Azumi’s Mug from Netflix’s Maniac

QuinnPrime

I searched pretty extensively here, and haven’t seen any results, so thought I would ask for help. I’m trying to identify the font used on Azumi’s mug in Netflix’s Maniac, that reads, “I can read your mind and you should be ashamed of yourself”. It’s not a complicated or particularly esoteric font, but no one has gotten it right, and possibly because it’s so simple, it’s difficult to identify exactly the right one. There’s some discussion of the mug on Reddit, and elsewhere online. Of course there are a couple of versions of the mug available on sites like etsy, but none of them is really screen accurate, and some of them are frankly terrible. As an aside, she’s also holding the mug in her left hand, and every single version one can buy has the text (in innacurate font) on the side facing out when held in the right hand.

A friend of mine suggested that the font is similar to Impact, but it’s similar to a lot of fonts. It isn’t Impact, because it’s slightly wider/flatter, the center point on the M doesn’t meet the bottom of the legs, and the right leg of the R is not curved. I believe it’s a monospace font.

Are there any typography gurus who can identify this elusive font? If I can’t track it down, or it turns out to be custom, I’ll just replicate it in Illustrator. But I would rather just have the true, actual font used for the design if I can find it. I realize this is an extreme attention to detail, bordering on absurd, but I want my mug to be as absolutely screen-accurate as humanly possible, haha!:)

I took some screen-caps and did a very quick, very rough enhancement in photoshop to make it just a bit clearer. It’s so small on screen, that even at 1080p, a photo of my ipad screen ends up being higher resolution than an actual screen-cap, so I did that as well.

If anyone has any leads, please let me know!
Thanks!

Gill Sans Ultra Bold, I think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 8.52.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 8.52.16 PM.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 124
Gill Sans Ultra Bold, I think.

Holy Moly! I did not think it would be found this fast! I definitely think you got it!!!

The most telling elements are the C, M, and R. I thought from the screen-caps that the Rs were completely straight, but the minimal curve seen in the version you posted looks like a match.

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you, Mike! Amazing!

I’m pretty sure that I’ve identified the mug as the Tuxton BEM-1202. It’s just a standard “C mug”, but with subtle shape and color characteristics. Offerings on etsy, redbubble, etc. just use a generic white mug. The one in the show has a very slightly rounded bottom edge, and is definitely not pure white. It’s what I just recently learned is referred to as “American white”, or “ivory”. I’m trying to see if I can find a place to buy just one of these mugs; they seem to only be available in bulk. I considered getting it printed, but most places either have the wrong mug, the wrong color, or a minimum order of 30-some mugs, which I’m definitely not doing right now.

If anyone has a lead on just one of these mugs reasonably priced, or a customization place that has no minimum order and offers this particular mug, I would appreciate the info! Otherwise I might hold off on this one.

I definitely want a screen-accurate one of these, but I’m focusing on my Expanse project right now. So I might have to come back to this at a later date.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back