Bandai release schedule

If thats the case how immature could someone be? BTW, thats some deep ****e, friend! LOL!

It’s ultimately an offshoot of the generational/gender gap that plagues genre fandom as a whole:

Hard SF fans hate soft sci-fi and science fantasy fans, literature fans hate media fans, Star Trek fans hate Star Wars fans, old Star Wars fans hate new Star Wars fans, etc...

”Can’t we all just get along?”

It’s ultimately an offshoot of the generational/gender gap that plagues genre fandom as a whole:

Divisions in fandoms have always existed (I'm old -- I remember Star Wars fans complaining how 'Empire' wasn't a satisfying sequel to 'Star Wars' because SHUT UP) but what's changed is the addition of the Internet. In the old days, you could talk to your friends, or other fans at a convention, or maybe people standing in line about what they liked about a particular movie, show, or book, but now everybody broadcasts their every passing thought -- no matter how profound or ridiculous -- for the entire world to see instantaneously. Like I'm doing now, of course. In some cases, it's a good thing. And in others, as we all too often see, it is not. Healthy debates can quickly morph into 'winning the argument' and simple statements of opinion quickly escalate into phallus measuring contests. In modeling or politics, it's the same -- and our societies are not yet fully aware of how this new phenomena is changing the world.

In the meantime, just be nice, everyone. And when I'm not, remind me. :cheers

All I hear these days is people on the internet talking about people talking about Empire noe being well received.

And you know what? It’s just not true. Everybody I know who saw it back in 1980 loved it. Loved it. I remember when Starlog came out with David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison and some other curmudgeonly buggers talking about “what was wrong” with the movie. Pauline Karl had the knives out for Lucas because she blamed him for “dumbing down” cinema, so she was going to hate it regardless.

But we loved it. To this day, it’s the movie I’ve seen most at the cinema.

All I hear these days is people on the internet talking about people talking about Empire noe being well received.

And you know what? It’s just not true. Everybody I know who saw it back in 1980 loved it. Loved it. I remember when Starlog came out with David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison and some other curmudgeonly buggers talking about “what was wrong” with the movie. Pauline Karl had the knives out for Lucas because she blamed him for “dumbing down” cinema, so she was going to hate it regardless.

But we loved it. To this day, it’s the movie I’ve seen most at the cinema.

It is true. ESB had mixed reviews initially but the internet was not a factor yet.

Read this:

http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-react-empire-strikes-back-1980/

You say its not true based on YOUR perception and your friends. Kind of not too reliable and also a very myopic way of forming an opinion.

Exactly.

Speaking of which, progress has been made. We shall be talking!

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve been arguing this thing for seemingly forever.

And, I don’t know. My opinion is pretty great. But, you know. You go on reading what other people tell you.

Empire was the lowest-grossing of the original trilogy. I loved it at the time too but there's no doubt it did not please everyone.

My only issue with The Empire Strikes Back was the cliffhanger ending.
My father felt he only saw part of the movie and unfortunately he died before Return of the Jedi was released so he never did get a chance to see what happened next.

Before I get into the weeds in Empire, just to reiterate my point: the Internet has changed everything. Specifically, the anonymity of the Internet, where people are emboldened to communicate in ways they never would face to face, or people in their 50s suddenly realize they're debating subjective opinions with kids in middle school. Stupid heads! :lol

Anyway, Empire. Curmudgeons like David Gerrold were not some isolated opinion. You gotta remember, at the time most sequels were like "Jaws 2" -- basically just cash-grab remakes of the first film. Lucas' idea of making an homage to the serialized format of the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials hadn't fully sunk-in yet (and he didn't even put "Episode IV" on the first film in its initial release). So it was pretty radical that 'Empire' wasn't just a remake (which is why a lot of fans have turned against TFA over the years), that it had a much different tone, that it had a puppet for a major character, that it reconceived the relationship between the protagonist and antagonist, and that it had a cliffhanger ending. As much as people say they like change -- they really don't. At least not initially. Empire did extremely well at the box office for a sequel -- the best in history to that point, in fact -- but it made a significantly smaller amount than the first film (which is an unfairly high bar, but we're talking about Hollywood accounting perceptions). There were certainly those saying that the sequel could've made much more money had Lucas not taken so many risks and messed with the formula (something fans LOVE him for when it comes to Empire but not so much when it comes to, say, the PT). Anecdotally, I'm not alone in experiencing MANY negative opinions when the movie was released, from friends and strangers. No one was saying it was 'The Black Hole' bad, but seriously most people I knew would say something like, "Well, it was pretty good. The walkers and asteroid scenes were cool. And Yoda was funny. But it was no 'Star Wars." Basically, a LOT of people went into it hoping for the same jolt of delight as they'd experienced with the first film and when they didn't quite get it were disappointed (sounds depressingly familiar, right?) Not hostile PT or TLJ disappointed, but definitely hoping the next one would be better. And sure enough, several of the Jedi reviews mentioned specific steps the movie took to "make up" for the perceived flaws of 'Empire.' It really wasn't until it sunk in that 'Jedi' wasn't as good (thanks Ewoks!) that people started re-evaluating their opinions of 'Empire.' Darker and riskier were suddenly cool. And I'm not saying ANY of this because I want to start a phallus measuring contest or because I somehow want to convince anyone that 'Empire' isn't the number one bestest movie ever so shut up dummy. I'm only saying, if 'Empire' had been released in the age of the Internet we would have a very different conversation about it. The ability to communicate easily and often with strangers changes everything. I met one woman recently who is only a casual Star Wars fan (in that she likes the movies, but doesn't indulge in fan stuff) and she was shocked when I mentioned that many people don't like the Ewoks. "They don't? I had no idea." Of course.

There was a huge divide in fan reaction to Empire at the time of its release, not just from letter writers in Starlog but also in the wide fanzine community at the time. Some loved it, some hated it, some didn’t like the direction it took the story or characters. Yeah it was mostly loved then and is a classic now but it’s easy to overlook a whole spectrum of contemporary thought if you’re unaware that it exists.

There was a huge divide in fan reaction to Empire at the time of its release, not just from letter writers in Starlog but also in the wide fanzine community at the time. Some loved it, some hated it, some didn’t like the direction it took the story or characters. Yeah it was mostly loved then and is a classic now but it’s easy to overlook a whole spectrum of contemporary thought if you’re unaware that it exists.

Basically just what has happened with the TLJ.

Basically just what has happened with the TLJ.

Yep! This, exactly. The primary difference now being the Internet. And ironically, despite how connected the Internet makes us, it also feeds into self-reinforcing isolationism. Even within the RPF, the TLJ thread is filled with people who reinforce their hatred, basically just tuning out the opposing viewpoint. Some go so far as to accept personal credit for the poor box office of Solo as retaliation for how much they disliked TLJ (because it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the public just lacking interest in Solo).

But anyway, back to the topic of Bandai... Funny thing is, the struggling with ill-fitting kits has always been my least favorite aspect of model building. It's the reason I have way more unbuilt kits than finished ones, to be honest. My love has always been the finishing and painting of the models. Detailing. Weathering. Telling a story (in my mind) of how it got to be the way it is.

If anything, the engineering genius of the Bandai kits have reinvigorated my excitement about model building.

I think one of my first Bandai kits was the lighted NX-01 from Star Trek. While it was a prepainted snap kit the sheer ingenuity of how it went together was astounding.

Some go so far as to accept personal credit for the poor box office of Solo as retaliation for how much they disliked TLJ (because it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the public just lacking interest in Solo).

I wouldn't be so fast to discount the impact of the boycott or the controversy over TLJ on Solo's box office. I bet most of us know people who intentionally didn't go (or who just downloaded it online) in order to "send a message" to Disney that they were unhappy. I know of a bunch (not that I agree with them). I know others who aren't quite so militant, but who likewise said, "Eh, I felt kinda burned on that last one, so I'll wait for video." That was real. And when you got other people going so far as to make t-shirts mocking the movie (before anyone ever saw it) using alt-right phrases, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths about Star Wars in general. Family members have been telling me, "You Star Wars fans are flippin' nuts." That I agree with.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back