Big Trouble in Little China

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by saintg, Jan 27, 2006.

1. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

Ok, not sure if this is the right area for this. But, here goes. Does anyone know what truck/cab was used in this movie as Jack Burton's ride? Also any pictures available, not just screen grabs?
    George :D

2. pnerves

pnerves New Member

The next time some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against some bar-room wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if you've paid your dues... You just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that. Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail.

You probably have this one, but I love the movie too much not to chime in all clever clever...

[​IMG]

jake88 likes this.
  3. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

Hi Pnerves. Thanks for the photo. I found out the Truck and already have the kit on the way. I'll be doing the decals up soon.
    George :D

4. pnerves

pnerves New Member

Don't forget the chrome chicks and Haulin' * on the front grill.

Pork Chop Express.

5. DangeRuss66

DangeRuss66 New Member

6. Forbidden Zone

Forbidden Zone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

George...what kit is it and where did you find it?

Thanks,
    Mike

7. division 6

division 6 Master Member

AAAHHHH, Pacific Street. :D
    Right by the Transamerica Pyramid building.
    It is a one way street going up hill.

Sorta off topic but there used to be (may still be) a Wing Kong Import company in Monterey across from the Aquarium.

That supposedly never seen before ending with Jack pushing the thugs off the pier into the water was actually shown at the theater I went to, all 7 times.

DangeRuss66, I found that site the other day.
    Very COOL...

D6

8. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

One of my five favorite John Carpenter movies. Along with "The Thing", "Halloween", "Prince of Darkness" (just somethin' about it, you know?) and "Escape From New York".

"You were not brought here to 'get it', Mr. Burton."

9. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Got to love that movie.

10. Uncle Jake

Uncle Jake New Member

Great movie!

11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I know this is an old thread but, since this question wasn't answered, for anyone who might be interested the truck is a Freightliner FLC 120.

12. Johnny Fever

Johnny Fever Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Zombie_61. Now to find a suitable 1/25 kit to modify.

-John

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Alucardez

Alucardez New Member

Has anyone found a kit for this yet?

14. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

actually Zombie it is NOT an FLC 120

it's a Freightliner Conventional (and mine arrived today! yay!)
    There's also a Freightliner Aerodyne that will work, but you're going to have to alter the roof of the sleeper

it's been issued 3 times
    2 times by Italieri and once by Revell (same kit though)

it's out of print so they're not easy to come by
    expect to spend $80 -$100 +

hope that helps

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

If you know more about trucks than I do (which is likely) you're probably right. I got my information from the Internet Movie Car Data Base website where the truck is listed as a 1986 Freightliner FLC-120. Allegedly, the original truck is now used by the Eastern Maine Community College as a CDL training truck.

16. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

there are errors in the IMCDB

but I think the confusion here rises when you look at the kits

part of that was also my misreading
    you typed FLC 120... and I knew there was an FLD 120 kit

and when you look at the kits, the one Italieri put out their kit marketed as the FLD 120 is a newer model truck, and completely wrong for the Porkchop Express
    [​IMG]

the correct kit is marketed and packaged as the Freightliner Conventional
    [​IMG]

and this is the Aerodyne kit which like I said, just needs the roof of the cabin modified to be correct

[​IMG]

hope that helps

17. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

18. CHROMIUMDIOXIDE

CHROMIUMDIOXIDE Active Member

19. poholio

poholio Active Member

Shut up, Mr. Burton!

That is frickin' awesome! Great work!

20. moffeaton

My truck...

MY TRUCK!!

21. CHROMIUMDIOXIDE

CHROMIUMDIOXIDE Active Member

Thanks guys. In case you're wondering - Yes, it IS an Italeri Freightliner FLC kit BUT if you want an accurate PorkChop Express, you'll need a few things: 1. The sleeper that comes with FLC is way too low and thin. Had to buy two sleepers, cut and marry them to get the height.

2. Get the Italeri truck accessories kit for curved chrome stacks and other monor parts. you'll have to cut and combine. A lot.

3. For the "Haulin' *" logos get "truck girl" earrings (2 sets) on ebay. really cheap.

Any other detail questions - or if you'd like a high rez .pdf of the decals I made, PM me and I'll gladly share it with you.:darnkidsIndeeeeeeeed.

22. moffeaton

I've gone off the deep end and found the original truck part "accessories", redrew them, and am getting photoetch of them (and the badging, etc to make it more accurate)

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 4.15.40 PM.png

23. 19narvik40

19narvik40 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I was hoping I could contact you for some help doing my own Pork Chop Express. I would very much like to know how to do the decals. Many thanks in advance.

Don

24. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

Yeah I would like to do one of these models , look's awesome why don't these threads be finished

25. moffeaton

Work and life be getting in the way. Progress is being made... just slowly. You're think models like this pay bills, but somehow they don't ;)

Jonnieboy and trooper like this.
  26. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

the guys truck further up looks great id be happy with that , i get the earings for the logos good idea , but havent a clue how he did the decals or haulin * logo in metal on front , iff you are going to get that grill made could you let me know how much and link the seller id like to purchase all the accessories to make this model , i love thw film one of my fave's and the truck is awesome , thanks

27. 19narvik40

Jonnieboy,

I'm waiting on mail from the chromiumdioxide. He said he'd send me the decals and has no issue with me sharing them. As for the grill, I have found only one photo-etch fret with "Haulin' *" on it and it's from a firm in the UK; http://www.kitformservices.com/photoetch.html the set is PE- 85. This a photo of the set;
    pe85.JPG

There was also a store in Austria that sells the set as well;
    http://www.modelmakershop.com/model...-24-25.html&XTCsid=kgebb717dkc2l406m8e74l1fs0

I'll leteveryone know as soon as the decals arrive.

Urbanmx and Jonnieboy like this.
  28. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

That's brilliant as well I've been looking at the trucks and I'm not sure iff it's an flc one guy mentioned it's a convensional and iff you look at this picture it's the exact truck cabin size the lot but with the dome took off the step is the same the tanks are the same , but on checking the models the chasses seems a little longer but this is the truck take a look
    http://onlytruecars.com/photo/im/freightliner-conventional/01/default.htm. So I'm struggling which model to use its like the original is a miss mash off the two

29. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

Ive also noticed something else , the guy's model above IS pretty spot on there are other pictures of the guy who supposedly owns this truck now and i dont think its the same truck , i think the guys is a replica , il explain why the film truck has bent pipes like in the model above , it also has silver tanks like the model above and decals on the back of the truck are missing bits like in the model above the only thing the model above seems tombe missing is the rear lights ..

the guy who supposedly owns the truck now which i think is a replica has straight pipes which are thicker and it also has blue tanks and a retangle lower front chrome bumper , i dont think this is the same truck , or iff it is its been altered or im genuinily confused as to what has gone on

30. 19narvik40

Jonnieboy,

I cannot guarantee the truck in the photos is the real truck from the movie. I've been told there is a small plaque on the truck to say that it is. I'll ask if a photo can be taken of it. As for the changes you have listed, consider these three points.

1 - The studio added several things to the truck to make it look "right" for filming and these items were removed/changed back after filming had finished.

2 - My brother is a long haul trucker and he has had to make several repairs and replacements to his rig which is considerably younger than the movie truck.

3 - The current owner of the rig has probably made changes over the years to suit himself. You really can't expect him to leave the truck in the movie configuration just because it was in a movie can you?

I personally believe that the truck was a one off to begin with as I have found very few images or references to the size of the the sleeper and fuel tanks that are on the truck. Stacks get damaged or worn out and replaced. I am going to use mostly the images from the movie and the ones of the truck today will be used to help scale the parts.

Jonnieboy likes this.
  31. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

yeah i understand what your saying but the tanks and step are blue maybe he replaced them from chrome , also there are lights on the silver tank and step in the film , maybe they was removed also , lol i ordered 8" sloped stacks like on the guys truck as it is now so thats wrong , today i went through the film and took alot of stills of the truck , tommorrow il upload them to a site and you could reference from there , i got the lights lit up to at the start , incase you want to add leds i would like to add leds as the truck looks great lit up , i was even thinking of getting a trailer and making a scene , probably getting carried away , it is my first model and my mind is running wild lol

aswell check the link of the freightliner convensional in brown , it is exactly the same including sleeper , it had a extre dome that you can see iff you took it off , its the same truck

32. 19narvik40

I also thought about a trailer, figured the livestock trailer until I saw how much they go for. Wouldn't you know it, the livestock trailer is one of the few that hasn't been re-released. They go for mucho dinero on evilbay.

As for the sleeper, I have asked on a few truck modeling forums and the Facebook truck forum and no one can agree what size the sleeper or tanks are, Picked up some spare sleeper parts as well as two extra fuel tanks so I could adapt them for the Pork Chop Express. The Italeri truck accessories kit has the bent ends we need for the stacks and I know of a couple of other options as well.

If you do the truck as it is later in the movie, the chrome shine is pretty muted on the fuel tanks and other shiny bits. We also need to find a larger front bumper as Jack's rides much lower to the ground.

I'll wait to see if I'm going to light this puppy up or not.

There was someone working on a seated Jack and the Chinese Wildman figures. Just with I could remember where. Lost the link when a hard drive decided to go FUBAR.

Jonnieboy likes this.
  33. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

i didnt notice the low bumper tbh , the only thing i noticed is the bumper has an extra metal panel that folds up like on hinges when he drives to avoid the bus and it smashes through the crates , il upload them pictures later today , for the stacks rather than buying the whole italri extras i found these , nice polished metal , il cut the old ones and stick these over http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-TRUCK...REIGHTLINER-/221855065481?hash=item33a797a589

and yeah the amt trailer is expensive but sod it i need to do this model , the guy who sells the stacks also sells bumper guides , but there 1/16 scale , so i figured two revel glue end needles will do the job you could even get a fibre optic cable up there and burn the end to make a lense , just an idea

did you click on the link with the brown freighliner convensional further up the page , that is 100 percent the sleeper on jacks and tanks , it must be a rare model convensional as that is the only picture i can find of another like jacks with the same sleeper also the model italri conventional aerodine is the closest model with same size size tanks and sleeper to jacks truck you would just have to alter the roof of the sleeper , its just i cant find an arodyne no where :-(

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  34. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

did you order the decals off him yet , could you get me a set , il pay of course ;-)

35. moffeaton

Now that Jerseyfest is over, I'm back on the photo etch set for the Pork Chop Express. George Takacs is going to offer the figures, and a resin sleeper/fuel tanks, back bumper, etc for this model. Working on the pattern when I can find the time!

36. moffeaton

Worked out the spacing (ignore my short tanks in the mock up below, they are getting fixed/cast). PE art is ready for the logos and badging, as well as the screens that wrap around the pipes. Working on the tread plates for PE, now. Also will etch/cut a back bumper.

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.27.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.28.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.26.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.26.34 PM.png

rbeach84 likes this.
  37. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

will he offer spares for sale , or should i just make my own , are you getting the decals to for sale ...

38. moffeaton

He's making them available so all you need to buy is the FLC kit, yeah. And we will have decals made too, yep.

39. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

40. moffeaton

41. 19narvik40

Jonnieboy,

These decals were done by a chap for his own model and were not offered for sale. I have been in contact with him and he has very graciously given me permission to share them with anyone who wants them. You are on the list, don't worry. Thing is he can't find the file he used to make the decals. He has sent me photos of a waterlogged sheet he did find and with that and the photos he had posted already I am going to try to reproduce the full sheet to make the decals with. As soon as I can I will post Images of the sheet for everyone to see.

As to price, I can't really say yet. I'm not looking to make any money as Phil hasn't asked for any but I will need to cover the cost of the decal printing and possibly help with the graphics. I will only charge the actual postage it takes to get them to you and the others. When I know more I will also post that information.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions but that is all I have for now, sorry.

Don

Jonnieboy likes this.
  42. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

No thats great and il give you a couple beers and postage for printing and posting no problem , lets hope the guy finds the file , his decals look good , i wish he did a build of the truck and where he got the parts etc , as soon as i get all mine together , il do my first build and post parts and where i got them etc , cant wait , feel like a kid as im just getting back into model building " built a few as a kid " and i should start it this month ..

43. 19narvik40

Jonnieboy,

I pulled this together using Microsoft Paint, just about the limit of my digital manipulation skills.
    Blind try.png
    The strips are not scaled to the truck nor are the names. I've got some work ahead of me.

don

Jonnieboy likes this.
  44. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

they look ok tbh , wish i had a printer , maybe when i get my truck i could scale these up at least we got the shapes , when im done bullding the truck il get to sorting these out like the back stripe on the truck now doesnt have them missing bits , i think they were metal panels with roof lights attached over the stripe , but il sort them eventually , thats iff you havnt already or the guy can find the digital finished version .. progress is being made though we will get there in the end :):thumbsup

45. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

ok my truck is on the way i got a revell freightliner convensional , it has the exact right size sleeper it will just need raising up higher , ive looked at the model and pictures of the pork chop truck and they have the exact same details except its sleeper is taller , same door , hinges etc , il post some pics when i get it ..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  46. 19narvik40

moffeaton,

Are the decals the ones that chromiumdioxide did? I've been in contact with him and he can't find the .psd file. I do have the unfinished sheet he had up on photobucket and he did send me a photo of the 'JACK' for the doors.

Do you know if George is going to do the enlarged 150 gallon tanks? Is there a way I could contact George directly? Thank you in advance for your work on this.

Best regards,
    Don

47. moffeaton

No, they will be decals I make in Illustrator.

I'm mastering the larger tanks for George, yep.

I'll let you know when it' all ready, and you can contact him then!

48. 19narvik40

Thanks, looking forward to it.

49. Jonnieboy

Jonnieboy New Member

50. 19narvik40

Jonnieboy,

Fantastic find and even better deal !!! Good thing I did know or we would have had a bidding war you and I. :devil I think I am just going to concentrate on doing the tractor first and worry about the trailer later. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jonnieboy likes this.