Best Cap shield replicas?

in_America_Shield_Front_Close_up__98618.1658875629.jpg
Still on the hunt for a close to screen accurate shield! Does anyone have this one from comicsandwiches?

View attachment 1611274Still on the hunt for a close to screen accurate shield! Does anyone have this one from comicsandwiches?
I don't have that shield, but I do have another by Comic Sandwiches (Their shattered Endgame shield) and got to check out all their stuff at C2E2 the other week. Their stuff looks incredible and you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking shield.

All shields get some things wrong, so the most important thing is to pick one that looks best to you.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. Looking to add a defintive Captain America sheild to the collection and about to pull the trigger on one from Comic Sandwiches. Any other RPFer’s have experience or pictures of their shields from them? Much appreciated!

Bumping this thread. Looking to add a defintive Captain America sheild to the collection and about to pull the trigger on one from Comic Sandwiches. Any other RPFer’s have experience or pictures of their shields from them? Much appreciated!
Comic Sandwiches makes really great shields.

If you can find a Lager, those or Chris Fields' are probably the top of the non licenced versions.

For licenced King Arts is very nice and of course the Hasbro metal shield, although it's difficult to find an affordable and authentic non-recast version these days.

Yeah that would probably work. I wonder why it is so hard to machine the star into the shield itself. The studio probably did it right?
I contacted someone in the prop department and asked about this. From what I was told the star and grooves are CNC machined in. I contacted CNC machining companies for quotes and the price per unit was insanely cost prohibitive, hence why most shield makers likely opt to skip it.

I've spent a long time staring at reference pictures asking myself this too, and based on what I've seen of the screen used props/official replicas here's my best guess: (see my crude cross section I made in ms paint haha)

Main thing that gives way this "plug" design is the second groove from the middle in the back of all official shields has a gap that's wider than the rest, which leads me to believe that the center blue/star section is a separate piece that's secured to the rest of the rings with adhesive as well as the bracket itself.

(Note: without actually having seen the masterworks shield in person, I can assume that even those shields aren't 100% spun/machined metal because it looks like the backs of those are cast from an original hero prop, as with the efx shields)
Your assumption is correct. According to Russell Bobbitt in an interview the original The First Avenger prop was all metal and far too heavy for Chris Evans to lift after a few hours. He’d demand to use the foam stunt shield. But, accord to Bobbitt, nothing looks like metal but metal. So they engineered a prop that has a metal face and a hard foam/resin back. It weighed about 7.5 lbs and Evans was able to act with it. The hero shields have been made this way since.

Ohh. I didnt understand what you meant.
Man for 4K I’d be upset to not have a full metal replica
True. But at a 24” (more or less) wide disc that’s about .5” thick that would weigh something like 20 lbs. if made of solid aluminum.

Remember the eFx shield is larger then 24” but the Masterworks Shield is advertised as 24”.
I’m sorry, I’ve been reading this thread in chronological order and must’ve missed it. What is the diameter of the EFX shield?

For some perspective, here are photos of a version in my personal collection, this one made by Chris Fields a number of years ago. It's a little over 25" wide, which holding against my body is a tad large.
This was the first fan-made version to feature the grooves on the backside but still needed a glued-on star and had the hole in the middle for mounting during the manufacturing process.
View attachment 1033709View attachment 1033710View attachment 1033711View attachment 1033712
I have been trying to figure how those TFA buckles were made. I was able to find the accurate buckles for subsequent films.

I recently purchased a plastic one off Amazon.
Not looking for perfect screen accuracy or cosplay, just wanted something cool to hang on the wall.
What's the best way to hang these? I'm thinking of hanging it on my bedroom door, so I don't want a one-point mount (don't want it to swing when the door opens and closes). Probably need a two-point mount. Can't really go with the straps as the star wouldn't point up straight.

Any advice?
A bit late to this thread, but I use this wall mount. You can find the file somewhere if you have a 3D printer. https://www.etsy.com/listing/958962846/wall-mount-for-capt-america-shield

If you go that route, a word of advice is to line the points of contact with soft felt. The bare plastic immediately scratched my shield.

Hey guys. Heres the guy from the link above who won the screen-used Endgame shield. He’s from michigan and stationed in the U.K. and seems to be a fellow fan. I wonder if he would be open to a member visiting his shield and really documenting the details. I don’t think anyone should badger this young man, but it seems like a unique opportunity to spend time with an actual screen used shield.
Hey Valor, Can you share how you were able to identify this man as the winner of the shield? I’m seeing this years later, but I cannot find that information in the provided link.

I read this entire thread and did not see that anyone made contact with the presumed owner. I have no issue reaching out to a total stranger about the shield. I’ve done it before. But when I do I like to give a brief explanation as to how I got their name so I don’t come off as a phishing attempt.

Hey Valor, Can you share how you were able to identify this man as the winner of the shield? I’m seeing this years later, but I cannot find that information in the provided link.

I read this entire thread and did not see that anyone made contact with the presumed owner. I have no issue reaching out to a total stranger about the shield. I’ve done it before. But when I do I like to give a brief explanation as to how I got their name so I don’t come off as a phishing attempt.
I really dont remember.

I know this is a few years old, but thank you for posting these reference images. It's strange because I made my shield from a straight on overhead image of the movie prop then double checked it on a 2nd overhead image of another shield and (assuming the diameter was 24") the center blue circle measured 9.4". Taking the curvature into account it ended up 9.5". Can't imagine why it was 1/2 an inch off even with lens distortion.

Attachments

• tempImageBwrdeA.png
    tempImageBwrdeA.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImageevHGNL.png
    tempImageevHGNL.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 38
Not sure if you saw this:

I did. If only I had the funds :)

Apologies if you already know the back story. But, Russell Bobbitt said in interviews that the original shield was all metal and weighed about 14 lbs. Evans could not lift his arm after hours of filming and wanted to use the lighter stunt shield, which was made out of foam. Even though the chrome paint they use is very high quality, according to Bobbitt, "Nothing looks like metal but metal." So, they figured out a way to engineer a shield with an aluminum outer shell and a high density rigid foam/resin back. That shield ended up weighing a manageable 7.5 lbs. The reason I'm saying all of this is, I think that the shield in this listing is the all metal version. The back doesn't look as imitation metal as it does in subsequent movies. And in the photo of the side there is a clear seam along the edge, presumably from where they affixed the front and back together.

The dimensions are surprising to me as I'd always heard the "official" dimensions (if there even is such a thing) to be a 24" diameter and 3" height. But that might just be for the Marvel Masterworks shield. I'm still trying to find a Masterworks owner to see if they can provide measurements.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back