Blueprint for AT-AT Revell

Héhé Merci encore!... Et bonne nouvelle que voilà de voir prochainement la suite des beautés de Maître Tox! :)

Hi Jay! ... And thank you hehe

Screenshot = MAJ + COMMAND (apple) + 3

... What's up with your radar dish? (I can't wait)

I'm Mac and PC, I'll have to try that keyboard command. Thank you.

I cast the parts in the order of the mailing list. Then I send out the email confirmation. I'll be casting more this afternoon.

Nice job! I'm actually doing the same exact thing for a TRON Legacy Recognizer. How exactly did you adjust for the lens distorts? I'll echo that doing this using Illustrator isn't easy, but I think it's probably the best way to go if you're cutting styrene.

Good luck! I'll be watching!!!

I cast the parts in the order of the mailing list. Then I send out the email confirmation. I'll be casting more this afternoon.

... :confused Jay, could you tell me where I stand on the list? In advance thank you!

Nice job! I'm actually doing the same exact thing for a TRON Legacy Recognizer. How exactly did you adjust for the lens distorts? I'll echo that doing this using Illustrator isn't easy, but I think it's probably the best way to go if you're cutting styrene.

Good luck! I'll be watching!!!

Thanks daverep. The corrections of distortions due to the lens of the camera are made on Photoshop:

032Image27.jpg

Here is the welcome window:

033Image28.jpg

We start by straighten the image (this could have been done it before but it's just as easy to do so by this way). We select the two points that we want to put back to the horizontal (roll):

034Image29.jpg

Result:

035Image30.jpg

We can now look to make up the deformation due to the lens:

036Image31.jpg

We can also "correct" alignment shooting both on the axis of pitch than on the one of yaw (what I did with the bottom shot), but this is not helpful here.
It remains to give the right size:

037Image32.jpg

Before and after:

038Image33.jpg

For lines of sight, just go to Illustrator:

039Image34.jpg

Hem ... Not easy to explain the gas plant but basically, the goal is to find the origin of the shooting (the lens) and its distance from the subject. Then we draw lines between this point and this and that point of the pic. We define a reference plane on which all the lines "just come and print the picture". Ensure that the said plane is perpendicular to the central axis of the shooting.
This aims to control whether a construction point is misplaced or not.
... Tedious, uh? :wacko

Baloo...WOW! Amazing! I totally didn't expect for you to do a tutorial, thank you!! I totally forgot the Lens Correction filter in Photoshop. That makes complete sense! Thanks so much! That's going to save me from a lot of headaches later on!

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks guys! Just happy to be helpful.

@ daverep: The headaches... That's me who got them hehe! :lol

@ darth_daniel: This is by guesswork (visual aspect, you know).
... the curves that were supposed to be straight lines come back to their original visual aspect...
;)

If you're using a toy as reference, like I'm having to do, and you take your own photos with a DSLR, Photoshop will read the metadata within your pic file and automatically adjust for lens distortion when you run the Lens Correction filter.

Baloo...you are a genius my friend! I'm still stunned on your focal point technique!

Dave

Many thanks, guys! :)

@ daverep: it's very cool, that. You are under which version of Photoshop?
... Because from my side with my CS3 version and my little Coolpix S1, I still need to do it manually ...

Many thanks, guys! :)

@ daverep: it's very cool, that. You are under which version of Photoshop?
... Because from my side with my CS3 version and my little Coolpix S1, I still need to do it manually ...

I'm using CS5...soon to move up to CS6. I'm not sure when Adobe started including the lens presets. I'm sure anyone who's a professional photographer could chime in. I'm a video/graphics guy, so I'm a bit lost on that. But I used the Lens Correction on the photos of the die cast I have and found some big differences. It never even occurred to me to run that filter.:lol Again, many thanks for the tutorials! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

... WIP of the day :

Here's a little update with the patches (one or two niceties that I've noticed when gluing). I pieced together a side to see if everything fits well. I have the parables holder-guns to do after but it starts well.

First, one of the blueprint's patches:

040Image35.jpg

And the board of templates for cutting:

041Image36.jpg

Here the PDF file in "full" version (with body/neck, cutaway and templates): AT-AT BLUEPRINT.pdf
... And still in ".ai" file but zipped : AT-AT BLUEPRINT (RPF).ai.zip

I glued the parts making up the left flank and did a dry assembly to verify. Sounds good:

042AT-ATTTE1.jpg

042AT-ATTTE2.jpg

042AT-ATTTE3.jpg

042AT-ATTTE4.jpg

042AT-ATTTE5.jpg

Well, there is no reason to laugh and cry victory, eh ... This is just the beginning ...

... The more "delicate" in this approach is to maintain the integrity of forms because the group flank/front/rear couples/floor/ceiling is not glued.
... I let you guess why. :p

Attachments

• AT-AT BLUEPRINT.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
  • AT-AT BLUEPRINT (RPF).ai.zip
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Nice work Baloo. I really have to use that feature in illustrator. I'll have to go back and read up on it and pull out my illustrator book.

Baloo, this is totally off the chart - it is Godly! Are you okay if I build my own head based off your illustrator files? Once I've finished my 3 ertl AT-ATs I'm going to attempt a servo-controller walking Revell AT-AT. I've been working it out and I think it is doable :)

@ Scratchy: Hehe ... Thank you Jay! It is true that we learn all the time with those softwares. Personally I think I master approx 60%, and that's already not so bad.
... But what kind of feature are you talking about? That of using Illustrator to draw blueprints? Calculate the dimensions of cutting templates?
For the first assumption, it seems to me that you do it already, right?
As to the second, Adobe Illustrator does not yet have of artificial intelligence enough advanced (although sharing the same initials)... So you will have to use yours hehe! :D

@ christrom: Thank you, I appreciate! Sure you can use my blueprint; it's there for that, you know.
I follow with great interest your thread about your ERTL diorama and I'd be curious (not to say tempted!) to see your endeavor on a motorized REVELL. :love

@ daverep: "... In store next"? There are so many! ... But it's not for now, one thing at a time. :)

So far, everything is in styrene 1 mm (it's the templates board I posted a little earlier). Some additional panels will be in 0.3 but we are not there yet hehe ...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back