Batman 1989 vault door display, looking for construction ideas

gregday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a wonderful set of all metal 89 gadgets

eerkMy5.jpg

That I would like to build a vault door display for similar to what was seen in the film:

4iaR816.jpg

SSCcjCo.jpg

FizgQX1.jpg

I am not interested in building the entire vault, or even the front side of the door with the locking bars and wheel handle -- just the inside part where the weapons are stored. The foam will be the easy part, and then I have no idea what to use to build of the "steel" layers of the door, and then for effect I'd like the silver locking pegs around the edge.

My door display would be a bit smaller than the original, I would estimate 36-42" total, with about 24-30" being the foam section for the gadgets.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make the solid part? I've looked into buying an actual submarine hatch door to use, and while the cost isn't an issue, it would weigh 100 lbs at least.

I'd use 2" thick foam insulation. Its quite dense and stiff but nice and light. You can then layer it up and paint it satin black.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back