Atlantean Control Chaair From Sg1 and SGA

stefanchik

Hi Folks

So here she is,

Delivered today, and weighing about 200 Kilo's

I can truthfully tell you that no picture on the internet does this baby justice,
And only when you see her with your own eyes do you really see the astonishing detail that went into designing and then making her

She is 1 million % an exquisite work of art

Absolutely there is no doubt that the Stargate Props and Set Dec people put their heart and soul into the stuff they designed and built for us all to see on the show and appreciate
-- I raised my glass to them earlier this evening and gave them all a toast, for without these visionaries and artists and builders, we would have nothing

https://www.facebook.com/StargatePr...95585392/327775224100068/?type=1&notif_t=like

Zenon 2.jpg

Stefan

Not really, technically everything used in a production is a prop by the strictest definition (prop = property, anything the studio actually owns). Thus, technically, all set dec is also a prop.

For the sake of separating 'prop' from 'set dec' though, set dec would be anything that permanently part of a set. Things like chairs, tables, doors, carpet, etc are all set dec. That's what this would fall under.

Not really, technically everything used in a production is a prop by the strictest definition (prop = property, anything the studio actually owns). Thus, technically, all set dec is also a prop.

For the sake of separating 'prop' from 'set dec' though, set dec would be anything that permanently part of a set. Things like chairs, tables, doors, carpet, etc are all set dec. That's what this would fall under.

I talked to my buddy, who did the set dec on Stargate and this was the definition he gave me.

But it doesn't make any sense... 'Prop' means 'Property'. Anything that is actually owned by the studio is their Property, thus a prop, by definition.

Set Dec means 'Set decoration'- i.e., anything use to decorate a set. Does the door to a bedroom of the set suddenly become a 'prop' (implying some new definition of what it is) because an actor touched it? What about the carpet after they walked on it? What if they lean against the 'background decoration' of the set, is that now a prop? I think he was just trying to come up with a way to describe parts of the set that the actors really interacted with, and a lot of the terminology used for props/set dec/hero/stunt/etc all get seemingly mis-used and re-defined by every new person that uses them, even within the studios themselves. :)

If all your buddy did was set dec, then _everything_ he worked with was 'Set Dec', and still is. But it's still just a subset of the studio's property (i.e., props). The wardrobe the actors were wearing are also 'props' since it's the studios property. _Everything_ used in making the show/film/etc is a prop (if the studio owns it), then there's sub categories: wardrobe for clothes, set dec for everything that makes up the set itself, 'hand props' is the more common term for what we consider 'props' like weapons, trinkets, things the actors are likely to carry around.

All of this is determined and defined _before_ any shooting even takes place. There is no unique distinction given to a prop (in any category) based on whether it was touched by an actor or not. You can certainly add that information to the details of the item as it can affect it's after-market value, but studios don't care about that during filming so it's not something they create terms for. The studios only track who worked with what for continuity.

I am beginning to think it's a prop. Because unlike doors, carpet, wall etc it was moved around in stargate. It was usual in Atlantis but in the second to last episode "vegas" it was moved to area 51. Meaning it's not set dec, it's a prop. And it was clearly made by the props department and not the set decoration department.

Yes it's moveable, but with a weight of around 200 kilo's, maybe more (took 3 very strong guys to lift her) then it doesn't really for me fall into the "hand props" category.
- and for me is part of the Stargate Set
- however it can be a very grey area at times. As for example the SGU Destiny Lamps, they were portable and were certainly picked up in the show. But they were classified as set dec and were made by the "set dec dep't" as opposed to the hand props dep't

- I guess that somewhere there is a definition along the lines of
- if it's primary purpose is to allow the audience to visualise a setting then the item falls into set dec.
- both the Atlantis chair and the SGU lamps would hence fall under such a category

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back