AT-ST ESB

dirtydave

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First off I would like to thank everyone involved in the research/IDing of the AT-ST.I would also like to thank Mars for doing this armature run & a big thanks to Jason for providing the ref pictures.

This is my first SS scratch build & will be a slow build.I would greatly appreciate any help/info you guys can give me along the way.

I didn't glue any parts yet,just tacked in place.

View attachment 132285
View attachment 132286
View attachment 132287
View attachment 132288

I'm pretty sure these parts from the Lotus MKIII are used under the B 29 part?Can any one comfirm this.

View attachment 132289

This is a rough go on how I'm thinking to attach the feet to the armature.I'll glue a magnet under the DV tie foot part.

View attachment 132290

Dave

Dude this is off to a great start! Im pretty sure the Lotus parts are correct. We should tackle the inner left thigh part and the flat part under the Plastruct lamp.

Joe

Nice to see another chicken build,sweet:)
Ive purchased Mars's alloy armature,love it so much! I was thinking about acrylic laser cut the armature to replace the alloy on my build,just thinking,I know Im a nut LOL:behave

Acrylic snaps and breaks under stress. I wouldn't recommend it. There's a good reason it was and is aluminum. :)

And PS: I forgot to add those MkIII parts under the b-29 in pics of my build. I added them later when I noticed something was missing under there.

Thanks guys.I'll be trying to build it as close to the reference pictures as I can(less the glue blobs).

Hope to have the feet done this weekend,just have to trim up those MKIII parts.I have the Croc parts for the shins cut,just need some sanding.

I still need to get the AMT flat bed before I cut the C600 rails.Any one know if the '92 or latest release of the flat bed can be used or should I go with the vintage one?

I'm going all kit parts except for the Entex,unless some one would like to donate that part;).I think I have all the kits except for the AMT trailer.

If I get some more done this weekend I'll post some more pic.

Just in case click on the pictures to enlarge.

Dave

Small update.I have the left foot all glued up now.I had a little trouble attaching the B 29 part to the DV hull,so I'll have to fill it before I paint.

View attachment 134812

View attachment 134813

View attachment 134814

View attachment 134815

I'm ready to cut the C-600 & trailer parts but would like some input.On some of the builds I see,it looks like you guys glued the C-600 part to the armature then cut & glued the trailer part to the back of the 600 part.

Now looking at the ref pictures it looks to me that there's a gap between the armature & C-600 part.I'm thinking that they might have cut the trailer part wider & glued the C-600 part on top of the trailer part?What do you guys think.

Dave

Dave, do you have the SW Technical Journal and a scanner? If so, scan that front view pic at about 400dpi. That will provide some remarkable detail about the legs. I think you may be right, but I'd recommend experimenting with some styrene sheet that's the same thickness as the trailer part and compare it to the SW Tech Journal pic. That's one part you DO NOT want to fudge when you finally cut it. And I would know, because I ruined one (that was expensive).

Allan

Hey Allan,Thanks for the info.Unfortunatly I don't have the book,there pretty cheap on ebay so maybe I'll get it.I believe I have the picture your talking about on my computer,but when I enlarge it I lose quality of the picture.

I'll definitely take your advise with useing styrene & taking my time.BTW seeing your awesome build really got me into building one myself,Thanks.

Dave

(from memory).
my c600 parts sit ON TOP of the trailer rails.
i believe i had to cut/sand/chisel some of the ribs on the inside of the c600 (or maybe i have it backwards - i sanded some of the ribs from the outside of the rails?) in order for the two parts to fit together smoothly. also removed the rear lip/edge of the c600 rail so the trailer rail could sit/under.

but i believe in the end i did have the two parts glued ontop of each other (plenty to provide ample glue/contact surface).

(can't provide link since i'm at work - but check my signature and can find my pix via my album).

oh...btw.
getting a tight fit between the b29 part and the DV part wasn't funny/easy.
think i made some pencil marks on the b29 (that represented where the "bumps" were on the DV part and slowly sanded away -- constantly checking fit. also had to chamfer the edge since its sitting on a rounded surface.
your's looks nice.
a little apoxie strategically placed and smoothed can cover that up easily.

Thanks Quincy,Love your build.I'm going to study the ref pics alot more before I make any cuts,as Allan said it could be a pricey mistake.

I've read your thread many times & never realised you had more pictures of your build under your signature,Thanks.

Dave

While waiting for the technical jounal I started to tinker with some parts on the upper leg.I'm having a problem decideing what to do with the Karl part.I see some of you guys are cutting it up to the Gepard part,but the more I look at the ref pictures it looks to me that it's not cut down but sits on top of the Gepard part With the Croc part glued on top of the Karl part.Any body else see what I'm seeing or am I crazy?

Dave

Look at the ref picture: xxx470 (pic of "naked" armature).
Follow the interior face of the Karl part and the Gepard part. They appear to be flush, imo.

The real mind **** is the "lower" Karl -- what the red 312B part sits on. I think Lee left it off. Both Allan and I Frankensteined another TWO Karl parts to make the one part. Its hard to figure what exactly is going on there. The fore area of that leg element is no cakewalk either (when speaking of what sits on what).

I was gonna say the same thing , Q. All I can make out is that the Karl and gepard parts touch and the Croc part sits on the Gepard and slightly on the Karl. Not sure about the 2nd Karl part.

Joe

Hey Q & Joe,I Think I can see what your saying but look at what's bothering me.

In pictures 463,464,437 there's a piece sticking out of the Croc part around the 5 oclock position that lines up perfectly with the Karl part if it was not cut down.Pic 450 shows the Croc part sitting on something.Pic 445,435 looks to me the the Karl is sitting on the Gepard.Pic 441 it looks like the Karl part is not parellel with the armature.I know shadows can play tricks on the eye,but it's what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dave

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back