed some kind of big blob with an orchard. :lol

11. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I don't no if it does or not, but I love the smell of Bondo, always have.

I don't know if I love the smell of Bondo or Cam2 racing fuel better, I think Cam2 beats out the smell of Bondo by just a little.

Nothing like a good whiff of Cam2 at the track or at the local Hot Rod hangout as the cars go by. :lol I love summer time. :D

Lynn

12. exoray

exoray Master Member

From the MSDS of Bondo Body Filler...

<div class='quotetop'></div>

13. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Funky Jedi @ Jun 6 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1257422[/snapback]</div>
    LOL.

<div align="CENTER">"When asked if he thought Bondo fumes could cause brain damage, 'Funky Jedi' replied simply: 'ME FUNKY. CHOMP, BUH-CHEWY-CHOMP, BUH-CHEWY-CHOMP.'"

[​IMG]</div>

:lol

14. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

r u seerios u cnt b serrrrios

15. Funky

Jeww gize R seW fOnnee;

16. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

The answer that deals with the reality of the question is simply-- no. If you are a hobbiest, getting a headful of polyester fumes won't hurt you. It might give you a headache, but no real injury will be the result. The MSDS makes reference to "chronic, repeated over-exposure" that may or may not lead to the problems listed. Hobbiests don't need to worry about this as their exposure is perhaps a few hours at a time. You'd have to work in a fiberglass shop, like making boat hulls, to get the exposure that could cause a problem. Even then, you'd have to define what 'over-exposure' means to understand what the MSDS is really talking about. This is akin to the result that doomed saccarine for so long-- mice were given massive doses over a long period of time and the result was they got cancer. The equivalent dose for humans would be such that you'd have to live on the stuff to get that kind of exposure.

Additionally, pertinent to the Bondo question is the question of exposure to acetone. It would be very uncomfortable, but you could take a bath in acetone and it would not harm you. Acetone is made inside our bodies and is expelled in our waste. Washing something off our skin with acetone is perfectly safe. The smell might get to you, but that's about all the danger that's involved. A chemist once told me that even exposure to ammonia is nothing to worry about. He said you could get into a situation where the ammonia fumes might make you pass out, but that's because the ammonia was so much a percentage of the air that you weren't getting enough oxygen. Even at that, its not really hurting you, though it can burn the lungs. As long as someone pulls you back into the good air, so you don't suffocate, no damage would be done.

Now, I know this has nothing to do with Bondo, but it does go to show that breathing the fumes of commonly available chemicals may be uncomfortable, but as long as you don't do something stupid (like glue sniffers do), then you'll be fine. Just use adequate ventilation to keep the fumes from getting strong enough to bother you.

And before someone takes me to task on this, yes-- I've discussed all of this with doctors. I used all this stuff, and more, for years in the movie business and the information was something we were all concerned with. And please note, this only addresses breathing the fumes or, in the case of actone, getting it on your skin.

Scott

17. exoray

exoray Master Member

That is pretty clearly defined in the MSDS as well...

I will agree that the hobbiest is probably at little rish with the occational use, but then again everyone is different and just because it won't harm you doesn't mean it's safe...

18. falken108

falken108 Well-Known Member

Most of theese sort of items have tulouene(spelling)
    That is the stuff that is VERY bad for you.
    Use only outdoors or with an organic vapour mask.
    Scott

19. Harry Harris

Harry Harris Well-Known Member

On the subject of exposure to acetone check out the last paragraph of the last posting here:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026

I'd heard about the Tom Savini thing from a professional movie prop maker and makeup artist. I wouldn't risk it myself so it's gloves for me.

Harry

20. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

what about incidental exposure to Uranium. I only use it a couple of hours a week in a well lit and ventilated area and i wear a dustcoat and a paintball mask to protect myself. Would this be dangerous to my health? :confused

21. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Well-Known Member

I use Donbo and I dont have dain bramage, but . . . THAT DOOR TASTES BROWN ...

22. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

You see, the thing about using Bondo......when you use Bondo........
    ::heaps a pile on top of a new mold::
    Oh, that's pretty isn't it?........So when they come to take the donations.......
    ::Slops the bondo into shape, trimming edge excess::
    Man, that was a great album, wasn't it? Anyway, don't forget to....ah
    There was something I wanted to say about Bondo.....What was there about Hondo?
    ::hits the floor::
    Oh yeah.....ventilation....
    JJ

23. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Cenobyte @ Jun 6 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]1257436[/snapback]</div>
    scarily enough, i havent used bondo yet :lol

in a few weeks though, i will have the pleasure of using a lot of it, so yea, i gotta break down and buy a respirator.

wouldnt dream of touching the stuff without one ;)

chris

24. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Jun 14 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]1261295[/snapback]</div>
    scarily enough, i havent used bondo yet :lol

in a few weeks though, i will have the pleasure of using a lot of it, so yea, i gotta break down and buy a respirator.

wouldnt dream of touching the stuff without one ;)

chris
    [/b][/quote]
    I'll know when to stop using it when I start talking like Rick from Anchorman. I love lamp, I love carpet. :p
    But seriously I'm not surprised its not good if you use it all the time, I mean it smells terrible. :eek:

25. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(LogansRunner @ Jun 13 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]1261297[/snapback]</div>
    His name's Brick, you Bondo huffer. It's already too late :confused
    :D
    JJ

26. frosty

frosty Sr Member

Well i don't know about bondo but a while back i ended up having a stroke, i used to use fibreglass polyurathanes etc with little to no protection, i was lucky to come out the other side,the doctors said it was a combination of all the chemicals i was using that overloaded my system, nowadays i hardly use fibreglass, and stick to the rubber stuff, had to adapt some of my tools as my grip on the left side is not much good anymore but i am still 'using' only now i take better precuations.

27. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 15 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]1262284[/snapback]</div>
    His name's Brick, you Bondo huffer. It's already too late :confused
    :D
    JJ
    [/b][/quote]
    Lol, * I keep thinking its Rick, it is too late. :cry :p

28. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Watch all those car shows. Nobody uses a mask to put on putty. Sanding it is worse.
    Paint is different. Car paint will kill your lungs. I use a surplus military mask.

29. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(terryr @ Jun 15 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1262430[/snapback]</div>
    Bondo patching putty is another matter. Bondo you mix has noxious fumes that cannot be safe under most any circumstance.
    JJ

30. takevin

takevin Sr Member

two years ago when I made a predator combi stick, I was using pvc pipe and super glue and would heat it up to speed up the drying time. I got deady sick as you can guess, the doctor had asked if Im a heavy smoker, I said I dont smoke. Was home for a week from that. I have like five safety masks, but in my excitement for doing projects sometimes tend to forgot to put one on.

31. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

I was using polyester resin with fiberglassing on and off for some time without a mask.... began to studder. Began to use a respirator..... stopped studdering.