Any other Delorean owners here?

WHAT ?.

A DeLorean thread, and Tim Ketzer didn´t chime in ?. Tim ? Tim ???

A few years ago, I met a friend of Tim, who happened to show off his (unconverted) DeLorean to a media conference, and geeky me asked the stupidest thing, I bet you can guess what I asked him ;)

Anyway, DeLoreans are great cars, saw one for sale about fifteen years ago right around the corner for approx. 7.000 US-$. Never got to ask why it was so cheap, though. A very nice car, and I admire the brave people who put a lot of work into those cars to keep them up to speed ;)

Michael

Originally posted by Hand-Schaub@Jan 13 2006, 07:15 AM

The car never dies but it doesn't get that nice constant 13 volts all the time either.  But generally the car performs a little ifferent each time I drive it.  Again - mostly because of power distribution. 
[snapback]1157758[/snapback]​

13 volts? Just be glad you don't need a constant 1.21 jigawatts.

Funny I started this thread...and I now I might consider selling mine...(getting married in July).
ANyone in the detroit area looking?
Again not officially 4 sale but ya never know.
mike

I had a delorean, an 82 smooth hood, vin 10854. Sold it about 2 years ago to buy my countach. However it was a fun car, I briefly considered converting it. But I drove it so much, I figured I would look like a fool driving down the street with all the junk on it.

Just having the car stock looking gets enough "wheres the flux capcitor dude." :rolleyes

I did a full frame up restoration on my car, the electrical system on the car is CRAP. Replace the whole thing if you can. If your considering buy one, try and get one from a very dry place. Most of the northern cars will have rust, and not in a good way.

Delorean used a special epoxy on the frame tha was suppose to prevent rust, but with age, it harded and cracked. Thus letting water in and KEEPING it there. So on sight inspection the frame looks great, but can be COMPLETELY rusted out, I looked at a few cars that had variying degrees of this. Its a big problem in the delorean world.

There are TONS of numerous other issues that will need to be replaced/checked on the car, some can flare up to be big issues if not replaced/checked out. Door struts sagg, speedos are flakey(and dont even go up to 88mph), seats suck, the list goes on...

In my experience, delorean under 10k is going to be a BASKET CASE, 15K is going to be average and 20-25k is going to be for a no worries car.

Parts are pretty available for the most and at a relative average cost. There are a few body panels (right front fender anyone?) that are like the holy grail of parts, if you look at a car and this piece is screwed up, pass on it. That piece alone, IF you can get one, is going to set you back 3-5k. Availability of parts is going to be an issue down the road though, there is only so much a the DMC HOUSTON NOS warehouse.

Check out the delorean group on yahoo, check out www.dmcnews.com and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. If I had to buy another, I would only purchase one from a member of the yahoo group/dmcnews.com guys. They know whats up.

Originally posted by oldken@Jan 12 2006, 11:29 PM
ive got a 78 vette...

thought it would be funny to make a corvette summer car...  :p

its in a famous movie with mark hamill  :lol

man they 70s that thing up, it was hideous... but i love vettes and i mean luke skywalker has the lead roll and gets to hook up with annie potts.

derail over.

if you ever do it you know where to send some pics.

seen plenty O batmobiles and general lees in perosn in my day, but never seen a BTTF delorean.  that would be a head turner to say the least.
[snapback]1157394[/snapback]​

well oldken, they were selling replicas of the front nosepiece on that auction site everyone loves/hates last month, if your serious you might want to check it out

I always wanted one growing up. I found one in Purcell OK years ago that the owner neglected but was unable to meet up with him since he was a truck driver. I found another but the bank would not grant me the loan since it wasn't in the standard NADA book they used. I told them of the speciallty guide but they said no deal.

-Deric

Originally posted by Deric@Jan 17 2006, 06:01 AM
I always wanted one growing up.  I found one in Purcell OK years ago that the owner neglected but was unable to meet up with him since he was a truck driver.  I found another but the bank would not grant me the loan since it wasn't in the standard NADA book they used.  I told them of the speciallty guide but they said no deal.

-Deric
[snapback]1160972[/snapback]​

I had No problem what so ever with the bank, they did require an appraisal the car appraised for 18,500. I only needed half that since I had some cash
But it looks like I might be selling mine (getting married)
I posted it in the junkyard...looking to get 16K but I'll listen to offers.
mike

Originally posted by Deric@Jan 17 2006, 01:01 AM
I always wanted one growing up.  I found one in Purcell OK years ago that the owner neglected but was unable to meet up with him since he was a truck driver.  I found another but the bank would not grant me the loan since it wasn't in the standard NADA book they used.  I told them of the speciallty guide but they said no deal.

-Deric
[snapback]1160972[/snapback]​

Was that one in Purcell down at the old Howard Johnstons that was retrofitted into a car shop? I ALMOST bought that for a project car back when I was in College (ca 1995 or so). IIRC it was a theft recovery. There was a ton of detail pieces missing, didn't run and the doors were held shut with Bungee cable...

I still wish I had bought it :) IIRC, they ended up selling it at auction...

-Gary

Its very sad how many neglected DeLoreans end up just sitting around.

the thing with these cars sitting for so long is that the rubber in the fuel system will start to degrade and gum up the fuel lines....

the whole fuel system on the DeLorean is unstable on a good day (Bosch CIS fuel injection), its a mechanical fuel injection system that basically has a piston that raises and lowers based on the air intake in the mixture control unit .... they used the same system in older porches ...

heres something not a lot of people know ... teh DeLorean engine is actually pretty SOLID ... its a PRV - v6

Pegeut, Renault, Volvo ... many of times i have just picked up parts for the engine directly from Volvo.

one thing that I have found odd, on ebay the sellers brag on the fact that the cars have very low mileage, usually anywhere from 6 - 10,000 miles now from what I know about cars..something with that low of mileage isnt good....it means it has been driven very little and that there are a lot of problems...( one )because it was driven very little which means there is a reason it has been driven so little and ( 2 ) it has been sitting for so long...these 2 dont make for a good car.....I would rather have one that has some mileage on it,,,this way I know it has been driven and it is drivable.

I think about getting a Delorean and giving it the VW treatment, like I did to a Porsche 356A. The motor, tranny, and interior of that 356 were trashed, so rather than rebuild them and restore the car to factory specs, I gutted it, put in a VW 1600cc motor and tranny, some Recaro seats, aluminum dash with 84 944 gauges, caged it, replaced the suspension with a lots of hopped up bug parts, and pretty much turned it into a race car.

With a Delorean, there is no doubt that I would put a flux capacitor into it just for a conversation piece, and maybe some other choice interior bits. Maybe bolt a Mr. Fusion to the back hatch, or at least have one that I could snap on there for the occasional show.

However, I would trash the stock seats and much of the original instrumentation, put in a 3.2L 24V VR6 motor from a Touareg, Passat or R32 and all its instrumentation and wiring, some Konig seats, spruce up the suspension with Eibachs and Bilstiens... I know I would be hated by the purists, but secretly envied for having a 280hp reliable motor and six speed tranny, a reliable dash cluster, and supportive sport seats.

I might be tempted to replace the door cards with carbon fiber, as well as some of the dash and center console.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back