Bandai 1/144 Snowspeeder with canopy detail set and AT-ST

Analyzer

Master Member
There is an amazing canopy set on shapweways for the 1/144 Snowspeeder. The fit was prefect, although it does take some careful cutting for the cockpit tub and the flaps.

You have to cut away a lot of the snap support for the existing canopy as well as the part for the flaps, best using a jewelers saw to cut out the main parts, but not quite cutting up to the edge, then clean up with an x-acto and files
The fit is so perfect, it doesn't even need glue. Also the details are quite impressive
IMG_8018.JPG IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8012.JPG

Thanks for looking. Any comments and criticism welcome.

IMG_8082 (2).JPG

IMG_8083 (2).JPG

IMG_8084 (2).JPG

IMG_8085 (2).JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_8087 (2).JPG

IMG_8065 (2).JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

And this is closer to what it looks like not zoomed way in showing all the messy flaws :)

IMG_8079 (2).JPG

IMG_8068 (2).JPG

IMG_8079 (2).JPG

IMG_8083 (2).JPG

IMG_8084 (2).JPG

IMG_8085 (2).JPG

IMG_8087 (2).JPG

IMG_8065 (2).JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

Last edited:
It look like he entangled in his own tow cable... wait that's just a hair. :D

Nice work. If I ever get around to building this, I need to look in to the Shapeways add-on.

It look like he entangled in his own tow cable... wait that's just a hair. :D

Nice work. If I ever get around to building this, I need to look in to the Shapeways add-on.

whoops :lol:

Thanks! The Shapeways add n is worth it. It really adds a lot

thanks!

(although I am not sure why all the pictures are showing up twice. I've tried several times removing them and it does not seem to make a difference

Thanks for the kind words. :) I started work on the X-wing canopy and cockpit, but it's on hold for now as getting the geometry 100% correct is a huge pain at 1:144...

1/72 Cloud City Diorama with PG Falcon and FM Slave 1

Hopefully it works out, I'd even take the cockpit tub sans canopy and either cut out the windows on the Bandai, or scratch one or a bit of both. I was actually considering cutting apart one of the Snowspeeder ones to get the pilot/seat

Also your rebellious spaceship in two parts for lighting is brilliant. I picked up ones of those a while ago for in anticipation for when I get around to building the Zvedza Star Destroyer.

I've got my eye on a bunch of the 1/72 hangar stuff

Hopefully it works out, I'd even take the cockpit tub sans canopy and either cut out the windows on the Bandai, or scratch one or a bit of both. I was actually considering cutting apart one of the Snowspeeder ones to get the pilot/seat

Also your rebellious spaceship in two parts for lighting is brilliant. I picked up ones of those a while ago for in anticipation for when I get around to building the Zvedza Star Destroyer.

I've got my eye on a bunch of the 1/72 hangar stuff

Seconded! I've been on to NKG about 144 scale cockpits, too.

I've already cut out my Y-Wing windows in preparation for a scratch build if necessary...

406B11E8-4778-4696-B464-6861A96A5EA4.jpeg

It's tough. It was expensive before, but Shapeways' price increases make it really difficult to do test prints.

I've just updated the X-wing canopy design. But just to do a test print to see if it works will cost me almost £14! So I have to sell a whole ton of the damn things simply to break even from the test prints.

I've said this before, but designing 3D-printed Star Wars add-on plastic pieces is not the road to riches, folks! :\

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 21.03.41.png

It'd help, except for the final verification print. Though affordable resin printers always include supports, which means small models are tricky to test. Also, I can't justify the expense of a printer and I'd certainly not make back the investment. :)

It's tough. It was expensive before, but Shapeways' price increases make it really difficult to do test prints.

I've just updated the X-wing canopy design. But just to do a test print to see if it works will cost me almost £14! So I have to sell a whole ton of the damn things simply to break even from the test prints.

I've said this before, but designing 3D-printed Star Wars add-on plastic pieces is not the road to riches, folks! :\

It'd help, except for the final verification print. Though affordable resin printers always include supports, which means small models are tricky to test. Also, I can't justify the expense of a printer and I'd certainly not make back the investment. :)

That's kind of a bummer. You would think there would be a better way for designers to test out their stuff on Shapeways, especially since you are basically making them money once you release things for public printing

Yes. I’ve argued that they should have a discounted price for designers doing tests. To avoid abuse it’d be easy - you’d only get a discount or refund when the design in question gets bought by one or two people.

Yes. I’ve argued that they should have a discounted price for designers doing tests. To avoid abuse it’d be easy - you’d only get a discount or refund when the design in question gets bought by one or two people.

That sounds totally reasonable and I am kind of surprised they didn't already do something like that.

Incidentally, I uploaded my X-wing cockpit design to imaterialise.com. They wanted £24 for the print before shipping, compared to about £7 before shipping for Shapeways.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back