Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming

Forgot to ask in that last post but would the kits get sent back to Japan (so a refund would be a possibility), or would they just be scrapped?

Forgot to ask in that last post but would the kits get sent back to Japan (so a refund would be a possibility), or would they just be scrapped?

Since these are all coming from the same source (and presumably all going through X-ray machines in similar packaging), I find it really contradictory of customs that they are holding up certain items, especially with all the kits that have been cleared and got in to the UK. If there's a standard rule regarding their definitions of RIFs, surely they either all get in or none get in?

Hopefully this is just a minor hold up and will be sorted soon. When did your kit land in the UK?

It actually made it to the UK the same day the first of these landed in the States or at least when some of the members here received theirs, on the 17th May.

With regards to your last post I really don't know, have never come by this before, but I cannot fathom why some (pretty much all that I am aware of coming to the UK) would get through and not mine, going on the entry date I would have thought it was one of if not first into the UK?

It actually made it to the UK the same day the first of these landed in the States or at least when some of the members here received theirs, on the 17th May.

With regards to your last post I really don't know, have never come by this before, but I cannot fathom why some (pretty much all that I am aware of coming to the UK) would get through and not mine, going on the entry date I would have thought it was one of if not first into the UK?

Since yours should have arrived with the others, I'd like to think that it is some sort of minor hold up (unless your conversation with HMC was different) and you'll be enjoying your kit next week some time.
I think it's important that we in the UK, keep an eye on situations like this and try to seek some sort of clarifcation as to what is and isn't allowed in to the country. If HM Customs can't decide, then it really makes ordering stuff from overseas very risky.

Hope you get some good news in the next few days.

I already asked about the bolt. You have to file some of the Steyr receiver to get the lever to clear it. No way I'd force these soft metals. I really like the look of this one!!

200811%2F16%2F42%2Fa0077842_9573327.jpg

I hadn't been paying too much attention to the discussion over the color of the grips provided with the kit until I had them side by side with the pre-assembled Pro I bought a couple of years back. Wow! did they ever miss the mark with the color for the kit! On the left is a grip from my Pro, on the right, from the kit.

Given all the extra effort Tomenosuke put into revising some of the details on this otherwise excellent kit, I'm surprised this got by them.

Got the second prototype steel barrel drilled and tapped and assembled the kit with it in place. It fit like, well, like it was intended to! Actually the barrel sleeves into the frame precisely enough that once it's secured to the receiver and the mag housing with the screw no glueing is required. Rock solid, no wobble. So this means by undoing the three screws you can remove the barrel and swap it out for future variations, like, say, a slightly longer barrel threaded for a silencer. Oops! did I say that out loud!

Barrel is killer! Deposit sent. About the grips, if you look at the originals from the side, they do look more yellow than orange. Is anyone planning on stripping the set screws and other various bolts to match Worldcon?

Carl it works fine, trust me! You will need to paint the side covers, outer grip frame and laser sight, and the bottom of the butt plate. All the other cast parts can be blued. Easy and satisfying. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes I picked some up and decided to try it. Indeed it does work. I'm trying for a darker blue if I can. So I'm applying many layers. Buffing each layer as I go. Thanks Nwerke :)

Carl

I already asked about the bolt. You have to file some of the Steyr receiver to get the lever to clear it. No way I'd force these soft metals.

On mine, the amount of force required is minimal. Nowhere near enough to damage or bend any of the metal parts. It's really more of an exaggerated "click" if that makes any sense.

Can anyone recommend a good paint for the side plates? Can't decide whether they need to be gloss or matt finish, it's difficult to see from the pictures.

Can anyone recommend a good paint for the side plates? Can't decide whether they need to be gloss or matt finish, it's difficult to see from the pictures.

I've gone with gloss black to match the glossy plastic parts. I use the Halfords gloss sprays as you get a really nice smooth finish (just make sure you give it at least 24 hours before handling).
I've found model enamels sprays seem to have too much pressure and so the paint can build up, leaving you with runs. I've had few problems with the Halfords stuff- works out you get more for your money as well.

I've gone with gloss black to match the glossy plastic parts. I use the Halfords gloss sprays as you get a really nice smooth finish (just make sure you give it at least 24 hours before handling).
I've found model enamels sprays seem to have too much pressure and so the paint can build up, leaving you with runs. I've had few problems with the Halfords stuff- works out you get more for your money as well.

Sounds good to me, thanks! Did you use a Halfords primer too?

Sounds good to me, thanks! Did you use a Halfords primer too?

I would use a primer. Again big cans of the Halfords stuff lasts for ages. Just make sure you get the normal primer not the one for plastic.
If you give the primer a rub with some fine wet and dry it gives a really nice smooth base for the paint. Problem with painting directly on to the bare metal, it can chip off with the slightest knock. Primer base should prevent this.

I hadn't been paying too much attention to the discussion over the color of the grips provided with the kit until I had them side by side with the pre-assembled Pro I bought a couple of years back. Wow! did they ever miss the mark with the color for the kit! On the left is a grip from my Pro, on the right, from the kit.

Given all the extra effort Tomenosuke put into revising some of the details on this otherwise excellent kit, I'm surprised this got by them.

[url]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s480/GoldbergArts/Tomenosuke%20Blaster%20Build/CRW_5162_zpsa023e03d.jpg[/URL]

I actually thought the original Pro's grips were too dark. If the kit's grips are the same as the Tomenosuke's WorldCon version, the grips will be lighter but more accurate IMO.

Here's Karl's Pro (middle) and WorldCon (bottom):
8456882025_b98b664b6c_b.jpg

Another pic of the WorldCon version:
2012121012180871e.jpg

And the actual hero prop:
DSC05720.jpg

I'm curious to know if the kit and the WorldCon versions do, in fact, have the same grips. If so, they should look darker once on the frame.

BTW, excellent job on the barrel!

Attachments

• 8456882025_b98b664b6c_c.jpg
    8456882025_b98b664b6c_c.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
The bulldog grip frame and outer grip frame should be flat black. The edge of the outer frame should be gloss or semi-gloss black.

I would go semi gloss on the side plates. That way they could be dulled or polished as you see fit.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back