1/72 & 1/144 Bandai X-Wing Red 5 *Complete*

Saw your Falcon on the other thread. Nice job on that. Rattle cans, brushes, and decals. That's the extent of my decoration skills at the moment. Looking into learning to airbrush. What airbrush set up did you get?

Saw your Falcon on the other thread. Nice job on that. Rattle cans, brushes, and decals. That's the extent of my decoration skills at the moment. Looking into learning to airbrush. What airbrush set up did you get?

It's a very cheap knock off of an Iwata HP-C. There are definitely some frustrations with it. You have to be very careful of nozzle o-ring air leaks and the trigger has a tendency to stick if not cleaned meticulously, but it's not half bad for the price. I have a little contractors pancake compressor that's noisy as hell, but it works.

Here's a link to the airbrush on Amazon:

I'm probably going to upgrade in the near future, the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution looks like a fantastic gun that, while not inexpensive, isn't up in nosebleed territory (at least for me, YMMV). They make a nice set with two needle/nozzle sets (.2mm & .4mm), two paint cups 2ml & 5ml, and the paint flow control handle (that lets you dial in a maximum flow setting on the trigger).

This set is about $200, but the basic model is about half that.

If I was a beginner, I'd probably start with a decent airbrush from the beginning, the quirks of a cheap gun can lead to a lot of frustration while you're learning. Also don't forget that you'll need a hose, regulator and filter, and possibly some miscellaneous fittings depending on exactly what you buy.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I have been following you around on sites. Haha! I have picked up on the same "be careful" warning as you mentioned. Same deal on compressors. Likely get one with a tank so at least it shuts off for short periods. The official Iwata HP-C is one that I've had my eye on. The other is the Badger Patriot as a good starter gun. Want to get two nozzle sizes (in the 0.25 to 0.5ish range) so the Evolution set is also a consideration.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I have been following you around on sites. Haha! I have picked up on the same "be careful" warning as you mentioned. Same deal on compressors. Likely get one with a tank so at least it shuts off for short periods. The official Iwata HP-C is one that I've had my eye on. The other is the Badger Patriot as a good starter gun. Want to get two nozzle sizes (in the 0.25 to 0.5ish range) so the Evolution set is also a consideration.
From my research the Evolution has some pretty innovative features, especially in the nozzle design that makes it self centering and should make it much nicer to clean and operate. Also current versions use all PTFE (Teflon) seals that are much more durable and resistant to solvents, which is a good thing since I've taken to Mr. Color lacquers since getting back into modeling and rubber will have issues with the solvents sooner or later.

I have a 6gal Porter Cable pancake compressor, and if I fill it up in the morning I can shut it off and I can paint all day on that one tank. Really nice to have a quiet space while in the zone, you know?

SB

EDIT: I usually am painting at anywhere from 15-20 psi, depending on the paint.

Last edited:
I have a 6gal Porter Cable pancake compressor, and if I fill it up in the morning I can shut it off and I can paint all day on that one tank. Really nice to have a quiet space while in the zone, you know?

SB

EDIT: I usually am painting at anywhere from 15-20 psi, depending on the paint.
Yeah, that sounds nice. ...silence is a sound. At lest the sound of it is a good song. :p :rolleyes:
Do you charge it all they way up to 150 psi in order to paint all day?

Really enjoyable looking through your work mate.
You did an absolute fantastic job on that 1/72 Xwing. Builds like this give the rest of us a quality to aspire to! And I have my own build coming up soon so this really helps.

A tip I really found helped with the pre shading... unless a dark subject find a colour other than black. On my Millennium Falcon I used German grey over light grey primer meaning I only needed one very light coat of colour to get effective coverage. You achieve the same result but less build and less paint usage is always a plus!

As for airbrushes I bought a Neo by Iwata after I got a bit frustrated with my old Iwata and really can't spruik it enough, it has a grip and trigger and makes control sooo much easier.
Cheers,
Josh

Really enjoyable looking through your work mate.
You did an absolute fantastic job on that 1/72 Xwing. Builds like this give the rest of us a quality to aspire to! And I have my own build coming up soon so this really helps.

A tip I really found helped with the pre shading... unless a dark subject find a colour other than black. On my Millennium Falcon I used German grey over light grey primer meaning I only needed one very light coat of colour to get effective coverage. You achieve the same result but less build and less paint usage is always a plus!

As for airbrushes I bought a Neo by Iwata after I got a bit frustrated with my old Iwata and really can't spruik it enough, it has a grip and trigger and makes control sooo much easier.
Cheers,
Josh
I'll check out the Neo a little more closely.

I've got the base colors sprayed on the 1/144 model. I'm going to let it cure a bit, then spray a coat of clear, then weathering. I'll paint the canopy glass and R-2 after weathering.

20210327_135303.jpg

20210327_135248.jpg

20210327_135312.jpg

I'm calling the 1/144 done too. One of the nice things about the small models is that the weathering goes really quickly. I'll probably let it sit for a few days and take a fresh look with a critical eye to see if I want to touch anything up. One thing I'll definitely havt to come back to is the lower port laser canon, I snapped the tip off and didn't get it aligned correctly when I glued it back together. They're super delicate and if I try now, I'll just make it worse.

20210327_202949.jpg

20210327_203008.jpg

20210327_203020.jpg

20210327_203053.jpg

With big brother:
20210327_203145.jpg

With my 1/144 Falcon:
20210327_203256.jpg

And with the T-70's that brought me back into modeling:
20210327_203505.jpg

We're both members in a Facebook model group and I saw pics of your X-wing and you were gracious enough to give me detailed info on your paint procedure, but I'm glad I saw it here to get even more info on preshading.

Beautiful work...one of the best I've seen in a long while.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back