Batman Arkham City Cane

philipdgls

So I’m going to the May 2015 London MCM Comic Con and I’ve decided to Cosplay as The Akham City version of the nefarious Riddler.... The first thing I wanted to create was his cane. I started off by measuring the cane that comes with the Batman Arkham City Riddler Action Figure I then measured the figure. After I compared it to the height of Nigma noted down in the Guide Book for the Game. By doing this I was able to work out the scale...

attachment.php

Here is the drawing/blueprint of the design. I then proceeded printing out the design (actual size) and tracing it over a piece of MDF. I cut out the head of the cane and then was able to use that as a new stronger template..

attachment.php

Using this I traced the design onto two thicker pieces of MDF... The great thing about MDF is that it doesn’t have a grain.

I cut thoese out using a mixture of a Band Saw and a Jigsaw. The next thing to do was weld/solder the coper handle together... This was fun by the way lol... Using plumming pieces I was able to create a handle that dipped in at the centre. This was also very strong...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Next I drilled into the head of the cane (making sure it was straight the whole time) and fixed in inside using a nut and bolt. After I gave the whole thing a spray of primer.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I also added the bottom pieces aswell. They were made by drilling into the MDF and shaping them with the sander. I painted the whole thing green exept the handle and the edges of the Cane’s head. They were a metalic silvery grey.

attachment.php

I wasn’t particuley happy at this stage as I felt it was missing something. Y’know those wooden sticks you get at coffee shops to stir your coffee and what not. It turns out they make great edging strips for a Cane Head.

attachment.php

I next painted that silver and finished painting the rest. Let me also add, I used silver metal tape in between the Dot of the Question Mark and the Head and also between the two bottom pieces. Everything looked far to new so I battered the tape a little and scratched it. I also added a mottled painted texture to the cane and stick and attatched a metal dome onto the end of the cane so that it gave out a nice clang when you hit it on the floor.

I’ll Post my final Images next...

- - - Updated - - -
So here’s my finished Cane... What do you guys think? I’m still working on the cosplay itself but I think this turned out pretty well :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6369.JPG
    IMG_6369.JPG
    905.3 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_6372.JPG
    IMG_6372.JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6373.JPG
    IMG_6373.JPG
    579 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6370.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_6371.JPG
    IMG_6371.JPG
    928.4 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_6357.JPG
    IMG_6357.JPG
    804.2 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_6355.JPG
    IMG_6355.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 698
  • IMG_6353.JPG
    IMG_6353.JPG
    994 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_6352.JPG
    IMG_6352.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 732
  • IMG_6359.JPG
    IMG_6359.JPG
    994.9 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_6351.JPG
    IMG_6351.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
I got very excited when this was printed/cut.... I got the tie pin laser cut! it was cool to watch and the end result was awesome (Geek)....

attachment.php

It’s not quite finished yet but I love the way it looks painted... I did this by priming it white, then sparrying it gold and after mixing black an’ brown acrylic with water. I dabbed the paint on with my finger, blending areas with a clean finger. I also flicked paint on which gave it a scratched look to it.
I’ll post a finished pictureof this when I’ve added the pin element to it :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6350.JPG
    IMG_6350.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 539
  • IMG_6349.JPG
    IMG_6349.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 601
Okay so, I found a Suit Jacket, Online (because even online was tough to get one that looked right and was the correct size.) this of course was after I searched in every charity/thrift shop in my town and the two sorounding towns finding nothing. It said an Olive green. I thought, “yeah sure I can work with that..” The trousers/pants I had bought also said olive green.. no no no these were two different colours when they arrived lol. The jacket was dark and the trousers were light. I wasn’t going to change the colour but it turns out that acrylic paint works well as a dye when mixed with water.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 08.45.21.pngSo this is the jacket
... and this is what the trousers look like now, I painted them so they had a mottled texture to them,apart from still being too light which I am yet to correct I think they came out great. Oh I need to sew on some buttons too.
IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6124.JPG
This was me paitently handsewing the large question mark on the back.

IMG_6139.JPG
I found painting the smaller question marks on by hand worked best, mainly because they would all be unique and I wouldn’t have to spend out on iron on paper or sewable patches. After I’d finished painting them all on I went round each one with a black marker pen. It outlines them nicely, don’tcha think? :)
IMG_6299.JPG

Next was the Gloves. I’d been umming and aring on how to do them when I found these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purple-Spandex-Velvet-Costumes-Accessory/dp/B005F6O140/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431762822&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=purple+riddler+gloves

I cut off the fingers and sewed round each finger. Then I used the acrylic dye and soaked them for a few hours. They came out a duller purple and all I had to do was paint on the question marks...

IMG_6128.JPG

I really like em :)

My Bowler Hat I found in a Fancy Dress shop, I just spary primmed it and painted it a green to match the jacket, (Slightly off but hey ho)...
Just added a ribbon and a lil question mark and Bob s’your uncle.

IMG_6133.JPG

I used the same acrylic dye and flicked and rubbed in into the shirt to dirty it up.
IMG_6307.JPG

Here’s how it looks without the purple... Found an old purple tie btw...

IMG_6303.JPG
I think it looks cool so far... But it’s the purple that makes it even cooler...
attachment.php

I’ll post more pics soon :)

Attachments

• IMG_6337.JPG
    IMG_6337.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 475
Well here it is so far, I’ve gotta finish the Tie Clip and add some buttons to the trousers/pants. Oh and for anybody wondering, the glasses are just my regular glasses lol (that was a draw to the character, the idea of not having to get contact lenses lol)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6348.JPG
    IMG_6348.JPG
    974 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Simply amazing! I love it! I would distress/age the collar and cuffs more a bit like the joker jacket, the glasses finishes it off

I can't wait to see it in person

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back