Bilbo's writing desk build 1:1 from LOTR

My wife would leave me for your Lord of The Rings room. :confused:

Well done

Question: I spotted the Baggins journal. Do you have pics of that, or was it a build you did. I really want to make one for my wife that is screen accurate like yours appears to be.
The journal or Redbook of Westmarch as it is call was purchased from Indy Magnoli and can be found on his website
Red Book by Magnoli Props

Outstanding carpentry! Thank you for sharing your progress and the final work - it really makes the room! I have to ask, given your skill, any thought to tackling Bilbo's chair?
Thank you! I would love to try and make the chair, that was also part of the reason I bought the one from craigslist as I thought it would help with measurement and angles.
What a beautiful piece of furniture. The craftsmanship is really something else here. I mean, dovetail joints are really hard to do and these are absolutely flawless on your desk.
The dovetails were done with a router bit and not by hand. They're just a simple locking joint that butt up to each other.

Have you ever made Sam's salt box? And would you ever consider a commission for one?

I have, probably make over 30 of them over the years. They are done in solid white oak, hand carved and have a custom made brass latch. I do plan on doing another run of them sometime, but no private commissions at this time.

Shire salt box.jpg

Last edited:
Incredible work, and I can't help noticing you're a bit of a Tolkien fan eh? Got to ask even though it's not lotr, Have you made or have you thought of making Dumbledores owl lectern at all? Or any of his office furniture?

Added another piece to the desk. The pipe stand seen on the upper right.
FOTR4.png

Found a decent picture of the prop to make some templates from.
accessories.png

Made an acrylic stamp by etching in the leaf veins with a dremel
2022-07-24 07.52.08.jpg

Additional tooling and dyeing.
2022-07-24 07.51.19.jpg

Made the wood parts and some pipes to go in it.

2022-07-20 11.36.12.jpg

Finished comparison
2022-07-22 12.52.16.jpg

and on the desk
2022-07-23 12.00.29.jpg
2022-07-23 12.00.41.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back