Bandai 1/72 Red Squadron

Had fun getting some more "cinematic" pictures using the Bandai tiles and a Death Star Suitcase as a backdrop. :lol:

The suitcase will eventually be a Christmas present for my nephew

Red 5

IMG_6372 (2).JPG

Red Leader

IMG_6371 (2).JPG

IMG_6370 (2).JPG

Red 3

IMG_6369 (2).JPG

IMG_6368 (2).JPG

IMG_6367 (2).JPG

Red 4
IMG_6365 (2).JPG

IMG_6364 (2).JPG

Red 12
IMG_6360 (2).JPG

Red 6

IMG_6343 (2).JPG
IMG_6341 (2).JPG

Red 2
IMG_6359 (2).JPG

Red 10

IMG_6360 (2).JPG

and Red Leader again
IMG_6354 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Managed to get some better color balanced pictures, but still having a hard time capturing the in person look
Another thing these pictures really bring out is how bad the gaps actually are on the different molded in color snap fit sections. Later on in the process for Red 2 and Red 12 I finally learned to fill those seams. I am really tempted to try fixing some of the others.
The other thing that really bugs me gap wise is the cockpit canopy. Huge gaps

IMG_6395 (3).JPG

IMG_6395 (2).JPG

You can see the mustache
IMG_6412 (2).JPG

IMG_6396 (3).JPG

IMG_6406 (2).JPG

IMG_6402 (2).JPG

and the other sides
IMG_6403 (2).JPG

IMG_6397 (3).JPG

IMG_6408 (2).JPG

IMG_6410 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff. Love seeing the whole fleet.
One question . . . you mentioned back at the beginning about how the kit provides the short engine can, the longer/shorter noses, and the ability to flip that back piece to point up or down. . . .
Which X-Wings had which configuration? The instructions say to use "Pattern A" for Luke, and Pattern B for the rest, but . . . that doesn't seem to be correct.
Would you be able to list out which one has which configs???

One question . . . you mentioned back at the beginning about how the kit provides the short engine can, the longer/shorter noses, and the ability to flip that back piece to point up or down. . . .
Which X-Wings had which configuration? The instructions say to use "Pattern A" for Luke, and Pattern B for the rest, but . . . that doesn't seem to be correct.
Each x-wing studio model was slightly different from each other.
Mostly, these differences were the ‘Saturn Cans’, engine nozzles, and the F4 Phantom engines.
The nose cones were all different too, but that was more of a result of them being individually sanded, probably by different people building them.
At 1/72 scale, many of the subtle differences would be difficult to distinguish, but there ARE quite a few things that will stand out.

Red2 (Blue1) was the first x-wing model made, and the most different from the rest of the studio models.

I would encourage you to read the ‘x-wing’ threads over on the Studio Scale section. I believe it’s a ‘sticky’ at the top of the first page with a grouping of them together.
A lot of great information over there, as well as a lot of awesome builds.

Well from what I can tell (and after trying to read through all the x-wing posts last night . . . and going over photos, about the best I can find (for easy mods to make to the Bandai kits), is:
It looks to me like all 4 of 0Red 2's engine cans 4 shorter.
The one short can on Red 5 seems to have been done AFTER filming ANH.
The back plug, with it being removable, just seems to be up or down depending on the day. :)
The two different noses though . . I'm having trouble figuring out which ones were longer still though.

I may be wrong, and this is probably just over simplifying things, but from what I remember is that Luke's nose cone is the most different, and all the other X-Wings get the other one (I think there may have been more differences, but with what Bandai has in the kit, that is the way to go)

RIght or wrong, I went with Bandai's recommendation of using the one Nose for Red 5 and the other for all other X-Wings, as well as the orientation of the hatch cover in the back

as far as the short engine nozzle, only Red 3 has that one here...

Red 3 - IMG_6410 (2)_LI.jpg

also, the engine can details had differences as well as some other surface details across many of the X-Wings. There are actually a lot of differences, things like the raised chip details and there are also the hero vs pyro differences etc..
Although, many of them I would consider minor in terms of the overall look. Stuff normal non-obssessed people would never notice until pointed out (or until you try painting things accurately and realize when looking close at where stripes and markings and stuff go, the details are different) :lol:

I think the only one I bothered trying to change the engine can configuration was for Red 3

The long strip on the can is generally on the left (port side) like on this Bandai 1/48 Red 5
46304378561_f322b2ddce_o.jpg

On Red 3, it looks like they were reversed, that long strip is on the (right) starboard side and the other one has no strip

You can see here
kg-lucasfilm_archived-red3-reference-218.jpg

For my Red 3, I did make that swap
IMG_4641 (2).JPG

I did not bother with this change, but technically for Red 4, from what I can tell, there is no strip on any of the engine cans and the details are more like the left side one on Red 5

18111181_1473656972709535_1276814396_o.jpg

18111300_1473656992709533_1658460944_o.jpg

Each x-wing studio model was slightly different from each other.
Mostly, these differences were the ‘Saturn Cans’, engine nozzles, and the F4 Phantom engines.
The nose cones were all different too, but that was more of a result of them being individually sanded, probably by different people building them.
At 1/72 scale, many of the subtle differences would be difficult to distinguish, but there ARE quite a few things that will stand out.

Red2 (Blue1) was the first x-wing model made, and the most different from the rest of the studio models.

I would encourage you to read the ‘x-wing’ threads over on the Studio Scale section. I believe it’s a ‘sticky’ at the top of the first page with a grouping of them together.
A lot of great information over there, as well as a lot of awesome builds.

Missed this response as I was busy typing one up, but this is basically where I did some research

The one short can on Red 5 seems to have been done AFTER filming ANH.

I believe Red 3 not 5, but yes, speculation is it may have been after filming

although sometimes hasty repairs/changes were made to the models during filming as well, especially as things broke

for example, Gold Leader had more weathering added after the well known pictures documenting it were taken (the ones that appear in Chronicles etc...)

And the hatch cover does seem to be haphazard and may have changed orientation many times as it was removable so they could add the rear mount when needed

Likewise, even the droids were sometimes changed as well

In the end, I would recommend going with what you like best

I did not bother with this change, but technically for Red 4, from what I can tell, there is no strip on any of the engine cans and the details are more like the left side one on Red 5
Beautiful work on all of them! But there is a very faint stripe around (at least the top ones) the cans on Red 4 in the picture you provided. It's faint, but the color variation is there.

I may be wrong, and this is probably just over simplifying things, but from what I remember is that Luke's nose cone is the most different, and all the other X-Wings get the other one (I think there may have been more differences, but with what Bandai has in the kit, that is the way to go)
My personal opinion is that Red3’s nose (hero model) is the most different.
I used to have a pic that compared several of the x-wing noses, but I can’t find it at the moment.

This one is of Red3 Hero. The back end of the nose on the fuselage bottom is squared off. Different than the rest.
C6D3E37E-3D19-4A53-B3E6-0EED68B39022.jpeg

Analyzer

I really like all your builds. Red4 is especially nice. Awesome job!!!

I’ve always been fascinated with that ship for some reason.
I did one in studio scale, with the thought process of..’what If Red4 was built as a Hero model’.

I just moved into a new house, so I haven’t set up my display yet, but my ‘hero’Red4 is on the front left in this pic.
274D8E54-C790-4AD0-A33E-3DD62A33BB2E.jpeg

Analyzer

I really like all your builds. Red4 is especially nice. Awesome job!!!

I’ve always been fascinated with that ship for some reason.
I did one in studio scale, with the thought process of..’what If Red4 was built as a Hero model’.

I just moved into a new house, so I haven’t set up my display yet, but my ‘hero’Red4 is on the front left in this pic. View attachment 1513703

Wow, those are fantastic!

I'd love to do larger scale one, especially ones that do not have to over exaggerated width of the Bandai panels and the gaps caused by the breakdown of the fuselage to accommodate molded in color parts. I realize the lines are exaggerated so they show up in such small scale, but when zooming in really close like some of these pics, they are way out of scale

Studio Scale is out of my league price wise but would really make an excellent size canvas for painting

I am hoping maybe Round winds up doing a new tooled more accurate 1/48 version or larger. The Bandai one is too expensive and hard to find at the appropriate MSRP and the Revell 1/30 or so one is a great size and price, but needs so much work it is not worth it

and Red 4 is also one of my favorites for some reason followed by Red 6 and Red 2.

My personal opinion is that Red3’s nose (hero model) is the most different.
I used to have a pic that compared several of the x-wing noses, but I can’t find it at the moment.

This one is of Red3 Hero. The back end of the nose on the fuselage bottom is squared off. Different than the rest.View attachment 1513700

ah yes, I forgot about that. I knew one of them apart from Red 5 also had a rather unique nose, but couldn't remember which one

Beautiful work on all of them! But there is a very faint stripe around (at least the top ones) the cans on Red 4 in the picture you provided. It's faint, but the color variation is there.

Where the raised styrene strip is down the length of the can, there does appear to be a whiter area, but I wasn't sure if that was an attempt to "paint" in the strip or just happened to be exhaust streaks that create the strip appearance. Hard to tell from those pics.

also I was not 100% sure if the raised strips aren't actually there, or they just got washed out in the light

I treated them as exhaust streaks, this pic is a bit fuzzy, but I think it highlights the attempt at it good enough

IMG_4665 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Don't know where you currently stood on Y-Wings, but Amazon has a Bandai up for about fifty bucks right now...

Thanks for the heads up! although it is $23.99 for delivery as well. Just a bit more than I am willing to spend considering I already had 3. If was looking for my first one though, I probably would jump on it

I have a pre-order in with BBTS and SureThingToys so hopefully when Bandai re-pops them they will get filled

Plus I still have a Revell kit and a Fine Molds I can turn into one of the Red Y-Wings if needed

Very Nice, Love the detail super work My Friend
Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back