Are the AztekDummy masks reusable?

jakob2121

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, I just ordered a few hundred LEDs per ThomasModel's lighting instructions and I've been trying to manually mask the ship for a few days. I'm getting nowhere fast. I'm going to be doing a few of these kits, so I was wondering if the AztekDummy vinyl masks are reuseable, or are they a one-time-only kind of deal?

Where did he post lighting instructions? I thought he was working on his own Aztec patern last I heard over at HobbyTalk and working on Starship Exeter movie. I assume you mean the PL Refit. Check out our ongoing thread on this build-up. :)

If you are building a few kits, then be prepaired to buy a few AztechDummy patterns to go with them.

They are a one time deal. They are just a precut viynl decale sticker sheet.

Lynn

Buy one, then design friskets for the masters. i'm building three, and am reusing the same frisket on all three, with great success. I also used the stickers themselves for the base, to build up detail.

And, no, they only last once.

hi, with two PL refits under my desk I may get some of these sheets ... but I thought it was more of a template for aiding painting and masking rather than something that should be permanently attached to the hull.

I've seen Mark King's build up on Cult and it looks superb but it appears they have been stuck down and painted over (I could be wrong here), in turn creating raised areas on the saucer which got me wondering if that was not the wrong way to go.

What exactly is stated on the templates instructions if any? Any help and/or comments appreciated.

Steve

Well, I guess i'm going to do my own, then. Thanks for the headsup guys. Oh, and in a few weeks ( :rolleyes ) when I get mine finished, i'll send 'em along to anybody that wants 'em.

Originally posted by sliuman@Jun 7 2005, 03:31 PM
What exactly is stated on the templates instructions if any? Any help and/or comments appreciated.

Steve
[snapback]1006563[/snapback]​

The instructions are pretty detailed.

Not exactly but....

You paint base color, put on stickers/templates, paint second color, peel off stickers/templates after second color is dry, your now done with templates, paint the rest by hand or mask.

They are NOT permanatly attached to the hull.

Lynn

They are not supposed to be anyway. Just be aware that the vinly that is being used is pressure sensative. If you press too hard the glue will bond permanently to the paint.

Marks kit didn't have the masks on them. There was just a lot of paint buildup creating those ridges.

I found a link...and dang nab it, i didn't save it, just the PDF - but someone out there made templates for the entire enterprise azteking available as... a PDF. They'll have to be scaled (they're scaled for the 22") but essentially it's just the body shapes and the original grid lines and you fill in the template yourself, which is superior to pre-formed templates in my opinion. The original wasn't just white/pearl but segmented into a bunch of different colors. When I find the pdf link again I'll post it. Now the real question becomes ...do I draw a grid on the PL and then paint in the grid myself (as was done originally), or do I try to make a set pattern and make a frisket?

The patterns are supposed to be a one time deal. I haven't used mine yet and have heard some stories of them being stuck to the hull too tightly after painting. I was thinking of using the templates as a template for making my own set of templates and attaching them with a less sticky spray tack. I will need to experiement a bit before going that route - or recommending it to anyone ;)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back