Any MARS ATTACKS fans out there?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Simmon M, May 17, 2006.

1. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Just wondering if there were any Mars Attacks fans out there and if anyone had any prop pics from their collections that they could show off. I just got something sweet off of ebay and wanted to know what else was out there ...

2. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>
    Well.... let's here about it.

I'm certainly a fan, but no props to show for it. I would be interested in seeing what's out there. There's probably some stuff I need that I don't even know about yet :lol

3. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>

What??? no info or pics??? Tease :p

4. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

LOL - sorry guys, wanted to see what was out there first and it doesn't look like much.

You know me, if I have it then it's got to be a bust and it has to be close to life sized scale. This afternoon I received a 1:1 scale Mars Attacks bust from Jeffrey Birney. He did an incredible job on it - it looks like its a plaster cast (very heavy) finished in pewter. Eyes were custom painted as well.

Here are some of Jeffrey's pics - I'll post more when I get a chance:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So anybody else have anything? :)

5. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

Ack Dack. Ack-Dack-DACK. I love that movie.

You should see the Martians Estil (eaviii) has in his game room. Here's some pics I took while I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

ack.. ack ack... ACK ACK ack

God I love that film. I had the 12" talking action figure for a while and always wanted to make a full size ray gun that they had... might still one day.

That bust looks great though. (although if it was me I think I'd probably want to paint it in the 'real' colours.... but that's just me, lol)

Excellent stuff.

7. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>
    Hello,

Years ago I bought this model. I was told that it was a studie maquette made for the movie. It is pretty accurate and really big (1/4???)
    It was poorly cast (just 4 pieces) so there was a LOT of cleaning to do. Painting it was real fun. I still proud of how the head colors turned out.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Ack Ack

BasD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

wow, those head colours are GREAT

9. eFXBarry

eFXBarry Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(trooperprop @ May 18 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1246212[/snapback]</div>
    Hello,

Years ago I bought this model. I was told that it was a studie maquette made for the movie. It is pretty accurate and really big (1/4???)
    It was poorly cast (just 4 pieces) so there was a LOT of cleaning to do. Painting it was real fun. I still proud of how the head colors turned out.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Ack Ack

BasD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/b][/quote]

That's definitely a cast of the space suited design maquette Tim Burton signed off on.

The production version differed a little, and then ILM changed things again when the decision was made to go CGI for the Martians...

Barry

10. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Awesome work Trooperprop. I love that figure.

11. trooperprop

That's definitely a cast of the space suited design maquette Tim Burton signed off on.

The production version differed a little, and then ILM changed things again when the decision was made to go CGI for the Martians...

Barry
    [/quote]

He that is great to hear. I was wondering about it for awhile.
    Thank everyone for nice reponse.

Is there a "nude" martian maquette out there?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

12. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Didn't someone figure out that the Martian rifles were made from found parts?

13. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I think I have a Slim Whitman record here somewhere...

;)

14. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have the "nude" martian plus the spacesuit guy, but I haven't painted the nudie yet. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My spacesuited guy came from Monsters In Motion as I recall, and it arrived BROKEN.. I shipped it back and they repaired it. But mine is a little different from the other one posted, mine is missing the lower suit hoses for example... :unsure

[​IMG]

- k

15. trooperprop

My spacesuited guy came from Monsters In Motion as I recall, and it arrived BROKEN.. I shipped it back and they repaired it. But mine is a little different from the other one posted, mine is missing the lower suit hoses for example... :unsure

Then you should look up a old star wars toy from the 80's. A repairstation toy from the empire has 2 hoses that look EXCACTLY like the movie version. I think they used those also at ILM... :thumbsup :thumbsup

I also used them one mine since the original hoses did not look that good.

Were did you get the nude martian? I hope to find one of those to paint :D

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

16. phase pistol

Wow really? "Repairstation toy from Empire"... if you can be more specific on the name of the toy, that would help me find one. :D

Perhaps you mean the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As to where I got the nude Martian, sorry I do not remember. This was some years ago. Someone on the RPF most likely.

- K

17. phase pistol

I also have a Rifle prop in kit form which I was told was cast from screenused. But I suppose if the thing is made of found objects, mine could have been cast from anything. :unsure

Please elaborate on the found parts. :D

I don't have pix of my kit tho. In the meantime here are some grabs from the movie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really liked those funky bubble helmets on the Martians in the film... wish I had a helmet for my spacesuit figure. If anybody vacforms some, let me know. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really liked the little pistol too. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there's the Spy Girl Gun... (I also snagged one of those Spy Girl action figures back when the movie came out, they were impossible to find at that time...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And who doesn't want a grandma-blastin' cannon. :D

[​IMG]

One of those walking robots would be cool too.... :rolleyes

I have a bunch of the toys that came out too... the movie themed ones and also the "bubble gum card" inspired figures. These aren't my pix but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and of course the true MARS ATTACKS collector has got to own a complete set of the original 1960s BUBBLE GUM CARDS. :p (mine are repros but still nice)... Sick sick stuff folks. This was marketed to children. No wonder I'm totally screwed up. :lol

The movie martians are directly inspired by the card designs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much more on the card series here

http://www.marsattacksfan.com

The card artist, Norm Saunders, also did some amazing Batman TV show cards as well). These are almost equally psychotic. :lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of spreadeagle Robin bondage on these for some reason....

A cool rarity is this "portfolio of Roughs", some preliminary sketches for the bubble gum cards...

[​IMG]

- k

18. phase pistol

A great paper prop would be the Anatomy chart that Pierce Brosnan uses in the film.

[​IMG]

There's a pretty neat making-of book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of the sculptor of the Martian Maquette.... (also the eater of that sandwich I would imagine... :D )

[​IMG]

- k

19. trooperprop

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ May 20 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]1247369[/snapback]</div>

Yes Thats it ... Aaaah sweet memories :lol
    They look great on the model.

Guess I need to pick up that making of book you showed. Looks great.
    It is always hard to get good books in the Netherlands (for a nice price that is)

Anyone else got something? Looks great.
    I saw a screen used miniature tank for Jack Nickelson on a fair some while back but it was 500,- :unsure

Greetings fro mthe Netherlands,

BasD

20. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know the guy who made the martian hand thingy that bursts through Jack Nicholsons chest in the film. I see the original whenever I go to his shop. It's pretty cool.

[​IMG]

And sorry he's not interested in making any for people.

21. Tiki

Tiki Active Member

Whoo! My first post! Thought this would be an appropriate starter for me, as my MA props are about the only ones I don't have packed up in the attic (due to the never-ending home-remodeling project). First up, I love that Martain in space suit sculpt! I have a similar piece, but my friend who poured it for me misunderstood my request and cast me the "nude" martain maquette:

[​IMG]

This guy has been sitting around waiting to be finished for years!

Next up, one of the *stars* of my small collection, the Martian Spy Ring:

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, I actually put these together for the film. It was a total rush job - and we ended up making several different versions. This is the non-mechanical hero version - I did several, and was able to keep one. The eye is cast dental acrylic and the ring is sterling silver (it is very tarnished). On the day they decided to switch the ring to the middle finger, and the propmaster ended up sawing the band open and bending it wider!

Tiki

22. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

Hey, welcome to the boards! LOVE that Martian Spy Ring. You should make a casting of that prop and sell replica spy rings to us. You'll be rolling in cash for the rest of your life. Or most of your weekend.

But both the nude Martian maquette and the spy ring are really cool. Congratulations! Have you had a hand in making anything else we'd recognize?

Alan

23. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Yeah what he said :thumbsup

24. cloudborn

cloudborn Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love that Martian pistol too! :love The toy pistol Treadmasters released didn't look anything like it but the throbbing brain in it was cool. Did anyone make a replica of the actual movie pistol? :confused

25. 655321

655321 New Member

26. Tiki

Tiki Active Member

Mahalo! It is nice to finally post on these boards after reading them for so long. As far as having a hand in making other props - I was lucky enough to have a steady job at a very prolific FX shop for almost 5 years. I got to work on a lot of great projects, and even more terrible ones!

I'm mulling over the ethics of molding the ring - I'll be sure to let you all know if I do it. I got a few PMs asking me what else I made for MA and how I put the ring together. The shop I was at was contacted to put together a bunch of rather rushed items for the shoot - I ended up building all the human (and 1 dog) multicolored skeletons for the film, the headgear that keeps Pierce Brosnan's head alive, and the ring. Some friends of mine at the shop built various other Martian medical devices as well as some exlploding canaries. I sculpted the base of the ring in jewelry wax and cast the master in sterling silver. I then molded the master to cast several hero static versions in sterling and several resin versions with tubing running through it to allow for wire to control the eye. As I recall the mechanic and I put together 2 wire controlled versions: a "side-to-side" roving eye and a "pearl-to-eyeball" reveal. To make the eyeball itself I molded a large ball bearing and cast a sphere out of clear dental acrylic with a hearty dash of pearl powder mixed in. I airbrushed the eye on the surface and coated the sphere in automotive clearcoat. The whole ring project was a blur, as we only had a week to get it all up and running.

Whew! Sorry if that was too much info -

Tiki

27. Coinprop

Coinprop Well-Known Member

Cool info Tiki! ;)

28. 655321

655321 New Member

This is the Mike Burnett replica one of my friends has:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It stands 6' 7" with the base & helmet. The base is 10" high by 2' 6" wide by 1' 10" deep and the removable helmet is 1/4 inch thick acrylic.

He's not a member here, so I sent him a link to this thread for his enjoyment and he actually replied that he's interested to sell at less than half of MBP's retail, helmet & base included, so PM me if you're interested and I'll hook you guys up! :)

Cheers,

- Prisoner 655321

29. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First off, I love the ring- Really cool!!!!

Just a few pieces . . .
    [​IMG]

and a Martian caught playing his favorite Pin. . .

[​IMG]

Doc

30. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member

That ring is Frackin' awesome!!!!!!

31. jediscout72

jediscout72 Well-Known Member

Wow Space above and Beyond on the far left, Chigs and marine costumes!
    loving it!

32. Tiki

Tiki Active Member

Man - I LOVE that guy! He'd look great in my office! :)

I was poking through a shoebox of film photos and thought you may like a peek at some of them. Most of the work (99.9% of it) I did was make up FX (monsters, animals, dead bodies, etc.) but I got to squeeze in the occasional prop. Here are some shots of the martain head rig being put together as well as the army of poseable skeletons we did for MA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That head rig is just plain fun and the group shot of fried skeletons is awesome...

but I really dig your tiki's! They're just loaded with character... great work!

Tom

34. cloudborn

Anyone ever make a replica of this Mars Attacks pistol?

[​IMG]

Always wanted a prop of one of these!:love

35. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty sure there is a resin one available- Monsters in Motion maybe? Maybe on here before?

Doc

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  36. cloudborn

I looked through Monsters in Motion but didn't find anything on this pistol. Anyone else have a replica?