Aron's Ironman Helmet - Paint and LED's finished

Re: Aron's Ironman Helmet - Bondo Detailing Stage

the mummy returns... lol:lol

actually i was shocked when i saw you separate the 4 pieces in the middle of body filling phase :eek... but its done

im glad you made it whole again:)...

keep it up man :):thumbsup... cant wait to see it with final bondo...

P.S. i just finished separating our helm into 3 pieces... pretty neat cut, and some crooked cut, but nothing a bondo cant handle:love

Latest updates

002.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

First pictures I've gotten with fresh primer on. It looks so much nicer when it is all one color.

The pictures were taken before I attached the new ears, which are curing right now. Hopefully more to come this weekend.

finally, you're back on track...

it's looking great man!:):thumbsup...

really cool!:cool

More pictures. Still sanding, filling, and finishing. Trying to get some sharp cheek edge lines and fight the pieces lining up properly.

Other news is I have my hinges temporarily mounted. Positioning and fine tuning still need to get a good open close but I and definitely impressed with the mechanics of MightyJohn's orbital system.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

New ears are on and getting them plum was a pain. I'm getting too burnt out on going detail crazy so I think I'm gonna just get it as nice as possible before halloween.

I've got another free weekend so me and this helmet are gonna be spending some quality time together. :love

Don't mind the empty beer box, it will have a full one replacing it tomorrow :thumbsup

Re: Aron's Ironman Helmet - Hinges/Detailing Stage

a8.JPG

The last picture shows what happens when you do not know how to scale properly. From left to right that is chronological order.

hehehe, we're in the same club :)
from now on, my motto: use a size-tester first.

question: what files did you use for your pep? could you send me their links?
i noticed that they are different cause of the eyes. (the first one on the right have smaller and narrower eyes than the last one on the left)

well thanks again for the advices, and keep on working on your project, lookin' forward when you finish it.

Yeah, this is coming along really well. I really don't like the clean up/ bondo/ sand stage of building pepakura props. It just seems like it NEVER ENDS!!!!! But yours is coming along nicely. Great job.

hehehe, we're in the same club :)
from now on, my motto: use a size-tester first.

question: what files did you use for your pep? could you send me their links?
i noticed that they are different cause of the eyes. (the first one on the right have smaller and narrower eyes than the last one on the left)

well thanks again for the advices, and keep on working on your project, lookin' forward when you finish it.

I dont have a download for the file but it is the Sharkmark VI unfolded by dubean33. I'm sure there is a download for it somewhere on here.

I got the file over a year and a half ago so I have no idea who I got it from.

@Crank the paper is the easy part, even the fiberglass isnt that bad. But the true art is in the bondo

I'm currently adjusting the hinges as the hot glue is a poor adhesive for hardware that gets torqued like this. Upgraded to a slow setting epoxy. I've got lenses being cut and shaped but I still have to build the housing for the lights and I'm still messing with my microcontroller code.

cool good work i feel your pain its hard getting a car smooth surface on round things. good luck and thanks for the advise on mine :)

Micro Maestro 6

Update: As for an update I am currently constructing the eye boxes for the lights. I used a pair of cheap safety glasses from the hardware store cut to shape for lenses.

The reflector box will be pepped to follow the eye opening contours. The reflector box is printed and I am currently assembling them to test how affective they are. I am sticking prismatic reflective tape to the inside portions of the box to aid in reflectivity.

Once I have something to show I will post pictures and I'll even share the eye box pep if anyone wants it.

Hopefully it will give me the same effect as a car headlight.

Cleaning-Headlight-With-Toothpaste.jpg

We shall see the results...

Last edited:
Re: Aron's Ironman Helmet - Hinge and Eye Boxes

Definately paying attention to your developement on the eye lighting! Working on my own tonight.. and I cant wait to see how yours turns out!

Nice work! What did you use to cut the pieces? Looms reason clean. I assume some type of dremel blade? I've been trying to figure out which blade to buy.

Hey I think I'm using the same files to build my first Ironman! Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure! Great work so far!

Nice work! What did you use to cut the pieces? Looms reason clean. I assume some type of dremel blade? I've been trying to figure out which blade to buy.

The diamond cutting wheel is by far the best IMO

2569262501p

Hey I think I'm using the same files to build my first Ironman! Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure! Great work so far!

Thanks!

a8.JPG

This pic just makes me want to do some sort of custom costume with the tester helm, lol. looks mean

So I was in a bit of a rush to finish something before halloween. I slacked on the pictures but got some finished ones.

Eyes are complete. My single color changing LED module didn't put out enough light, even with the prismatic tape reflecting it all and bumping up to 9 volts. So I opted for 8 wide view white LED's per eye and the shine effect is nice. It is however difficult to see out of my eye slits due to glare.

I got my paint and clear coat on. The finish isnt as smooth as it could be but I had to make sacrifices to finish on time. The final grit as of now is 400. I hope to take it up to 2000 in the future.

My hinges work, but my new servo still isn't powerful enough to lift the lid more than halfway up. I'll see if I can return it and order a stronger one.

The control of the eyes through the micro controller had to be sacrificed for now because I couldn't figure out how to get 9 volts to be sent through my singal line.

All in all, I'm happy with my progress so far. Oh and if you are questioning the paint scheme...I'm a Gator!!

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back