Anyone use JB Kwik

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone use this stuff?

I've been trying to use JB Kwik on plastics, and it joes doesn't seem to adhere, even after roughening the sufraces. It cures, then just peels off. Anyone else have this problem?

Hmmm.. I've never had that trouble with JB Kwik although I've never used it on plastics, just metals and fibreglass..

If it's 'peeling' rather than flaking or chipping off (and you've mixed it thouroughly) then maybe you've been unlucky with a duff batch?

Even though it dries quite quickly I assume you've been leaving it alone for a couple of hours anyway to completely harden?? Perhaps if you've been working in cool temperatures that's also slowed hardening?

Jeremy

I've used JB Kwik in several projects, and although I don't find it as reliable as regular JB Weld, I've never experienced any peeling off.

What kind of plastic are you using it on?

Originally posted by SL3844@Apr 6 2006, 11:08 PM
I've used JB Kwik in several projects, and although I don't find it as reliable as regular JB Weld, I've never experienced any peeling off.

What kind of plastic are you using it on?
[snapback]1221333[/snapback]​

I've had trouble in the past with epoxies of different types not sticking to a lot of soft plastics, Particularly PE (PolyEthylene). The stuff 5-gallon buckets are made of. It makes me think it's the Plastic. My .02.

PJ

Weird... real bakelite - phenolic resin - shouldn't be a match for the JB. If the problem isn't a bad JB Kwik batch, I'd suspect there might be issues with the plastic itself - does it feel kinda oily to the touch? Maybe badly cured?

I use it all the time only had one problem with it I used it on the resin crank knob for my proton pack...I didn't scub and clean the bottom of the part and it fell off.
mike

Flat, injection-molded surfaces are not what the JB products were meant for, anyway. You need one of those glues that create a chemical bond (assuming the part being attached is also plastic).

JB stuff is better for filling and attaching rough or jagged surfaces.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back