Black series XWing Pilot helmet up for pre-order on Amazon

One thing I'd caution on is not using the "stock" liner that screws in... while it may not be accurate to the vac-buckets out there, its pretty much what keeps the helmet hemispheres and mohawk strip in place when it's back together
I don't think I'm understanding right... You're saying don't use the liner, but also that it's the only thing holding the bucket together? I feel like where the halves overlap is a good bonding surface for Plastic Welder, reinforced by the (cut down flush) screw posts and retaining clips from the mohawk strip through those holes. I have three of these, only one to build up as the "Rebel" pattern. The other two are going to be Imperial, so I have two mohawks to be a mad scientist with and one where I need to be careful. *lol* For the Rebel one, I think any other flexing will be minimized by leaving the battery pack intact. Even if cut down to the level of the tab, it'll provide a nice reinforcing point at center back.
One thing I am wondering, though... is how compatible the Galaxy's Edge X-Wing helmet interior is (as far as mounting points go) with the HBS helmet. If the screw-holes align properly, maybe one of those interiors can be put in an HBS (or replicated in some way), as they have articulated visors in those helmets as well as *some* electronics.
Isn't the G.E. one ANOVOS? If so, pretty sure the mounting points won't line up. I'm working on more stupidly over-engineered mechanisms for my visors anyway, so I'm not too fussed about being able to use those interiors.

I don't think I'm understanding right... You're saying don't use the liner, but also that it's the only thing holding the bucket together? I feel like where the halves overlap is a good bonding surface for Plastic Welder, reinforced by the (cut down flush) screw posts and retaining clips from the mohawk strip through those holes. I have three of these, only one to build up as the "Rebel" pattern. The other two are going to be Imperial, so I have two mohawks to be a mad scientist with and one where I need to be careful. *lol* For the Rebel one, I think any other flexing will be minimized by leaving the battery pack intact. Even if cut down to the level of the tab, it'll provide a nice reinforcing point at center back.

Isn't the G.E. one ANOVOS? If so, pretty sure the mounting points won't line up. I'm working on more stupidly over-engineered mechanisms for my visors anyway, so I'm not too fussed about being able to use those interiors.
Oh - no, man... I wasn't saying to not use the liner at all. It is what's holding the bucket together... I didn't mean to sound confusing at all - I was cautioning against not using the liner. As for the G.E. helmet... I'm not sure if it's Anovos or not, tbh (I haven't seen one in person yet).

Also - using plastic welder on the overlap in the mohawk is not a bad idea at all! ;) Once the strip is back on, that should be alright for holding it together solidly.

Also - using plastic welder on the overlap in the mohawk is not a bad idea at all! ;) Once the strip is back on, that should be alright for holding it together solidly.
If you don't have any spare buckets to experiment on with that, I'll definitely be showing how it worked with my build. Helmet overlap, mohawk strip, battery pack, mohawk greeble, battery cover, and SFX button. All to be epoxied in place. I'll probably also reinforce those from the inside with plumbing epoxy putty.

Oh! Just remembered the pic I forgot to take last night. Back in a minute...

ETA: Never mind. I forgot how much of the helmet sides I need to cut away to accommodate the side tubes, but the Stormtrooper faceplate looks like a good fit, size and proportion wise.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
I'm at it again with another HBS repaint/conversion... Only this time I'm making a run at one of the appearances from Squadrons - the Bayora Bronze appearance. Like with the Gold Leader helmet, I've shot some videos of my progress through this adventure via my phone (hope the quality isn't too terrible, haha) - and this one is an "adventure", as I'm using an electroplating technique called "brush plating" for this one, so the color you're seeing on all of the external parts is a layer of actual copper metal. I got the idea for taking this route from a YouTube channel called "Infosmercial", where he tried this technique on a 3D printed Phasma helmet... and it seemed to work out pretty well. This project so far hasn't been without it's stumbling blocks and such, but it's rolling ahead fairly well :) I've got a picture below of where the helmet is at (more or less) at the moment, and another Google Drive with videos and more pics - I'll be updating it/uploading more videos as I continue on! Check it out, and let me know what you think!!

Cheers everyone!

Bayora Bronze (Copper Electro-brush plating) HBS Helmet

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_200421.jpg
    IMG_20210504_200421.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 113
I'd love for them to release these (and the Poe helmet) in unpainted white (or light gray) plastic. Just blank helmets that we can do ourselves for say, $80 instead of $100.
Good point. I painted several HGU-33 flight helmets for USAF and USN pilots back when they were still being used, and I'd love to get to work on one of these for old time's sake...
I saw one of the Wedge helmets for sale at around 90 bucks over the weekend. I even got to see it out of the box and I awfully tempted, but in the end, it would just sit in a closet with the box collecting dust as I have nowhere to display it. Still, I've wanted one of these ever since I was a little kid seeing Ep4 on it's original run in theaters...

Last edited:
Can someone tell me the dimensions of one of these? I especially need to know the highest point on one and the distance between the front and the back.
I have some space atop a bookcase where one might fit but I won't waste the money if there's no place to put it where I can be seen...

If it's sitting flat on its base trim, and not on a stand... If your space is 13" high and 12" deep (and 9½" wide) you'll have enough room for it to fit without scraping.

I bought one from the local gamestop with my military discount, about 90 bucks. It looks good sitting atop my book case next to my BSG top gun mug...
Naturally, I wore it in front of the mirror for a short while as it's something I've wanted ever since I was kid.
Of course, my wife doesn't understand, though.

Last edited:
Got a Galaxy's Edge Luke helmet that I added my own weathering to. I also have a Black Series Wedge, and there are differences in the base helmets. They obviously share a common origin in the production process, but there was a divergence at some point, resulting in detail differences. I'll have to take and post comparison pics at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_153511.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153511.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20211001_153631.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153631.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20211001_153622.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153622.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20211001_153612.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153612.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20211001_153559.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153559.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20211001_153550.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153550.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20211001_153541.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153541.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20211001_153529.jpg
    IMG_20211001_153529.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
Hey everyone!
I'm at it again with another HBS repaint/conversion... Only this time I'm making a run at one of the appearances from Squadrons - the Bayora Bronze appearance. Like with the Gold Leader helmet, I've shot some videos of my progress through this adventure via my phone (hope the quality isn't too terrible, haha) - and this one is an "adventure", as I'm using an electroplating technique called "brush plating" for this one, so the color you're seeing on all of the external parts is a layer of actual copper metal. I got the idea for taking this route from a YouTube channel called "Infosmercial", where he tried this technique on a 3D printed Phasma helmet... and it seemed to work out pretty well. This project so far hasn't been without it's stumbling blocks and such, but it's rolling ahead fairly well :) I've got a picture below of where the helmet is at (more or less) at the moment, and another Google Drive with videos and more pics - I'll be updating it/uploading more videos as I continue on! Check it out, and let me know what you think!!

Cheers everyone!

Bayora Bronze (Copper Electro-brush plating) HBS Helmet
I’ve been playing with electroplating plastic with mixed results. Can I ask what conductive paint you used on this? Looks great!

I’ve been playing with electroplating plastic with mixed results. Can I ask what conductive paint you used on this? Looks great!
Hey man! The conductive paint I used as a primer is from MG Chemicals, and it's the "841AR-340G 841AR Super Shield Nickel Conductive Paint". It works really well, but you've got to wet-sand between layers to make sure you get it as smooth as possible. I put the Amazon link below for you, man!

MG Chemicals - 841AR-340G 841AR Super Shield Nickel Conductive Paint, 12 oz Aerosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3AWGN...abc_Q24Z2B1RVHGYY23C3WVY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Alright - so, it's been a while since I've updated everyone on the Bayora Bronze helmet... Here it is! One thing to note on this: the Rebel starbirds and the commlink graphics (the "onion slices") are done with a darkening fluid to patina the copper to create the image, the only paint on this helmet are the stripes on the sides of the mohawk (and the chincup). The earpads are custom made by me, as well!

Attachments

• IMG_20210923_211421.jpg
    IMG_20210923_211421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20210925_232430.jpg
    IMG_20210925_232430.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210925_232438.jpg
    IMG_20210925_232438.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 16357725870363917559998414358747.jpg
    16357725870363917559998414358747.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 16357726105196992353979115119104.jpg
    16357726105196992353979115119104.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 16357726230657301524337319547921.jpg
    16357726230657301524337319547921.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
Man that looks cool! Thanks for the info on the paint. I’m familiar with this one but have hesitated to try it. Definitely going to order some now. Thanks again!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back