Blade Runner Inspired Office Build: Deckard's Apartment

Quick post.
For the window, I removed the wood shutters that I had in my office, as I wanted something more futuristic that fit the aesthetic, and I also wanted them motorized and connected to Alexa so I could automate them.
In my head I was going for the feeling of the "It's too bright in here" scene where the window slowly tints from the top down.
View attachment 1655202

I found something called "zebra" blinds that I had never seen before, and ordered some on amazon. This style of roller shade produces a cool effect when opening and closing as the stripes overlap each other. And the benefit to these is that you can role them all the way up, or all the way down, but you can also just offset the stripes to let in however much light you want without opening them up all the way.

I installed these before I did the soffit, because the frame of the soffit actually hangs down an inch or 2 lower than the top of my window. It actually worked perfectly because the blinds housing is recessed up into the space behind the soffit and completely hidden.
View attachment 1655209
View attachment 1655210

They're also solar powered so I never have to charge the batteries or run a wire anywhere to plug them in.

End result (I'm still planning to paint the side walls of the window black to decrease the light coming through)

View attachment 1655214
What??? :love:(y)

Here's a little more detail on another item I wanted to feature in my build; this monitor that is seen in a couple of different places around Deckard's apartment.
It is just a small item in the background but adds so much to the 80's future noir aesthetic and mood. Dimly lit rooms and hallways with an eerie blue glow of a screen that is only displaying static. I don't know if these were intended to just be small televisions throughout the apartment, or if they were supposed to be some kind of security system. Either way, the hanging monitor has such a distinct look that I knew I wanted to include one.

1673283851133.png

1673283869750.png
1673283805625.png

Surprisingly, the prop department simply used an unmodified 70's Panasonic portable tv/radio, model TR-535. They just mounted it upside down so that the tv screen hangs down.
panasonictr535-2.jpg

I found one on ebay for a great deal and it still works perfectly.
I removed the old batteries to decrease the overall weight (this thing is heavy!) for mounting.

When building the frame for the soffit, I made sure to include joists 12" apart at the location I knew I wanted it mounted so I could mount it directly into the studs.
1673285325593.jpeg

The only thing I did to modify mine was add a blue tint to the tv screen. It's black and white so the tv static isn't blue in real life. I don't know if the blue glow was achieved with lighting, color correction in post-production, or just due to the nature of the celluloid itself, or if they intentionally tinted the screen for filming.
Either way I wanted mine to accurately mimic that eerie blue hue, so I found some self-adhesive headlight film on amazon that was the perfect color.
1673285357415.jpeg

1673285375805.jpeg

When it came time to mount it, I struggled with a solution. I didn't want to drill into the casing of the unit and risk destroying it, and I also wanted to be very secure and easily removeable if needed.
I reached out to my homie Halliwax for advice because he's a fantastic carpenter/builder/fabricator by trade and always has the most genius solutions to things like this. a quick 5 minute video call later and he already perfectly understood my needs, the measurements, how it would mount and be secure, and how the power cable should be run so that it would be hidden. The very next day he sent me pics of these amazing side brackets that he built by hand out of aluminum.
1673287642410.jpeg

I was so stoked to get these in the mail and confirm that they fit absolutely perfectly! After measuring and mounting them, the tv unit slid into the grooves and settled into place with a very satisfying *click*. I used the existing housing screws on each side, per Danny's recommendation to attach the mounting plates to the unit itself without any modification so there's no way it can move or slip out of the grooves. I could not be happier with this solution! The power cable feeds through the slot Danny milled and runs right up into the soffit behind the unit, completely out of site. It's stable, secure, and it totally fits the design and aesthetic of the unit itself. Thank you so much for helping me with this, Danny!
1673285453488.jpeg
1673285463789.jpeg

1673285434032.jpeg

1673285474336.jpeg

1673285483094.jpeg

1673285491295.jpeg

1673285498523.jpeg

1673285508135.jpeg

And the final result!
1673285514922.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice work Halliwax and great update hanging that Panasonic:cool::cool:(y)(y) If I remember correctly; Ridley wanted some video feed on the screens seen in the apt. During production, they had difficulties showing images on those (including the original V.K. machine).
They kept the feed, without the images, showing a "blue" screen only.
Question: are you going to modify the door also? Same design as the main entrance for example?

Very nice work Halliwax and great update hanging that Panasonic:cool::cool:(y)(y) If I remember correctly; Ridley wanted some video feed on the screens seen in the apt. During production, they had difficulties showing images on those (including the original V.K. machine).
They kept the feed, without the images, showing a "blue" screen only.
Question: are you going to modify the door also? Same design as the main entrance for example?
Very interesting. I actually like that they ended up only showing static. That it's either been broken or neglected. Fits well with the state of everything else.
Yes, for the entry door I'm most likely going to be getting wood slab doors and working on a routed overlay. I've tried looking for a similar styled door with no luck so I'll most likely be replicating it. The closet door will just be dark stained wood of a matching color but probably not the same detail.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I would like to share with you a project that I’ve been planning and working on for a while and feel that it’s finally in a place where I have something worthwhile to show. For the past several months I have been planning and working on completely renovating my home office to look, feel, and sound like Deckard’s apartment from the original Blade Runner. BR is my all-time favorite movie and I’ve always dreamed of just existing in that space. A glass of whiskey, dim lighting, the concrete tiles and soffits almost cave-like, electronics and computers positioned around, and that iconic whirring sound you hear throughout. Something about that art deco, film noir aesthetic feels so cozy to me so I wanted to capture that as authentically as possible in the small space that I have to work with.
Some of you may have noticed that I recently sold off my entire Star Wars collection. This was for many reasons, including a job change where I must be on camera a lot (lightsabers and SW helmets in the background aren’t always the best idea professionally speaking), in part some burnout due to all the new movies and tv shows constantly being released, and then my wife was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis so we’ve been shifting focus in our lives a bit. Mostly de-cluttering and simplifying things at home to make our environment more Zen, and focusing on our time together. My office originally looked extremely cluttered and busy, as it was filled to the brim with SW props and helmets. I loved every minute of collecting those items, and I was so excited to see them be passed on to others who would enjoy them as much as I have.

First, here’s what my office looked like before.
View attachment 1653352

I still wanted to have a nerdy office but rather than just put everything in display cases, on shelves, and on the wall, I wanted each prop and piece to have their own place to live in a more natural environment. This is a rather ambitious project for me so I have been taking my time and doing lots of planning. I finally started construction on it 2 weeks ago so I’ll update the thread as I make more progress on it.
Here are a few screencaps from the movie that show different elements that I wanted to incorporate into my build.
View attachment 1653305
View attachment 1653306
View attachment 1653307
View attachment 1653459
View attachment 1653308
View attachment 1653309
View attachment 1653316
View attachment 1653310
View attachment 1653311
View attachment 1653312
View attachment 1653313
View attachment 1653314
View attachment 1653315

Most people here probably already know this set was based on designs from the Ennis house in LA designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s been featured in many movies and tv shows such as The Rocketeer, Karate Kid III, Game of Thrones, The Thirteenth Floor, and a ton more.
View attachment 1653317
View attachment 1653353
View attachment 1653354

Here are some 3d mockups I did to get an idea of what I wanted to do, estimate supplies and building materials, and plan it out before committing to anything. I wanted to include as many different features of the set as possible without it feeling too cluttered. I knew I wanted to have a column since they’re seen all over the apartment so I included on in the back corner where I knew I would have the space. And I especially wanted to feature a piano with the various lamps, photos, and unique items laid out since I've played piano my whole life. Unfortunately I can't fit a grand piano like Deckard has so I'll need to make due with a small studio or console piano.
View attachment 1653355
View attachment 1653356
View attachment 1653357
View attachment 1653358
View attachment 1653359
View attachment 1653360
View attachment 1653361
View attachment 1653362

I even imported the model into VR so I could virtually walk around in the room to be sure it’s what I wanted before beginning construction.
Here's the 3d mockup if you want to take a look

Construction:
I’ll use this thread to dive into details of the room build as well as the many props and pieces that will be integrated into the office. I’ll likely do individual posts on certain pieces as I finish them and introduce them into the office.

To begin, I cleared everything out of my office and said goodbye to years of collecting Star Wars props. It was bittersweet to say the least but exciting to be beginning a new project.
View attachment 1653363

First thing to do was the framing. 1x3s were used and then the whole thing was skinned with birch to make the soffit and the column.
View attachment 1653318
View attachment 1653319
View attachment 1653320
View attachment 1653333
View attachment 1653334
View attachment 1653335
View attachment 1653336

I went ahead an hung the upside down 70's Panasonic TR-535 tv/radio so I could get it in position before hanging tiles. Special thanks and shout out to Halliwax for making me some amazing custom brackets to mount it to the soffit securely. Thanks brother, you're so freakin' talented.
View attachment 1653337

Next came the iconic downlighting. I chose a smart dimmer connected to my Alexa, so I can have them fade up and down with voice. The idea is that the whole office will be automated and "come alive" by voice command. The lights will eventually be covered by Ennis tiles with an L shape cut out of them as seen in the movie. I've got frosted acrylic on the way to install into the tiles that should diffuse the light nicely.
View attachment 1653331

View attachment 1653332

To go with the lighting, I installed two black glass touchpad light switches. One for the main light that I'll be replacing with a faux skylight and the dimmer for the downlights. The thought here is to create something like the panel seen in the elevator to his apartment. So I’m in the middle of designing a similar looking panel.
View attachment 1653338
View attachment 1653365

After the lighting was installed, it’s finally time to start hanging tiles! I thought long and hard about this part, and this is the step that has me the most nervous. I wanted to cover the entire office with Ennis tiles and the blank concrete squares but I can’t possibly pour hundreds of those out of real cement. Way to heavy and just not feasible. I thought about making them out of EVA foam or maybe having them milled out of MDF but decided against it because I wanted it to look and feel more authentic. Then stumbled across Kropserkel’s website where he sells vacuum-formed full sized replica Ennis tiles!
View attachment 1653344
They weren’t cheap but they looked fantastic and would be super lightweight and easy to use. For the blank tiles, I searched and searched for weeks and one day finally stumbled across these perfectly sized 16x16 rubber paver tiles at Home depot designed for outdoor patios! They have a brick pattern on one side but are flat on the back. PERFECT!
View attachment 1653346
The rough rubber texture is an almost exact match for poured cement / brick tiles! The plan is that once it’s all hung and painted, I’m going to go at the tiles with a Dremel to pit and scar up the blank tiles in random places to give it that rough look.
View attachment 1653366

First row of Ennis tiles done! Pre-measuring the entire room, marking for even spacing, and coming up with easy, reliable mounting methods was a LOT of work. Thankfully the mockups I did in 3D helped a ton for making sure everything would line up correctly.
View attachment 1653339
View attachment 1653340
View attachment 1653341

Then I added tiles all the way down the column to set my horizontal spacing.
View attachment 1653367

And here’s where I am today! The back wall is fully tiled and tomorrow I’m starting on the East wall. So far so good!
View attachment 1653342
View attachment 1653343

That's it for today! I'll be back soon with more updates! Let me know if you have any questions, ideas, or feedback!
This is an incredible prop rich environment project, and a dream space to inhabit. Inspirational efforts in realizing this one, and better than any VR experience could render. Congratulations, and kudos!

This is an incredible prop rich environment project, and a dream space to inhabit. Inspirational efforts in realizing this one, and better than any VR experience could render. Congratulations, and kudos!
Thank you so much for offering the tiles! This project would literally not be happening without your key contribution. I cannot thank you enough.

Hi everyone!
I would like to share with you a project that I’ve been planning and working on for a while and feel that it’s finally in a place where I have something worthwhile to show. For the past several months I have been planning and working on completely renovating my home office to look, feel, and sound like Deckard’s apartment from the original Blade Runner. BR is my all-time favorite movie and I’ve always dreamed of just existing in that space. A glass of whiskey, dim lighting, the concrete tiles and soffits almost cave-like, electronics and computers positioned around, and that iconic whirring sound you hear throughout. Something about that art deco, film noir aesthetic feels so cozy to me so I wanted to capture that as authentically as possible in the small space that I have to work with.
Some of you may have noticed that I recently sold off my entire Star Wars collection. This was for many reasons, including a job change where I must be on camera a lot (lightsabers and SW helmets in the background aren’t always the best idea professionally speaking), in part some burnout due to all the new movies and tv shows constantly being released, and then my wife was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis so we’ve been shifting focus in our lives a bit. Mostly de-cluttering and simplifying things at home to make our environment more Zen, and focusing on our time together. My office originally looked extremely cluttered and busy, as it was filled to the brim with SW props and helmets. I loved every minute of collecting those items, and I was so excited to see them be passed on to others who would enjoy them as much as I have.

First, here’s what my office looked like before.
View attachment 1653352

I still wanted to have a nerdy office but rather than just put everything in display cases, on shelves, and on the wall, I wanted each prop and piece to have their own place to live in a more natural environment. This is a rather ambitious project for me so I have been taking my time and doing lots of planning. I finally started construction on it 2 weeks ago so I’ll update the thread as I make more progress on it.
Here are a few screencaps from the movie that show different elements that I wanted to incorporate into my build.
View attachment 1653305
View attachment 1653306
View attachment 1653307
View attachment 1653459
View attachment 1653308
View attachment 1653309
View attachment 1653316
View attachment 1653310
View attachment 1653311
View attachment 1653312
View attachment 1653313
View attachment 1653314
View attachment 1653315

Most people here probably already know this set was based on designs from the Ennis house in LA designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s been featured in many movies and tv shows such as The Rocketeer, Karate Kid III, Game of Thrones, The Thirteenth Floor, and a ton more.
View attachment 1653317
View attachment 1653353
View attachment 1653354

Here are some 3d mockups I did to get an idea of what I wanted to do, estimate supplies and building materials, and plan it out before committing to anything. I wanted to include as many different features of the set as possible without it feeling too cluttered. I knew I wanted to have a column since they’re seen all over the apartment so I included on in the back corner where I knew I would have the space. And I especially wanted to feature a piano with the various lamps, photos, and unique items laid out since I've played piano my whole life. Unfortunately I can't fit a grand piano like Deckard has so I'll need to make due with a small studio or console piano.
View attachment 1653355
View attachment 1653356
View attachment 1653357
View attachment 1653358
View attachment 1653359
View attachment 1653360
View attachment 1653361
View attachment 1653362

I even imported the model into VR so I could virtually walk around in the room to be sure it’s what I wanted before beginning construction.
Here's the 3d mockup if you want to take a look

Construction:
I’ll use this thread to dive into details of the room build as well as the many props and pieces that will be integrated into the office. I’ll likely do individual posts on certain pieces as I finish them and introduce them into the office.

To begin, I cleared everything out of my office and said goodbye to years of collecting Star Wars props. It was bittersweet to say the least but exciting to be beginning a new project.
View attachment 1653363

First thing to do was the framing. 1x3s were used and then the whole thing was skinned with birch to make the soffit and the column.
View attachment 1653318
View attachment 1653319
View attachment 1653320
View attachment 1653333
View attachment 1653334
View attachment 1653335
View attachment 1653336

I went ahead an hung the upside down 70's Panasonic TR-535 tv/radio so I could get it in position before hanging tiles. Special thanks and shout out to Halliwax for making me some amazing custom brackets to mount it to the soffit securely. Thanks brother, you're so freakin' talented.
View attachment 1653337

Next came the iconic downlighting. I chose a smart dimmer connected to my Alexa, so I can have them fade up and down with voice. The idea is that the whole office will be automated and "come alive" by voice command. The lights will eventually be covered by Ennis tiles with an L shape cut out of them as seen in the movie. I've got frosted acrylic on the way to install into the tiles that should diffuse the light nicely.
View attachment 1653331

View attachment 1653332

To go with the lighting, I installed two black glass touchpad light switches. One for the main light that I'll be replacing with a faux skylight and the dimmer for the downlights. The thought here is to create something like the panel seen in the elevator to his apartment. So I’m in the middle of designing a similar looking panel.
View attachment 1653338
View attachment 1653365

After the lighting was installed, it’s finally time to start hanging tiles! I thought long and hard about this part, and this is the step that has me the most nervous. I wanted to cover the entire office with Ennis tiles and the blank concrete squares but I can’t possibly pour hundreds of those out of real cement. Way to heavy and just not feasible. I thought about making them out of EVA foam or maybe having them milled out of MDF but decided against it because I wanted it to look and feel more authentic. Then stumbled across Kropserkel’s website where he sells vacuum-formed full sized replica Ennis tiles!
View attachment 1653344
They weren’t cheap but they looked fantastic and would be super lightweight and easy to use. For the blank tiles, I searched and searched for weeks and one day finally stumbled across these perfectly sized 16x16 rubber paver tiles at Home depot designed for outdoor patios! They have a brick pattern on one side but are flat on the back. PERFECT!
View attachment 1653346
The rough rubber texture is an almost exact match for poured cement / brick tiles! The plan is that once it’s all hung and painted, I’m going to go at the tiles with a Dremel to pit and scar up the blank tiles in random places to give it that rough look.
View attachment 1653366

First row of Ennis tiles done! Pre-measuring the entire room, marking for even spacing, and coming up with easy, reliable mounting methods was a LOT of work. Thankfully the mockups I did in 3D helped a ton for making sure everything would line up correctly.
View attachment 1653339
View attachment 1653340
View attachment 1653341

Then I added tiles all the way down the column to set my horizontal spacing.
View attachment 1653367

And here’s where I am today! The back wall is fully tiled and tomorrow I’m starting on the East wall. So far so good!
View attachment 1653342
View attachment 1653343

That's it for today! I'll be back soon with more updates! Let me know if you have any questions, ideas, or feedback!
This is an incredible prop rich environment project, and a dream space to inhabit. Inspirational efforts in realizing this one, and better than any VR experience could render. Congratulations, and kudos for sharing this astonishingly great build!

thanks guys! Its been a honor being able to get involved in this. what i love is, Trent and i are 1800 miles away, and with todays technology we can get something this precise done!

Trent has had this project in the works a long time, Ive heard and seen his models awhile ago, to see this take shape in the real world is incredibly wicked and so exciting!!

if there was "the rpf project of the year" this would take first place

just wait and see what else he's got up his sleeves ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back