Batman Begins closet scene build

Re: Dullam-Causey Begins Closet: Hanger?

Full steam ahead on this again :)

I'm not going for a super accurate closet like Dullam & Causey did, and I'm not even sure I have the physical space necessary to accomodate such a monster. And if I did build it, I don't know if it would fit through my door when I move.

But for now, I can at least get some stuff together. I got my torso from Bob and will probably be getting Jay from Cos And FX studios to attach it to the undersuit and paint it, and paint the cowl to match it.

100_2422.jpg

100_2431.jpg

I did find some shelf brackets at the local Lowe's that are close enough, but they needed a little Hammered Bronze paint to get them just right. They don't fully match the Grapple Gun and Utility Belt, but just a bit darker, letting the gun and belt shine. I only got one to test it, but I'll definitely be getting 3 more like it. The important thing is that when placed diagonally above the suit shoulders, the curve of the bracket follows the shoulder curve exactly.

In the meantime, my fiberglass gauntlets have arrived and been painted. I might darken them just a bit more, but I'll have to wait and see how Jay does the cowl and torso and match it.

100_2524.jpg

edit: First shelf done, and I think I like these.

100_2528.jpg

100_2526.jpg

Last edited:

Here's a pretty obscure question. Does anyone know what the outside of the Begins closet looked like? The scene in the film is as Bruce opens it, so there's no good view of the doors and handles on them.

I'm looking some some antique bronze handles to use on mine, but I'd like to match it as close as possible to the real deal. Anyone got a clue?

So far I like these:

http://www.doorhardwareetc.com/Emtek-Brass-Turino-Leverset_p_34-193.html

Welp, lacking any information whatsoever on what the closet doors look like, beyond just knowing they are double doors with lever handles, I'm going ahead and improvising.

Based on the Dullam-Causey photos I've sketched out some rough diagrams and done the math on the pieces of lumber I'll need, and I'm having the drawer fronts custom built to spec.

For the front doors, I'm going to put those forged Lancaster handles on them, probably just as dummy handles (and have the doors latch magnetically).

Just above the handles I'm putting a 9.5" Chinese wedding cabinet medallion with a lock pin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=180118492787&rd=1&rd=1

I will not be using the pulls that come with this medallion. It will only attach to the outside and use the pin to lock.

The lever handles, and medallion will both be painted hammered bronze to match the shelves.

That would certainly look the part. Good idea!

Do you have a screen cap of the doors in the film?

Delivery day! 38 brass flush ring pulls... except, I goofed. I think these are too small. 1.5 inches tall. The overall shape and color will definitely fit in with my wood and stain (test pics below), but I wish I'd noticed before ordering that they aren't big enough to be completely accurate. Grrr.

ringpull%201.jpg

ringpull%202.jpg

ringpull%203.jpg

And here's the completed back wall.

backboard.jpg

Last edited:

Scale tests. Yep, the pull rings are too small. But I'll probably go ahead anyway and just let it be inaccurate.

Really anxious to get those drawer faces now!

testshot%201.jpg

testshot%202.jpg

testshot%203.jpg

testshot%204.jpg

testshot%205.jpg

testshot%206.jpg

By the end of the weekend I should have enough finished that I can actually put the Batsuit in it.

It's fun making it, but damn I'm ready for this thing to be done.

fronts%202.jpg

fronts%203.jpg

capehang%201.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, that's really coming along! :eek
Keep it up man... it's becoming a killer display! :thumbsup

doormedallion%201.jpg

doormedallion%202.jpg

Working on the medallion for the doors

Pretty much just improvising now.

Scale test:
test.jpg

I'm going to place the medallion at head height, or juuust below it, on the outside doors. So when you place your hands on the handles and open the doors, you are 'forced' into seeing the Bat's eyes at first.

Last edited:

Attached a bar to the left side of the display to hang the utility belt on. Also temporarily propped up the shelves to see how the boots and gauntlets will look at the same height.

Then finally gave the gauntlets one more light coat of satin black, to bring out the perfect blend of shiny/matte.

picture-2.jpg

ng.jpg

Finally got the walls and shelves attached. It now stands on its own without leaning against something. My hands are as sore as they've ever been. Getting the shelves level with each other was quite challenging.

And this mother***** is HEAVY. I had been considering heavy duty castors on the bottom, but now I really have no choice.

It's huge and bulky and awkward, but the badassness makes up for it. Can't wait to get the top/bottom/doors on it.

freestanding%2010.jpg

freestanding%209.jpg

freestanding%208.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back