Bespin Guard Blaster Relby K-23 Greeblies, research, etc.

hello guys,
we have some cool news with Pedro
we are still working in the background on models of the whole barrel and back side parts of that pistol so I can possibly offer a conversion kit for the thing :)
Thanks to the help of Cantina_Dude, we now have the actual vintage V8 part identified for the back, and thanks again for the measurements he gave me, I was able to make an accurate model and match it to his very easy to match photo with the cutting mat :) :
V8part_match.jpg

and here with a close match on the screen-used pistol with a few parts added from the Nemrod itself:
back_persp_match2.jpg

this allowed me to figure out the back washer shape which is a bit particular:
washer.jpg

and I think that Pedro will take over at this point and show you the actual matching V8 part that he found in his kit!!! :):)
:)(y)

In the meantime, I did a first aluminium prototype of the V8 back part. I'll be doing a run of a complete assembly for the muzzle, barrel, back parts, all threading to an M8 rod. final V8 part will be machined from black Delrin for authenticity :)
IMG_20220605_161402.jpg

IMG_20220605_162609.jpg

I didn't have a M8 rod on hand this week end, so I turned and treaded an aluminium rod instead for my own prototype, it will do fine :) The threaded washer for the end is not done yet, i'll wait for accurate measurements from Pedro to double check my model. In the mean time, I put a nut to secure everything
IMG_20220605_181349.jpg

IMG_20220605_181519.jpg

for the barrel sleeve, we are thinking of using a 22mm aluminium tube. I don't know what you guys think. We have been measuring carefully on a lot of photos and our 3D models, it's always difficult to be certain of a diameter, much more difficult than a length like the barrel length for instance. I was thinking it was a bit thinner than 22mm, but in the end, we are leaning towards that, plus, it's difficult to find anything else than 20mm or 22mm (or 22.2mm in inch).

I love this blaster! it's going to be super cool to do that and I hope that people that were a bit cautious about starting a conversion of a real Nemrod will feel more confident that way :) :)
cheers

Sorry I've missed all the action guys, was quite immersed in a real life project lately. :) I'm really excited to be participating in finally nailing all the details of this blaster, thanks to all of you for contributing, especially eethan and Ryan Clinton! Indeed I found the washer part while going through my 70's/80's issue Visible V8 the other day. :D It's a silver piece, part number 50, here's a pic:
V8_washer.jpeg

I was hoping I might find a clue to the mystery greeblie that's cut up and used in several spots, but no such luck.

Alas, my lead on the calculator button was a bust. I bought a Sharp Elsi Mate, which has a CE button with the correct proportions and font, but with it in hand it's clearly way too small. There are a lot of Sharp calculators from the era that use this font, at the very least it might be a good lead? There's a "blackjack" game/calculator (a couple of different re-brands) that looks promising, but I don't have the scale, they might be small like the Sharp. Tom mentioned that he thinks the letters are not quite aligned/same size, but I think that might just be a trick of perspective in the pic. Having looked at a zillion calculators, I haven't notice ANY that have miss-match fonts. The hunt continues! Here's a pic for grins:

INCORRECT CE BUTTON - Too small
SharpElsiMate_EL-218K.jpg

I believe that this leaves us with only the mystery greeblie and calculator button to identify? I will have some new muzzle/gear prints ready to show a bit later, I'm just about there. Question: Do you folks think the base and front "gears" are the same? I initially thought they were different sizes, but after working on them I'm pretty sure they're the same, and discrepancies can be chalked up to sloppy castings.

That's all for now. Let's perfect this thing!!

Fun thread!
I have the Galeon and all the vintage known parts. Would love to add a couple machined parts and finally build it.
I also have my finished cast from original prop too.

I don't suppose that I can talk you into sharing any pics/measurements from your casting? This could tell us a lot! 22mm barrel diameter? Detail on the mystery greeblie? This would be tremendously helpful in spec'ing this thing out!

I think we still have the greeblie with 4 dots, the rectangular greeblie, and this calculator button.

If it helps, the button is most likely hard plastic, with rounded corners. At some point calculators started using rubber buttons which can be very misleading. amazing find on the V8 part!!!

pretty fun, in white is the model I made of the washer based on a photo of the screen-used gun above, the washer was pretty small on that photo to match, in green is the accurate model to the real part that we found with photos and measurements provided by Pedro and Cantina Dude (thank you so much guys!), my base was a bit thicker, but the model is extremely close all things considered! So cool that we found that part :)

will finish turning this part tomorrow and post photos :)

1654550572747.png

1654550722648.png

Who owns the rights to all these lineage casts I keep hearing about? It would be great to get a run of castings going like the resin RoTJ hero stunts a couple years back.

Hey guys,
today's update :)

here is the turned washer based on the real part measurements :)
IMG_20220607_100847.jpg

both finished prototype parts,
as you can see, the main V8 part has a small 13mm wide cylinder at the base, this is to center it easily on the cut back part of the barrel. Same for the washer, it has a 10mm long cylinder at the back that goes into the main V8 part to center it and to provide a good length of threading for a secured connection :)
IMG_20220607_101112.jpg

IMG_20220607_101132.jpg

and, assembled on the pistol, pretty cool!!
IMG_20220607_101404.jpg

cheers

I scratch made one out of aluminum... hand sculpted plate and coins cut from a round rod :lol:

I've always thought this had the look of those large battleship/boat model kits but never was able to ID it

Thanks kurtyboy! eethan suggested some changes to my muzzle and I think I'm happy with it now. Here's a perspective match gif I spent way too much time making. I'm matching "by hand" so the perspective/angle isn't perfect, but in particular noting the spacing and thickness of the ribs along the center line, it looks about right to me. Again, the castings are really crooked, so it's nearly impossible to match multiple parts without "assembling" them out of whack in the 3d model. The diameter of the rings looks a bit big here, but it definitely matches a side view, so that's a trick of the angle/perspective. Do you guys see anything you'd change? (sorry, the lines indicating edges/bevels are a bit thick, software limitation)
K23BarrelMatch.gif

Here's a side view match. This is the best side view I've found of the blaster, but this exhibit example has been modified - The cut the muzzle tip at the front ring (and removed the ring), presumably it was damaged like most remaining props.
RelbyK23BarrelMatch.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back