Battlestar Galactica BSG Season 1 Blaster Build

LoganFord

Hi all ! This is the first post of my own,

yes a little late to the BSG prop arena, but I rewatched the series recently and was inspired to have a go given the great content on here!

so I got a kit printed, not the best and needed a lot of sanding!! I’m a novice at this, my first build ever, ialso wanted to show what could be achieved with a little resource and no prior knowledge.

hoping you like the end result!!

8E5D4FBA-26AA-4789-8E93-9C37F5E6BCC6.png

Sanding was painful, I invested in a cheap dremel rotary tool, only to find the speed reached a point that it melted the plastic kit!! Lesson learned I refilled and went at it by hand.

decided to paint the main body on Matt black following grey undercoat, then go for the graphite powder coating the finish with clear coat. Few rattle cans bought (no sprayer of my own)
F687A592-36ED-4665-AB5D-3A9C874FB8C4.jpeg

added some weight to the barrel with some threaded bolts I chopped to size and glued out of sight.

my high tech spray station of a cardboard box and garden wire to hang parts…yes I did invest in a mask and sprayed outsid

5F32F2C4-7247-48A8-BCE5-76F90EE93E77.jpeg

I decided to add more weight inside the grip so cut out some plastic and cut bolts to size.

806C5EA9-5114-4D5F-81D2-3F9A48FF5DC9.jpeg

Then assembled the rest of the parts…

D7E25A01-4EED-47FC-BE8C-4D9F79C51A29.jpeg

I bought some cheap acrylic paints various colours and mixes for the handle, first a brown layer then black dry brush to get wood grain appearance, then coated in clear
13C67F8D-C769-4851-9B3E-F6A04FE5EEF1.jpeg

B69B4325-A1E1-4160-AF16-4713B0A2964E.jpeg

5680BF7E-1E97-4297-87F0-F16996C9F6F7.jpeg

Finally set the handle and put some screws in for effect,
Finished prop with some light weathering chrome paint again dry brush approach.
401E7853-CDFF-4488-A859-E4B0F2897B01.jpeg

49AAEE2C-5650-4227-97A1-D11A7B1CD7D9.jpeg

and finally In it’s setting along with the lighter from the series

31E16731-21D0-4DED-B9B8-5CD7A84524F2.jpeg

was a good project and a welcome distraction! Looking forward to the next one although I decided on what to do, enjoyed it

For a first effort you've done really very well. As you found out, a Dremel type tool has to be used with great care. it would be better to use one with a variable speed option. It also isn't the best option for sanding larger areas like on plastics, the foam sanding blocks now available are a much better option. Personally, I rather like your painting of the pistol grip. Do you have any way to lock the hinged piece so it doesn't fall open at inopportune moments?

Thanks!! I wanted that wood effect and I tried a few things, landing on the brown the black dry brushing, soft paper towel to blend it…worked out better than I expected. Especially given the only thing I’ve painted before is walls in a house

I will look into a multi speed dremel and those sanding blocks, thanks for the tip, hoping that will help with the next project - undecided still

I cheated a little with the hinge, i placed two screws inset into the revolver frame (as I had seen this in other photos) and left the one under the hinge piece a little proud of the frame - you wouldn’t notice up close, but it’s enough to grip the side of the piece as you close it and hold it in place.

7281C6DA-74AC-4107-8BE7-A5FA9A121F53.jpeg

Thanks!! I wanted that wood effect and I tried a few things, landing on the brown the black dry brushing, soft paper towel to blend it…worked out better than I expected. Especially given the only thing I’ve painted before is walls in a house

I will look into a multi speed dremel and those sanding blocks, thanks for the tip, hoping that will help with the next project - undecided still

I cheated a little with the hinge, i placed two screws inset into the revolver frame (as I had seen this in other photos) and left the one under the hinge piece a little proud of the frame - you wouldn’t notice up close, but it’s enough to grip the side of the piece as you close it and hold it in place.

View attachment 1478269

Nice simple solution, well done. My brain immediately went to rare earth magnets, something mounted on the trigger guard and the inside of the hinged piece. I tend to overthink and over engineer things and make them unnecessarily complicated. Does the trigger work?

Nice simple solution, well done. My brain immediately went to rare earth magnets, something mounted on the trigger guard and the inside of the hinged piece. I tend to overthink and over engineer things and make them unnecessarily complicated. Does the trigger work?
Nice solution for a proper build, but as a novice I worked with what I had at hand, trigger works but it’s a printed kit so no revolver cylinder action and no hammer in the kit.

would love a proper kit with those features but have been unable to source one, same goes for season 2-4 blaster when they moved to automatic pistol with the under barrelled launcher.

if anyone has any idea on those would be interested! Thanks

Nice solution for a proper build, but as a novice I worked with what I had at hand, trigger works but it’s a printed kit so no revolver cylinder action and no hammer in the kit.

would love a proper kit with those features but have been unable to source one, same goes for season 2-4 blaster when they moved to automatic pistol with the under barrelled launcher.

if anyone has any idea on those would be interested! Thanks

Here are some articles on the orignal Mini-series/Season 1 sidearm, Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries (2003) - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Season 1 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

There was an airsoft offered briefly but it long gone. Off World Super Charge Blaster Airsoft Gun

Another member here, Matsuo did several up as well as offered a kit of the clamshell and pistol grips. Again sadly long gone.

You could find yourself an airsoft or replica and modify yours but you would need to cut down the hammer, remove the back sights and shorten the barrel as illustrated here on one of Matsuo's models. In this case he used a Colt Python for the base.
matsou.jpg

As for the Season 2-4 sidearm, the FN Fiveseven, there are still airsoft models available but not with the distinctive enmlarged trigger guard. All You would have to do is add the underside grenade launcher. Here is a article about the Season 2 sidearm, Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Season 2 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

I hope this helps.

Here are some articles on the orignal Mini-series/Season 1 sidearm, Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries (2003) - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Season 1 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

There was an airsoft offered briefly but it long gone. Off World Super Charge Blaster Airsoft Gun

Another member here, Matsuo did several up as well as offered a kit of the clamshell and pistol grips. Again sadly long gone.

You could find yourself an airsoft or replica and modify yours but you would need to cut down the hammer, remove the back sights and shorten the barrel as illustrated here on one of Matsuo's models. In this case he used a Colt Python for the base.
View attachment 1479103

As for the Season 2-4 sidearm, the FN Fiveseven, there are still airsoft models available but not with the distinctive enmlarged trigger guard. All You would have to do is add the underside grenade launcher. Here is a article about the Season 2 sidearm, Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Season 2 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

I hope this helps.
Thanks so much very helpful!! I appreciate I’m late to the party on a series from 2003…is it really that long

not sure on the air soft regs over here, I think anything over 1 joule is illegal, so my options are limited, plus importing firearm like items is precarious abs fraught with legal implications…hence I’ll end up going for kits and not pre built..a little easier!

Thanks so much very helpful!! I appreciate I’m late to the party on a series from 2003…is it really that long

not sure on the air soft regs over here, I think anything over 1 joule is illegal, so my options are limited, plus importing firearm like items is precarious abs fraught with legal implications…hence I’ll end up going for kits and not pre built..a little easier!
Do you have any airsoft stores where you are? They would almost certainly have the revolver in one iteration or another. The Fiveseven may be be more problematic

Hi all ! This is the first post of my own,

yes a little late to the BSG prop arena, but I rewatched the series recently and was inspired to have a go given the great content on here!

so I got a kit printed, not the best and needed a lot of sanding!! I’m a novice at this, my first build ever, ialso wanted to show what could be achieved with a little resource and no prior knowledge.

hoping you like the end result!!

View attachment 1478148

Sanding was painful, I invested in a cheap dremel rotary tool, only to find the speed reached a point that it melted the plastic kit!! Lesson learned I refilled and went at it by hand.

decided to paint the main body on Matt black following grey undercoat, then go for the graphite powder coating the finish with clear coat. Few rattle cans bought (no sprayer of my own)View attachment 1478149

added some weight to the barrel with some threaded bolts I chopped to size and glued out of sight.

my high tech spray station of a cardboard box and garden wire to hang parts…yes I did invest in a mask and sprayed outsid

View attachment 1478150

I decided to add more weight inside the grip so cut out some plastic and cut bolts to size.

View attachment 1478151
Then assembled the rest of the parts…

View attachment 1478152

I bought some cheap acrylic paints various colours and mixes for the handle, first a brown layer then black dry brush to get wood grain appearance, then coated in clear
View attachment 1478153
View attachment 1478154
View attachment 1478155
Finally set the handle and put some screws in for effect,
Finished prop with some light weathering chrome paint again dry brush approach.View attachment 1478156
View attachment 1478157

and finally In it’s setting along with the lighter from the series

View attachment 1478158

was a good project and a welcome distraction! Looking forward to the next one although I decided on what to do, enjoyed it
Beautiful build!! I was curious what are dimensions of your blaster? I downloaded an STL for a BSG season 1 blaster...but it seems a bit small, more like the .38 caliber vs the .44. Any insight would be great. Size : 203mm x 125mm x 37mm

Nice build. Which kit did you use, and where to get?
That looks like a Matsuo kit. I've done some research and he doesn't produce those anymore...unfortunately. It's a beautiful kit and probably the best kit out there. You might find one on the secondary market...."junkyard" or ebay. They do come up...but not very often. You can find kit that is similar on Etsy ( seller is PremierProps)that claims to use that Matsuo kit as a reference. So it has the cylinder, moving parts, etc. The print though...in the pictures...looks a little rough... but is most likely the photos. However, with a little elbow grease and sandpaper...I'm sure it will be fine. I just did download of stl files (from Esty seller DreamofProps) so if you don't mind a static prop...this is not a bad option. I did also print a new handle that was a little more accurate from Thingiverse. Here's my build of the DreamofProps file. Hope that points you in the right direction

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The above pic on plywood was my Matsuo build from a long time ago. It was an early Matsuo kit and he revised later versions as more reference on the gun became known.

That looks like a Matsuo kit. I've done some research and he doesn't produce those anymore...unfortunately. It's a beautiful kit and probably the best kit out there. You might find one on the secondary market...."junkyard" or ebay. They do come up...but not very often. You can find kit that is similar on Etsy ( seller is Punished Props)that claims to use that Matsuo kit as a reference. So it has the cylinder, moving parts, etc. The print though...in the pictures...looks a little rough... but is most likely the photos. However, with a little elbow grease and sandpaper...I'm sure it will be fine. I just did download of stl files (from Esty seller DreamofProps) so if you don't mind a static prop...this is not a bad option. I did also print a new handle that was a little more accurate from Thingiverse. Here's my build of the DreamofProps file. Hope that points you in the right direction
Hello

I have the Static Prop as well as was wondering what did you use as a Search Term on the thingiverse to locate the more "accurate" grip???

Hello dcast. Thanks for info. I found the DreamofParts stl's, but was unable to find the Punished Props kit. Would you be able to provide more info to help me locate?
Hello darkev2. I think the improved grip is this one: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Season 1 Handgun Parts by Retrogram
Hey there, my mistake, it was PremierProps on Etsy ( Punished Props Academy also did one but more for cosplay). Here is the a picture and a link BSG Colonial Blaster. For my build I used the the Retrogram handle it was a close fit. He recently upsized the the blaster to be more accurate...I believe 15%. I made my mine, before the resize, 13% bigger. The "upgraded handle was a little too tight so I had to do some sanding. So since DreamofParts up-sized his blaster by an additional 15 percent...you would probably need to increase the size of the handle also...I would guess 2 or 3%...since is almost fit when I initially printed it. Either way...measure the opening of the handle and then the back of the frame....that should get you in the ball park. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 002946.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 002946.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 55
Beautiful build!! I was curious what are dimensions of your blaster? I downloaded an STL for a BSG season 1 blaster...but it seems a bit small, more like the .38 caliber vs the .44. Any insight would be great. Size : 203mm x 125mm x 37mm
Just measured it up, it’s larger than that, near 230-5mm x 140-150mm x 55mm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back