Bespin Guard Blaster Relby K-23 Greeblies, research, etc.

No luck on the calculator button. BUT here are the two versions of trigger. I think the correct one is found on short barreled ones, which are more rare (of course)
View attachment 1412919
and a proper rear flange, 2 states of damage
View attachment 1412920View attachment 1412921

and the trigger mechanism is a long skinny rod that lifts the valve/lever thingy inside the rear cylinder. You can see the barrel extends into the rear cylinder.
View attachment 1412922

This is why I wonder how it's constructed because that rod holds the trigger in place, which would have been removed or cut. though it looks like a metric threaded rod holds things in the back of the gun. There is space for the threaded rod to run all the way to the front/barrel, which is intriguing
Definitely right about the 2 different triggers the 2 i bought only one had the correct trigger. I did cast the correct trigger so if anyone needs a cast of it just pm me. I also cast the original parts so I didn't have to chop them up. Working on the right side Frankenstein greeblie which uses the v8 model kit piece and the f4e phantom 2 bomb piece. Once done ill cast that so its all
20220515_141152.jpg
20220515_140454.jpg
one piece.
20220508_223957.jpg

Last edited:
Also ive seen some k-23's with the pan am stir stick or whatever it is they actually used on both sides of the blaster. The photos of the existing props only have it on the right side. I found this photo a screen shot showing its only on one side.
20220321_000041.jpg

Also ive seen some k-23's with the pan am stir stick or whatever it is they actually used on both sides of the blaster. The photos of the existing props only have it on the right side. I found this photo a screen shot showing its only on one side.View attachment 1576169
Great photo!
From pictures I’ve seen, some are private, some not, I think the upper receiver was supposed to be the same on both sides. I get the feeling they used a couple drops of superglue or something, I’ve seen other failed Star Wars greeblies pop off and leave a couple dots. They probably fell off lol

I'm currently working on the muzzle and gear pieces too, if you want to collaborate. I'd LOVE machined parts!
Sure! I don't want to step on your toes, but if aluminium is of more interest than resin, i'll be happy to help and am currently in a good in between big projects situation to do this kind of smaller parts quickly :)

Well this blaster unexpectedly ate my project time this week. :lol: But I've made a ton of progress nailing down the geometry, and a valiant effort at locating the CE button.

The button - Well, I've gotten as far as Q on Vintage Calculators Web Museum and unless I missed it, no match yet. I'm not certain how complete their listings are for big companies like Texas Instruments, HP, Siemens, etc. The best aesthetic match I've been able to find is on a blackjack game calc haha! But I don't think it's the right type of material for a match, assuming that this one is Exactra-like. I do not believe that TI or HP made a calc with a CE button in that font. But easy to make in 3d!

Here's a quick greeblie reference, making little tweaks here and there. Working on the muzzle too, but I don't have good pix yet.
Collage-1.jpg

GearMatch-1.jpg

Yes! I noticed there are Oxford calculators that had a similar plastic rounded rectangular button but... wrong font again. Also note: the E is taller and larger than the C. I always thought this was a useful tool for scanning buttons

hey guys, just to add my contribution,
the front muzzle can be removed, I have a nemrod in pretty good condition and it unscrewed relatively easily:
DSC04849.JPG

sadly, this is not the Nemrod I'll convert as it's in really good condition. the other one I have, there is no way the front muzzle will come off.

additionally, and this is not of any interest to us I think, but I was trying to figure out if the barrel tube could be removed, the back aluminium piece can be removed too. it's either glued or just force fit somehow:
DSC04850.JPG

Pedro is currently working on a really nice model of the front muzzle, he has already implemented the different thickness of each ring. and when this is all validated, I hope to be able to offer them in aluminium. I just need to source a tool with a small circular shape to get a perfect result of the slope at the base of each ring.

cheers

yes!!!

Great work! how did you remove the back piece?
Honestly, yes to the barrel thing. I have reason to believe the new barrel was put in place because there was an issue with the original, since it is basically the spine for the whole blaster.

for the back piece, I just put it in a big vice with some rubber around it for protection and worked the body of the harpoon a bit every way, and very soon, I saw that it started to move. I removed it from the vice and just pulled the think by hand after that :)

hey, does anyone has pics of the actual V8 part that goes in the back? I have seen some assembled on blasters but they were not an exact match.
thanks a lot :)
228992_0.jpg

The flash hider is absolutely wonky, just like a lightsaber! That makes it fun. Almost got it! This is an attempt at perspective matching this pic, but I've matched a few others as well, I'm building from all the source material I can find. The "gear" is rotated on the real blaster (relative to making it simply in CAD), hence the teeth matching but the whole thing misaligned. If you have photoshop you can overlay them and see what I mean. I'm open to suggestions/constructive criticism!
BarrelMatch_wireframe.jpg

BarrelMatch_source.jpg

The "gears" aside from being sloppily aligned, cast, and beat up, are very uniform. I'm 99% certain they're made from found parts. There's a possibility that each gear was two halves glued together to make a full circle. If you look closely you'll see that the top and bottom "teeth" are wider than the others. This also might just be an artifact of the two part mold, not really sure which. But I'm making it. :D

I'm going to be a tease and say that I think I've found the button, I'll fill the forum in after I have it in hand (or at least the info so we can dig for similar!). I promise, no secrets!

I'll dig out the V8 part and get you some pics eethan! Or if you want data (measurements) I can do that too. (y)

So eethan , do I understand correctly that the rear tube is just pressure fit into the black plastic? Pull pull pull? Did you unscrew the tip by using a straight tool through those holes or something? I haven't got mine to budge!

The flash hider is absolutely wonky, just like a lightsaber! That makes it fun. Almost got it! This is an attempt at perspective matching this pic, but I've matched a few others as well, I'm building from all the source material I can find. The "gear" is rotated on the real blaster (relative to making it simply in CAD), hence the teeth matching but the whole thing misaligned. If you have photoshop you can overlay them and see what I mean. I'm open to suggestions/constructive criticism!
View attachment 1581806
View attachment 1581807

The "gears" aside from being sloppily aligned, cast, and beat up, are very uniform. I'm 99% certain they're made from found parts. There's a possibility that each gear was two halves glued together to make a full circle. If you look closely you'll see that the top and bottom "teeth" are wider than the others. This also might just be an artifact of the two part mold, not really sure which. But I'm making it. :D

I'm going to be a tease and say that I think I've found the button, I'll fill the forum in after I have it in hand (or at least the info so we can dig for similar!). I promise, no secrets!
I don't have much to add but there are a LOT of casts of this blaster. I've seen them with non-beveled gears that are rather wide, and different widths. I have also seen the first 4 FH rings being the same, then the last 2 are the same. Good model, I like how flat the rings are

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back