Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy Fair

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

For the chirp, do you get to flip it open? Does it automatically play the chirp? Are the voices only activated by the button or do they also come when it's flipped open?

Chirp when it's flipped opened, voices by the button. Not sure if you can set it up to play the voice after the chirp.

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

I sent an email to Diamond Select and got the response back earlier today. According to the email the antenna will be metal, and the moire will actually spin.

I sent an email to Diamond Select and got the response back earlier today. According to the email the antenna will be metal, and the moire will actually spin.

If you look close at the one in the pic from the toy fair, the back edge of the lid, you can tell it is metal by the rough edge!!?? though this could still be a prototype!!! Looks metal to me!:love

This is the word I received back today as well. Metal antenna, motorized moire, all for $29.95.

The one I looked at at Toy fair had a moire that looked like it could work but didn't. Weak batteries? One too many happy fans? Same motor that the STE one used? lol

Who knows? They ship soon and I've got my order in. :love

Last edited:

This is getting better all the time! :D

- k

The one I looked at at Toy fair had a moire that looked like it could work but didn't. Weak batteries? One too many happy fans? Same motor that the STE one used?

Did they remember to remove the "Try Me" tab? :love

Actually when you consider that the communicator ships with the antenna grid open, in "Try Me" packaging, of course a working motorized moire would be switched off for transit. Probably in the box it only has a few of the sounds enabled as well.

Likely there's a plastic tab (as in the AA Phaser toy), or an actual sliding switch in the battery compartment (as in the AA starship toys), for selecting between the "Try Me" functions and the full bells & whistles.

And last but not least, since AA/DST wanted to display the comm with the grid open, likely they'd leave the switch in the "Try Me" position to save the batteries.

All very eminently... logical. :D

- k

Last edited:

so when will the tricorder be released?

I asked that as well, but he said that no official info was available. I don't believe it has been approved yet, so I can understand them not wanting to give out pics/info on the off chance it isn't released and then having to deal with a swarm (gaggle? murder?) of angry fans.

I asked that as well, but he said that no official info was available. I don't believe it has been approved yet, so I can understand them not wanting to give out pics/info on the off chance it isn't released and then having to deal with a swarm (gaggle? murder?) of angry fans.

:lol

if the comm uses a quieter motor then the STE one that I've got here, I'll get one to replace it... mine sounds like a vibrator or something lol. I've tried padding it but not managed to shut the thing up yet. Hopefully the speaker will be a little clearer on this too!

Did they remember to remove the "Try Me" tab? :love

Actually when you consider that the communicator ships with the antenna grid open, in "Try Me" packaging, of course a working motorized moire would be switched off for transit. Probably in the box it only has a few of the sounds enabled as well.

Likely there's a plastic tab (as in the AA Phaser toy), or an actual sliding switch in the battery compartment (as in the AA starship toys), for selecting between the "Try Me" functions and the full bells & whistles.

And last but not least, since AA/DST wanted to display the comm with the grid open, likely they'd leave the switch in the "Try Me" position to save the batteries.

All very eminently... logical. :D

- k

Good point, didn't even think of it. It was likely set for try me mode.

You can catch a glimpse of the rear of the WOK phaser to the right of the TOS phaser.

Any pics of the full TWOK phaser? I can't seem to find any. What are the differences between that and the TOS?

thanks

FB

if the comm uses a quieter motor then the STE one that I've got here, I'll get one to replace it... mine sounds like a vibrator or something lol. I've tried padding it but not managed to shut the thing up yet. Hopefully the speaker will be a little clearer on this too!

Without a spinning moire, there won't be a motor.

Any pics of the full TWOK phaser? I can't seem to find any. What are the differences between that and the TOS?

thanks

FB

The Wrath of Khan phaser is almost a completely different phaser from TOS.

star_trek_phaser.jpg

180px-Phaser-twok.jpg

Without a spinning moire, there won't be a motor.

spocknv9.gif
Quick note: reading the previous page is helpful in discussions, especially when two members (including myself) have received emails directly from Diamond Select indicating there will be a spinning moire.

:p

I'm so damned excited about this. The only Trek prop I own is a Boomerang Phaser so I've been having a craving for Trek items.

It's a VERY BIG YEAR for Trek props, what with the AA Communicator, Tricorder and WOK phaser, and also the Master Replicas Trek 5/6 Assault Phaser, and Voyager/First Contact style Mark IX Tricorder!

If the AA/DST WOK Phaser toy is based off of the HMS prop replica, it should be really nice. Right now you can get from Roddenberry.com, a prop kit from HMS which can be built up as either the "Motion Picture" version or the "Wrath of Khan" version

hmsbuiltqq7.jpg

This is the actual prop at the time of TMP... kind of beat up (you can see tape holding it together!)

tmpphaserscreenusedjl7.jpg

tmpphaserstcommmagrr2.jpg

Modified for WOK... with the monochrome top controls decal, same colored lights, holofoil strip along the side between the "rails", and the trigger built out into a short cylinder.

wokphasercloseuptk5.jpg

Actual prop in the Sci Fi Xperience Seattle museum.

wok01enhjw7.jpg

- k

It's a VERY BIG YEAR for Trek props, what with the AA Communicator, Tricorder and WOK phaser, and also the Master Replicas Trek 5/6 Assault Phaser, and Voyager/First Contact style Mark IX Tricorder!

If the AA/DST WOK Phaser toy is based off of the HMS prop replica, it should be really nice. Right now you can get from Roddenberry.com, a prop kit from HMS which can be built up as either the "Motion Picture" version or the "Wrath of Khan" version

hmsbuiltqq7.jpg

This is the actual prop at the time of TMP... kind of beat up (you can see tape holding it together!)

tmpphaserscreenusedjl7.jpg

tmpphaserstcommmagrr2.jpg

Modified for WOK... with the monochrome top controls decal, same colored lights, holofoil strip along the side between the "rails", and the trigger built out into a short cylinder.

wokphasercloseuptk5.jpg

Actual prop in the Sci Fi Xperience Seattle museum.

wok01enhjw7.jpg

- k
Thanks for all those great photos! Good photos of that prop are usually hard to come by! :D

And from looking at them, I know now that my Playmates replica of this phaser (which is clearly the version from ST: The Motion Picture) is more accurate than I ever realized! The lights aren't quite right, of course... there aren't enough of them, and the colors are off. And it doesn't show the "seam" in the middle, showing where the front end would separate off to become the Type 1 hand phaser. But the trigger and belt clip, both of which I'd assumed weren't accurate to the filming prop, are actually more accurate than I thought! :cool

And the size is also much more accurate than Playmates' version of the Assault Phaser, which is woefully undersized. :unsure

So, I wonder how long it'll be before Art Asylum/Diamond Select gives us a ST:TMP variant of this phaser (since the one shown at Toy Fair is the version from The Wrath of Khan)? :confused

Phase Pistol IS the man.

This forum would be a lesser place without his contributions.

Collect up and organize into topics some of this info and pitch it to whomever has the Trek publishing rights, I would bet a box of donuts a book deal would be forthcoming. I think most of the work is done already looking at the info from just the last few weeks on this forum! LOL

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back