Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming

Trooper_trent,
Should I make a **SPOILERS** announcement? :lol

I believe the stunt pistol is shown when Leon knocks it out of Deckard's hand just before Leon gets shot. And towards the end of the film when Batty reaches through the wall and grabs the gun from Deckard it's the stunt. I think you can see the mold line along the top as Deckard is edging forward and the light flashes just before Batty crashes through the wall to take the gun. And of course when Deckard is climbing the armoire at the end and drops it to the floor, it's the stunt when it falls. But the close-up shot showing it on the floor with the water splashing on it is, I believe, the hero. Cut to close-up on Deckard's face as he realizes he can't go back for it and Batty is looking for him. I figure this shot is one of the reasons it had so much rust when seen at WorldCon. One of my favorite shots of the hero gun are in Deckard's apartment at the very end when he's trying to determine if Rachel is still alive and slowly reaches down to lift the sheets. It's the one place we clearly see the slotted screw. Which is why I prefer the slotted screw to the weaver knob. And I believe it's the hero in his holster when he and Rachel get back to his apartment and he cleans up after having being beaten up by Leon. Problem is we really only see the handle as its in the holster. But later in the scene we see the hero on the piano.

As to your question about bluing the bolt handle, to me it's what makes this particular prop so interesting. After all these years, we've finally seen the real deal thanks to Karl and we still have questions. And I'm excited to see how people interpret their own model to suit their tastes. From 'as first issued' to 'as seen at WorldCon' to 'as close to seen on screen as possible' and then there's folks making custom grips or Dave G and Rick Ross with their 'in universe' interpretations. It keeps me coming back to all the threads. And damn it, keeps me buying new versions of this gun!

I'd be curious to hear others chime in about where the hero gun appears.

Ted.

Anyone know which shots in the film are of the hero gun? I watched the HD theatrical release with my wife tonight and while trying to get some good glimpses of the blaster, now that I'm more familiar with it, it looked to me that the bolt was blued as well, not polished. At least it looked to be the same color as the Steyr receiver.

I'm sure you've seen these before but if not, they are pictures of the blaster when it was delivered to the set and they should help with seeing how the firearm was finished.

PKD01.jpg

PKD02.jpg

These builds are terrific fella's - many thanks for sharing.

Highest regards
MARK

Ted you're very close to right.

The Hero is seen along the wall, note the white wires.

ONLY at the last second just before Batty punches though the wall do we see the stunt and yes you can see the seam AND That the grip is broken near the top screw.

And of course you see the stunt when Leon bats it out of Deckard's hand..(perhaps he should have been called Batty??)

I bet this where the stunt got its broken grip.

The stunt should have been used when he drops the gun climbing that shelf unit BUT the shot of the gun bouncing off the floor IS the hero: A) the green and red LEDs are very visible, B) as is the cocking lever which swings out in one bounce. C) Also the white wires can been seen. Details missing on the stunt.

Funny as the hero also has a broken grip so I bet this is where it got it. Also the left side cover is also broken and cracked...

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

Last edited:
Wow, thanks guys! As always, Mr. Coyle, very insightful. Thanks Mark for those pics. I was going for a bit of a WorldCon version with the scuffed paint on the butt plate and the paint rubbed off the front and back of the grip frame near the bottom, weaver knob etc. But I might redo it, not sure..
Anyway thanks again.

I started to build the blaster today. Unfortunately I need a bit help with the triggers. I have 3 small springs, two thin ones and a small stronger one, but I can`t see , where they go. especially where on the rear trigger.....anyone made a picture, while building the blaster ?

Last edited:
the front trigger has one spring. it's the thinner of the two that are shaped that way. if you place it in the groove exactly at the angle it's shown in image 5, with the shorter end on the left, it will be in the right place. all it should do is give some resistance if you swing the arm down to the right.

For the rear trigger, you need two springs. the thicker one drops straight down into the slot as shown and put the pin through it to hold it there. the top arm of the spring should stick out. this will push against the frame, causing the trigger to return.

The other spring is the trickiest. This is the funky shaped one. the longer arm goes on the left and hooks around the tab sticking out of the "hand" (part 38). then, when you place the hand and spring on the rear trigger and secure with the pin, the other arm of the spring pushes against the inside of the "Y" part of the rear trigger. The end result is that the spring holds the hand forward (to the left).

Trooper_trent,

I was just about to write and ask the same question, so thank you.

The other part I'm having trouble with, still on the rear or main trigger, is the location of part 38 in relation to the slot in the bulldog frame. Should the arm (part 38) be place underneath part 35 (ejector rod block)? Part 35 was added to the bulldog in step 2.

I'm hoping that the triggers and the cylinder latch are the hardest parts of the build. Looks that way from here.

Ted.
Prefect42.

There's a vertical slot in the bulldog frame to the left of where you put part 35. This is where the hook of the hand goes. when you put the rear trigger in place, pull back a little on the hand so it clears that wall and rests in that slot.
When completed properly, the hand's hook will protrude slightly through that slot and will move up and down when you pull and release the trigger. This is what spins the cylinder and cycles the next round.
Look at image 7. From that point of view, the hand is going straight up and is in front of part 35. the hook slightly sticks out through that slot.

Exactly, and further, the hand's spring really must be positioned correctly. If the hand is not trying to push through the slot quite firmly then you've done it wrong. :) It is easy to get the spring position slightly off, but it is important so that the hand engages with the ejector ratchet correctly.

Awesome. Can't wait to see pics. Mine was a little funky in the trigger area at first. Something in the cylinder was rubbing or catching. It wouldn't cycle every time and would sometimes push the drum out. I messed with it for hours and never figured out the issue, then all of a sudden, it started working perfectly.
The only thing I can think of is that I tightened the screw on step 18 so that the swing arm was less wobbly. So...FYI.

Finally got everything working last night. This kit ROCKS! With the exception of one missing screw for the grips and the brilliant washer fix to help with the bolt handle wiggle, everything is installed. I need to go back and do a bit more weathering but it's close. Will post pictures tonight when the battery is recharged.

Ted.

Hey Clutch,

I have rechargeable batteries for my camera. The blaster uses the battery that came with the kit. Sorry for the confusion.

Everything is working on it now. Just need to weather it a bit more. I don't want the WorldCon look but want to age it just a tad more. Including the silver "scratches on the black strap towards the butt plate.

Here is my new toy. I used Casey Aluminum Black heavily diluted. Dipped it about 4 times. Polished the heck out of the metal both before bluing and afterwards. Then I used Renaissance wax to seal it. I used Casey Steel for the Dave G barrel but actually kind of like the slightly different color. I think it adds interest to the piece.

Ted.

Attachments

• BR T RIght.jpg
    BR T RIght.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 275
  • BR T Left.jpg
    BR T Left.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 235
  • BR DG Barrel.jpg
    BR DG Barrel.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 244
  • BR Barrel Left.jpg
    BR Barrel Left.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 251
thanks for the tips so far! I guess my main trouble was the thicker spring, I believe the other ones are correct. I will have to disassamble the whole blaster again now in the next days and try again.

Ted,

Excellent job! The contrast between the steel barrel and the receiver looks great. Need to finish mine. I got so tired of making barrels I just had to put the Blaster away for awhile and work on something else.

Okay, I tried now for about two hours to get this to work and I have lost all my hope..... Please forgive me the massive load of pictures I am using in this post, but I hope to find some help from you guys and probably this post and the replies will be of some help for others.

I really looked through the manual many many times and read your postings very carefully:

the front trigger with spring added looks like this here:

In my opinion there is something wrong with my rear trigger.

I hope I have no problem with the the funky shaped one

the thicker one drops straight down into the slot as shown here

when assembled and I move the rear trigger, all parts move, but the rear trigger does not return in its starting position. It looks like this:

when I read through your postings, the thicker spring has to do the job to bring the trigger back to the starting point , right ?
probably it could work, when I spread the thick spring a bit, but I wanted to hear your opinions before I start anything out of despair

Stefan, I'm a long way from my blaster right now, but from memory, I think you may have the spring facing in the wrong direction? Try changing its orientation.

Finally got everything working last night. This kit ROCKS! With the exception of one missing screw for the grips and the brilliant washer fix to help with the bolt handle wiggle, everything is installed. I need to go back and do a bit more weathering but it's close. Will post pictures tonight when the battery is recharged.

Ted.

Ted, Fantastic job on your blaster! Your bluing looks awesome! Man, I'm jealous of that steel barrel.
By the way, you're not missing a screw for the grip. If anything, you're missing the dome head screw for the cylinder cover on the lever side. I noticed that you have the grip screw there instead of the dome head screw that's supposed to be there.

Just FYI.

Last edited:
Okay, I tried now for about two hours to get this to work and I have lost all my hope..... Please forgive me the massive load of pictures I am using in this post, but I hope to find some help from you guys and probably this post and the replies will be of some help for others.

I really looked through the manual many many times and read your postings very carefully:

the front trigger with spring added looks like this here:

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3096web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3087web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3089web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3088web.jpg[/URL]

In my opinion there is something wrong with my rear trigger.

I hope I have no problem with the the funky shaped one

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3090web.jpg[/URL]

the thicker one drops straight down into the slot as shown here

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3091web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3092web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3093web.jpg[/URL]

when assembled and I move the rear trigger, all parts move, but the rear trigger does not return in its starting position. It looks like this:

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3094web.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/StefanJones_album/DSCF3095web.jpg[/URL]

when I read through your postings, the thicker spring has to do the job to bring the trigger back to the starting point , right ?
probably it could work, when I spread the thick spring a bit, but I wanted to hear your opinions before I start anything out of despair

for your front trigger, the spring goes in before the cylinder stop (part 58) so in the last picture it should be on top of part 58. I don't know for sure that it really matters, but that's what the instructions say. really examine image 6. that is the best shot on how the whole thing should look. I took a quick video of the mechanism to hopefully help you see how it fits together and what all the parts do. I'll post it here when it's done uploading.

EDIT: Here you go. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back