Art Asylum / Diamond Select TOS Phaser build with metal parts.

Here's some photos of an AA upgrade I did a few years ago.
It was loaned to "Starship Exeter" for filming!

Art Asylum TOS Phaser Upgrade

Very nice job Kurok! :thumbsup I see why they wanted to use it in their film. Are those all metal parts on the phaser?

Did Starship Exeter ever finish the last act? I completely forgot about their episode years ago because of the delays they had.

Thanks!
The nozzle, "forehead" plate, and side knob are all metal.
The P1 side rails are just painted as are the "fins" on the back end.

Sadly, the last act of The Tressaurian Intersection is not done. It's hard to say if he will ever finish it....

This thread has conviced me my AA Phaser is worth this mod, so i am on to get the parts togeather now, so i can join you guys.
The TOS Phaser is one of my favorite props .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
The nozzle, "forehead" plate, and side knob are all metal.
The P1 side rails are just painted as are the "fins" on the back end.

Sadly, the last act of The Tressaurian Intersection is not done. It's hard to say if he will ever finish it....

That's sad they did not finish it, they did a good job on it. Very accurate set. But at 1 episode every 5 years they would have to replace the actors every other episode.

Your phaser came out nice. I would add the other metal parts to it, at least to the P2.

How did you fill the holes on the P2? I had such a tuff time with them.

This thread has conviced me my AA Phaser is worth this mod, so i am on to get the parts togeather now, so i can join you guys.
The TOS Phaser is one of my favorite props .

Welcome aboard BATMANN! I look forward to seeing some photos of your work and sharing ideas on the build.

Thanks Spacerone,
I just got in contact with Tony @ Federation phaser for the parts.
I am going to do the full upgrade, laser leds pager vibrator everything. Should be very rewarding and fun.

Thanks Spacerone,
I just got in contact with Tony @ Federation phaser for the parts.
I am going to do the full upgrade, laser leds pager vibrator everything. Should be very rewarding and fun.

Your welcome BATMANN! You definitely have your work cut out for you! I will be looking forward to seeing your progress on the phaser. I may try a few of the upgrades as well, should be quite a challenge to do. But those are some incredible ideas for the upgrades he has. I can see why it would take him so long to make a phaser fully loaded with all the options.

Those holes on the P2 are tough but there are several ways to do it.

You could get some styrene rod of same size or slightly larger. Larger rod can be pointed a bit. Use liquid model cement and then carve/sand.

You could use a non-shrinking putty like bondo. A little messy but sands really nice. As I remember I think that is what I did.

Another way is to use superglue once you have the hole mostly filled with something else. You put superglue and sprinkle baking soda on that. It cures immediately and won't shrink. The key is you have to sand it within about a day or it gets really rock hard.

Hey guys, I just scored two fully gray (Toys R Us exclusive) DS phasers on Ebay- I didn't even know they were MADE like that until today! The third season phasers were always my favourite look for them.

I'm in disintegration Heaven about now.....:lol

...fully gray (Toys R Us exclusive) DS phasers...l

The gray DSTs were made to match the colors used in the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribbelations". The original colors were dark gray (Zynolyte Primer) P1, medium blue-gray (Krylon Shadow Gray) P2 and dark bronze handle.

The DS9 version had a Shadow Gray P1 and Smoke Gray P2 and handle.

The gray DSTs were made to match the colors used in the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribbelations". The original colors were dark gray (Zynolyte Primer) P1, medium blue-gray (Krylon Shadow Gray) P2 and dark bronze handle.

The DS9 version had a Shadow Gray P1 and Smoke Gray P2 and handle.
So, in late night-almost-asleep-Captain-dummy-talk, that would mean they're pretty close to season 3?
The bluish tinge on the gray of my phasers always bugged me just a bit...
I don't have the new ones yet, so I guess I'll see later.:lol
Best design ever for a weapon of any kind. A POX on JJ for not using it straight & clean from the series!!!

Last edited:
Interesting thread here. Have you ever considered to put a green or red laser in it? I got the AA Phaser and a (really strong) green laser. Just couldn't be bothered to butcher the phaser...

while a blue laser from a PS3 or BR player is strong in terms of melting stuff, the green laser light is much better visible to the human eye. I could 'shoot' a laser beam to the sky in dim light conditions, where the green lightray (not just the dot) is clearly visible from all angles.

Those holes on the P2 are tough but there are several ways to do it.

You could get some styrene rod of same size or slightly larger. Larger rod can be pointed a bit. Use liquid model cement and then carve/sand.

You could use a non-shrinking putty like bondo. A little messy but sands really nice. As I remember I think that is what I did.

Another way is to use superglue once you have the hole mostly filled with something else. You put superglue and sprinkle baking soda on that. It cures immediately and won't shrink. The key is you have to sand it within about a day or it gets really rock hard.

Thanks KUROK! I will use one of these procedures on my next phaser project.

Interesting thread here. Have you ever considered to put a green or red laser in it? I got the AA Phaser and a (really strong) green laser. Just couldn't be bothered to butcher the phaser...

Yes Jimmybondi!:love I got the idea from the federationphaser I agree with you that the green laser is the best one to use if you are going to do it. You can see the beam easily at night, it looks real cool.:cool I would rather have a visibility effect rather than a burning effect.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back