BAD movies with GOOD scores...

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I feel a good score can sometimes make or break a movie.
Non-score fans will not immediately pick up on music but would certainly notice it if it were poor or not there at all.
Great music is like another character in the story.
Sometimes we get a movie that is not very good - be it directing, acting, story, script, etc...
But what about those 'bad' movies that actually has a really good score?

The first movie that pops into my mind is "The Phantom Menace".
People always talk about how much they loath this movie but I seldom hear anyone mention how well John Williams pulled together a gorgeous score for the film. It is actually one of the few really good things about this movie.

What other movies do you feel missed the mark in all areas except the music?

First one that occurs to me is "Raise the Titanic". The film is quite ridiculous (and the novel is even worse) but John Barry's score is wonderful and the main theme has so much heart and grandeur in it. Another aspect that stands out in this film is it's amazing model work. The shots of the Titanic's bow breaking the surface and the ship rising up out of the depths is some of the mose impressive miniature work I've ever seen.

Pirates of The Caribbean - At World's End

Ambivalent feelings with the movie but I have the score at home and I really like it.

The first movie that pops into my mind is "The Phantom Menace". People always talk about how much they loath this movie but I seldom hear anyone mention how well John Williams pulled together a gorgeous score for the film. It is actually one of the few really good things about this movie.

I do not agree with this. TPM is a terrible movie and I think one of Williams least inspiring. Williams' scores usually outshine a not so good movie.

Look at Jaws 2. That movie isn't particularly that good, but Williams' score for it is even better and more memorable than Jaws. The same goes for The Lost World. Some really great pieces of music for a terrible film.

The only good piece of music from TPM is Duel of the Fates. To me, the score is more atmospheric background and not the intriguing, lead up to things moments that Williams usually does.

And don't think I'm saying it cause I'm a prequel hater. I honestly don't think it's that great of a score - I only listened to the Ultimate Edition 2CD version once. Unlike the scores for AOTC and ROTS - I wish there were 2CD versions of these.

Pirates of The Caribbean - At World's End

Ambivalent feelings with the movie but I have the score at home and I really like it.

Also POTC4 - Blackbeard's Theme is just awesome (as is the ship). But the movie was a bore.

Dig up the old thread on the rebuilding of the Black Pearl into QAR, and listen to the theme while running through the pictures in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0b844V_qW8

http://www.therpf.com/f47/former-bl...-26-10-update-spoiler-alert-83920/index9.html

Last edited:
First one that occurs to me is "Raise the Titanic". The film is quite ridiculous (and the novel is even worse) but John Barry's score is wonderful and the main theme has so much heart and grandeur in it. Another aspect that stands out in this film is it's amazing model work. The shots of the Titanic's bow breaking the surface and the ship rising up out of the depths is some of the mose impressive miniature work I've ever seen.

Yes, to Obi-Wan you must listen...

Original 1980 Trailer For RAISE THE TITANIC - YouTube

Great to see Sir Alec at work again!

Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek V... both done by Jerry Goldsmith. He was in fact, so upset at how bad Star Trek V was that he refused to score Star Trek VI.

Tree of Life.

Beautifully filmed and very moving soundtrack, but just the most senseless film I've ever seen.

Battle Beyond the Stars. It's one of my favorite soundtracks, but it annoys me that I've heard some variation of it in nearly every James Horner-scored movie since.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back