Bondo Fumes...

RedTwoX

Sr Member
:eek Making a butt stock? That's a lot of bondo in one shot. I suspect that might cause dain bramage. Have you considered roughing it out in wood or some other medium? Then you just need enough bondo to smooth out the curves.
 

Stormtrooper

Well-Known Member
<div class='quotetop'>(Funky Jedi @ Jun 6 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1257422[/snapback]</div>
Eye usse bondO awl da tyme in mYe howse an iM FYne.
[/b]
Damn you Funky Jedi... you beat me to the gag. :lol

Although with the standard of grammar and spelling on the RPF, your humour may go unnoticed :p

Cheers,
John
 

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Although with the standard of grammar and spelling on the RPF, your humour may go unnoticed :p

Cheers,
John
[/quote]

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sooooo true.
 

Jumpin Jax

Sr Member
There's...................fumes?
AWWW MAN I thought my pizza smelled a little funky. Open the doors and all the windows, hit the fan. Better yet, do it outside :)
 

YenChih Lin

Sr Member
well, I don't know what they use for Bondo, but if you ask me (chemistry student), I would recommend quit eating strawberries at once. There are over 70 toxic substances within it, but if you them leave out, it wouldn't taste like strawberry anymore. Same goes to walnuts - cyanide in small quantities - eating a truck load and you're dead :D.
The dosis makes the toxicity. It really depends on, how long you're exposed to the fumes.

@FunkyJedi:
:D LMAO :D
 

Lynn TXP 0369

Sr Member
I don't no if it does or not, but I love the smell of Bondo, always have.

I don't know if I love the smell of Bondo or Cam2 racing fuel better, I think Cam2 beats out the smell of Bondo by just a little.

Nothing like a good whiff of Cam2 at the track or at the local Hot Rod hangout as the cars go by. :lol I love summer time. :D

Lynn
 

exoray

Master Member
From the MSDS of Bondo Body Filler...

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Chronic: Repeated overexposure to this product may cause: central nervous system damage, hearing damage, kidney damage, liver abnormalities, lung damage, cardiac abnormalities, reproductive organ damage, blood effects, eye damage.[/b]
 

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
<div class='quotetop'>(Funky Jedi @ Jun 6 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1257422[/snapback]</div>
Eye usse bondO awl da tyme in mYe howse an iM FYne.
[/b]
LOL.

<div align="CENTER">"When asked if he thought Bondo fumes could cause brain damage, 'Funky Jedi' replied simply: 'ME FUNKY. CHOMP, BUH-CHEWY-CHOMP, BUH-CHEWY-CHOMP.'"

</div>

:lol
 

CaptCBoard

Well-Known Member
The answer that deals with the reality of the question is simply-- no. If you are a hobbiest, getting a headful of polyester fumes won't hurt you. It might give you a headache, but no real injury will be the result. The MSDS makes reference to "chronic, repeated over-exposure" that may or may not lead to the problems listed. Hobbiests don't need to worry about this as their exposure is perhaps a few hours at a time. You'd have to work in a fiberglass shop, like making boat hulls, to get the exposure that could cause a problem. Even then, you'd have to define what 'over-exposure' means to understand what the MSDS is really talking about. This is akin to the result that doomed saccarine for so long-- mice were given massive doses over a long period of time and the result was they got cancer. The equivalent dose for humans would be such that you'd have to live on the stuff to get that kind of exposure.

Additionally, pertinent to the Bondo question is the question of exposure to acetone. It would be very uncomfortable, but you could take a bath in acetone and it would not harm you. Acetone is made inside our bodies and is expelled in our waste. Washing something off our skin with acetone is perfectly safe. The smell might get to you, but that's about all the danger that's involved. A chemist once told me that even exposure to ammonia is nothing to worry about. He said you could get into a situation where the ammonia fumes might make you pass out, but that's because the ammonia was so much a percentage of the air that you weren't getting enough oxygen. Even at that, its not really hurting you, though it can burn the lungs. As long as someone pulls you back into the good air, so you don't suffocate, no damage would be done.

Now, I know this has nothing to do with Bondo, but it does go to show that breathing the fumes of commonly available chemicals may be uncomfortable, but as long as you don't do something stupid (like glue sniffers do), then you'll be fine. Just use adequate ventilation to keep the fumes from getting strong enough to bother you.

And before someone takes me to task on this, yes-- I've discussed all of this with doctors. I used all this stuff, and more, for years in the movie business and the information was something we were all concerned with. And please note, this only addresses breathing the fumes or, in the case of actone, getting it on your skin.

Scott
 

exoray

Master Member
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Even then, you'd have to define what 'over-exposure' means to understand what the MSDS is really talking about.[/b]
That is pretty clearly defined in the MSDS as well...

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Signs of Overexposure: Nausea, chest pain, lack of coordination, shortness of breath, dermatitis, redness and/or pain in eyes.[/b]
I will agree that the hobbiest is probably at little rish with the occational use, but then again everyone is different and just because it won't harm you doesn't mean it's safe...
 

falken108

Well-Known Member
Most of theese sort of items have tulouene(spelling)
That is the stuff that is VERY bad for you.
Use only outdoors or with an organic vapour mask.
Scott
 

LeMarchand

Sr Member
what about incidental exposure to Uranium. I only use it a couple of hours a week in a well lit and ventilated area and i wear a dustcoat and a paintball mask to protect myself. Would this be dangerous to my health? :confused
 
Top