Bandai 1/144 Snowspeeder with canopy detail set and AT-ST

in-progress.jpg

Somewhat simplified cockpits, for 1:144 printing. In progress.

He doesn't have them available yet... Trust me, I've been keeping an eye on his store...lol... Age of Plastic on Shapeways... I'm following his and 308bits...

Yeah, same here I have his Shapeways store bookmarked :)

I was looking for them at imaterialise.com since he mentioned that site

That service does seem more expensive than Shapeways. Not sure if it is better, or just different. Never got anything from there

Yes sorry - I perhaps wasn’t specific enough! I’m developing this design. It needs test prints to determine if the sizes are correct, and that takes ages!

I don’t use imaterialise at all, but I’d love to see other services that provide decent quality printing along with maintaining a storefront as well.

Yes sorry - I perhaps wasn’t specific enough! I’m developing this design. It needs test prints to determine if the sizes are correct, and that takes ages!

I don’t use imaterialise at all, but I’d love to see other services that provide decent quality printing along with maintaining a storefront as well.

Thanks for the info!

It would be nice to have more choices than Shapeways!

I picked up some troops and a gun turret.

I am hoping to do a diorama of that scene where the speeders go whizzing by over the trenches

The troop set is amazing, there are 15 in the set and all are slightly different poses which is nice.

Also the details on them are amazing (although the gun barrels are extremely small and fragile and must be handled with care)

I quickly painted up a few to test out colors and experiment with white primed vs grey primed. No real difference in the end, but it take less painting, washing and highlighting to paint the grey primed ones
IMG_8758 (2).JPG

I had a pair of F-Toys speeders. The are just tiny bit larger than the Bandai one, but should not be noticeable. Although the shape is a bit different and the canopys are noticeably different.

I am going to need to pick up some more Bandai speeders and the canopy upgrades

IMG_8761 (2).JPG

And some the Bandai AT-AT and AT-ST for size comparison

IMG_8765 (3).JPG

IMG_8553.JPG

Fantastic paintwork! You'd think those were models twice their size. Who did the troops? They're quite well done.

Fantastic paintwork! You'd think those were models twice their size. Who did the troops? They're quite well done.

Yes, they are very detailed for their size without being over exaggerated for their scale
holden8702
Panzer VS Tanks 4 by HOLDEN8702T4 - Shapeways Shops

I also got this message after ordering a set

"Now I'm also producing models on my own. No more oil cleaning, no more cages, no more big costs.

Take a look on my Facebook about details. Thanks and best regards"

Luis Holden8702

Although your snowspeeder pilots were quite good as well:)

Ah, that guy. His ads are vaguely disturbing for some reason, but he does excellent figurines. I think the key thing about them isn't just that they're detailed, but they convey the sense of a living person pretty well. It's really tough to make a plastic figurine that doesn't look like a tiny mannequin.

Massive improvement. One tip, it's an oldy and often used in car scale modelling: scrape the sides of the steering flaps. That way they are in scale and look even more convincing.

Ah, that guy. His ads are vaguely disturbing for some reason, but he does excellent figurines. I think the key thing about them isn't just that they're detailed, but they convey the sense of a living person pretty well. It's really tough to make a plastic figurine that doesn't look like a tiny mannequin.

Yes they do look quite natural

Massive improvement. One tip, it's an oldy and often used in car scale modelling: scrape the sides of the steering flaps. That way they are in scale and look even more convincing.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I didn't notice it before, but I agree it would make a difference.

I will try that on the next one I do since I am planning on doing 3 or 4 more

My only concern would be the Shapeways material and if it being to brittle will cause a problem. I can always test on the one from the other side I have that I didn't use

You can slice and saw Shapeways plastic if you want. However, it is definitely brittle. For that reason I only recommend using the finest-tooth razor saws (ie: JLC saws, not X-Acto razor saws), and use the sharpest knives but only in a whittling motion.

However, in the case of the flaps I wouldn't use those techniques as you don't have enough control for such fine detail. Careful filing down the leading edge with a flat needle file is your best bet. The parts can withstand a bit of that, no problem. They're as thick as they are simply because any thinner and they get rejected by Shapeways' rules for print thicknesses.

Here's some info I've written on the topic:

Getting Started with 3D Prints - The Age of Plastic

I picked up some troops and a gun turret.
I am hoping to do a diorama of that scene where the speeders go whizzing by over the trenches

"Right with you boss"

IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1047.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg

Attachments

• 56832968338__189DAEAB-0624-4834-8AEC-D61F2384D523.JPG
    56832968338__189DAEAB-0624-4834-8AEC-D61F2384D523.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
You can slice and saw Shapeways plastic if you want. However, it is definitely brittle. For that reason I only recommend using the finest-tooth razor saws (ie: JLC saws, not X-Acto razor saws), and use the sharpest knives but only in a whittling motion.

However, in the case of the flaps I wouldn't use those techniques as you don't have enough control for such fine detail. Careful filing down the leading edge with a flat needle file is your best bet. The parts can withstand a bit of that, no problem. They're as thick as they are simply because any thinner and they get rejected by Shapeways' rules for print thicknesses.

Here's some info I've written on the topic:

Getting Started with 3D Prints - The Age of Plastic

I figured they were the thickness they were due to limitations. When getting that small in scale you have to make some compromises

"Right with you boss"

yes, that is the scene I am shooting for :)

Are those the 1/48 version of the figures, or are those some other kind?

I was going to use the Star Wars Legion stuff for 1/48 since it was pretty close to 1/48 (these aren't mine)

1-4-FD-Laser-Cannon-Main-Star-Wars-Legion.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back