Apollo A7L Moon Suit

I bought that ac unit from ebay japan!

You won't need it. My suit is double sided 400d nylon with quilting in between and I can wear it no problem indoors 21c without overheating.

I bought that ac unit from ebay japan!

You won't need it. My suit is double sided 400d nylon with quilting in between and I can wear it no problem indoors 21c without overheating.
Too funny. Good to know. Does the t-shirt work well suit aside? Is it worth getting for those stifling summer days? Also I'm going to bug you for guidance on connecting the material to the cuffs and neck ring eventually. These are the things that keep me up at night lately. Lol

I cracked it open and removed the battery, then wired in one with twice the capacity for wearing with the suit. Seemed to work okay in tests.

Suit ring and glove rings are super easy to attach, hit me up when you're ready.

... Also I'm going to bug you for guidance on connecting the material to the cuffs and neck ring eventually. These are the things that keep me up at night lately. Lol

Figured might as well post this up for others as well James. Here is a shot of how my suit ring and wrist connectors are attached to my suit fabric:

20201001_094800.jpg

It's a layer of Gorilla brand double sided mounting tape. I used the "30lbs" stuff as it's all I could get in Canada, but if you are in the states then there is the "60lbs" variety which should be even better. I just made sure that when I sewed up the fabric that mates with the helmet ring, it was just big enough to fit the helmet ring. A layer of this tape and it became a snug fit, and the tape takes care of the rest. I know Mr. Nagata uses (or has in the past) used adhesive velcro so that may be another option for you as well.

81s-Y+wF3KL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As for the wrist connectors, same process except with the addition of some GIANT ASS rubber bands to hold the fabric to the connectors as well, which I used RIT brand fabric dye to colour black.

I used the 5x 5/8" size and they are a perfect fit.

20201001_100228.jpg

Figured might as well post this up for others as well James. Here is a shot of how my suit ring and wrist connectors are attached to my suit fabric:

View attachment 1354366

It's a layer of Gorilla brand double sided mounting tape. I used the "30lbs" stuff as it's all I could get in Canada, but if you are in the states then there is the "60lbs" variety which should be even better. I just made sure that when I sewed up the fabric that mates with the helmet ring, it was just big enough to fit the helmet ring. A layer of this tape and it became a snug fit, and the tape takes care of the rest. I know Mr. Nagata uses (or has in the past) used adhesive velcro so that may be another option for you as well.

View attachment 1354367

As for the wrist connectors, same process except with the addition of some GIANT ASS rubber bands to hold the fabric to the connectors as well, which I used RIT brand fabric dye to colour black.

I used the 5x 5/8" size and they are a perfect fit.

View attachment 1354368
Perfect. Thanks for the pics and links. Much appreciated

HOHO! Big day!

Made a huge push and got my communications carrier finished!

20201005_142856.jpg

20201006_124621.jpg

Mics are cable from an HDMI cable, with nerf bullet pieces on the end and some adhesive velcro to finish them off. Definitely gonna have to trim the beard down before I wear this out haha.

Last edited:
20201009_095503.jpg

Designed and printed an adapter for the communications cable coming from the snoopy cap to the suit, as this is missing from Ken's files. Can be found here: Snoopy Cap - Google Drive

Where is everyone? Lots of people working on suits but let's see your progress! This thread is becoming the Kokanee show.

Last edited:
Great work Kokanee and thanks for sharing. Love following your work so I am a fan of the Kokanee show so please keep it going. My suit has halted a bit as here in Australia we have pretty strict lockdowns so we had our two kids being home for school which is all online due to Covid. Takes up a lot of our time. I got my mum's sewing machine and gave it a crack and it's not as easy as I thought lol. Definitely need more practice. Plus I am still on the hunt for a nice fabric locally. The one linked here earlier is perfect but shipping to Australia cost much more then the fabric itself does. I might have to fork out down the track though if it is the best option.

So with the 31st fast approaching, and online sellers of EVA boots being a bust, I've decided to convert some Canadian Army Mukluks into (an approximation of) EVA boots.

20201013_135707.jpg

Here they are laces taken off, as issued. Plan is to shorten the cuff of the boots, remove the lacing eyelets, spraypaint the "silicone" areas on the tip, heel and sides blue and then cover the sides in ironing board/chromel substitute fabric.

20201013_141602.jpg

And after a quick round of rattlecan and masking tape they look not bad. Again I'm not looking for a museum quality replica, just something to bash together for Halloween this year that looks the part from across a room. More to come tomorrow as progress is made.

20201015_114655.jpg

Chromel applied, boot strap attached, I'm thinking I need a larger toe cap so I'll be running to the hardware store over lunch to get a heat gun. I already have some cosplay foam sheet so hopefully I can heat it to shape and make it out of that.

20201015_155110.jpg

Toecaps installed! For a foam newbie like me, the compound curve was tough to form but managed to pull it off. Just have the top strap to do then this is in the can.

Got the sound system installed over lunch; consisting of an Adafruit AudioFX board and x2 3W speakers. When the momentary switch on the inside of the helmet ring is depressed it plays a random Mercury/Gemini/Apollo sound clip.

Oh the pain of failure!

View attachment 1335337

I should have gone with a thicker nylon material, this stuff is pretty thin and it's a PITA to work with. Somehow I must have cut incorrectly because my pattern is just fine, oh well back to the second try with brown thread too when I have time.

Wondering where everyone else is on their suits?
Would you be willing to share your snoopy cap pattern? its the last thing on my list to do and yours looks great!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back