Any MARS ATTACKS fans out there?

Simmon M

Sr Member
Just wondering if there were any Mars Attacks fans out there and if anyone had any prop pics from their collections that they could show off. I just got something sweet off of ebay and wanted to know what else was out there ...

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>
I just got something sweet off of ebay and wanted to know what else was out there ...
[/b]

Well.... let's here about it.

I'm certainly a fan, but no props to show for it. I would be interested in seeing what's out there. There's probably some stuff I need that I don't even know about yet :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>
I just got something sweet off of ebay and wanted to know what else was out there ...
[/b]

What??? no info or pics??? Tease :p

LOL - sorry guys, wanted to see what was out there first and it doesn't look like much.

You know me, if I have it then it's got to be a bust and it has to be close to life sized scale. This afternoon I received a 1:1 scale Mars Attacks bust from Jeffrey Birney. He did an incredible job on it - it looks like its a plaster cast (very heavy) finished in pewter. Eyes were custom painted as well.

Here are some of Jeffrey's pics - I'll post more when I get a chance:

MarsAttacks02.jpg

MarsAttacks01.jpg

So anybody else have anything? :)

Ack Dack. Ack-Dack-DACK. I love that movie.

You should see the Martians Estil (eaviii) has in his game room. Here's some pics I took while I was there.

martiani8ua.png

martianii6jx.png

ack.. ack ack... ACK ACK ack

God I love that film. I had the 12" talking action figure for a while and always wanted to make a full size ray gun that they had... might still one day.

That bust looks great though. (although if it was me I think I'd probably want to paint it in the 'real' colours.... but that's just me, lol)

Excellent stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]</div>
Just wondering if there were any Mars Attacks fans out there and if anyone had any prop pics from their collections that they could show off. I just got something sweet off of ebay and wanted to know what else was out there ...
[/b]

Hello,

Years ago I bought this model. I was told that it was a studie maquette made for the movie. It is pretty accurate and really big (1/4???)
It was poorly cast (just 4 pieces) so there was a LOT of cleaning to do. Painting it was real fun. I still proud of how the head colors turned out.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Ack Ack

BasD
P5180002.jpg

P5180004.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(trooperprop @ May 18 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1246212[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Simmon M @ May 17 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1245796[/snapback]
[/b]

Hello,

Years ago I bought this model. I was told that it was a studie maquette made for the movie. It is pretty accurate and really big (1/4???)
It was poorly cast (just 4 pieces) so there was a LOT of cleaning to do. Painting it was real fun. I still proud of how the head colors turned out.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Ack Ack

BasD
P5180002.jpg

P5180004.jpg

[/b][/quote]

That's definitely a cast of the space suited design maquette Tim Burton signed off on.

The production version differed a little, and then ILM changed things again when the decision was made to go CGI for the Martians...

Barry

That's definitely a cast of the space suited design maquette Tim Burton signed off on.

The production version differed a little, and then ILM changed things again when the decision was made to go CGI for the Martians...

Barry
[/quote]

He that is great to hear. I was wondering about it for awhile.
Thank everyone for nice reponse.

Is there a "nude" martian maquette out there?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

I have the "nude" martian plus the spacesuit guy, but I haven't painted the nudie yet. :p

martian-n-fullmonty.jpg

martian-n-side.jpg

martians.jpg

My spacesuited guy came from Monsters In Motion as I recall, and it arrived BROKEN.. I shipped it back and they repaired it. But mine is a little different from the other one posted, mine is missing the lower suit hoses for example... :unsure

ma-repaired.jpg

- k

My spacesuited guy came from Monsters In Motion as I recall, and it arrived BROKEN.. I shipped it back and they repaired it. But mine is a little different from the other one posted, mine is missing the lower suit hoses for example... :unsure

Then you should look up a old star wars toy from the 80's. A repairstation toy from the empire has 2 hoses that look EXCACTLY like the movie version. I think they used those also at ILM... :thumbsup :thumbsup

I also used them one mine since the original hoses did not look that good.

Were did you get the nude martian? I hope to find one of those to paint :D

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

Wow really? "Repairstation toy from Empire"... if you can be more specific on the name of the toy, that would help me find one. :D

Perhaps you mean the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer.

vme.jpg

accb.jpg

As to where I got the nude Martian, sorry I do not remember. This was some years ago. Someone on the RPF most likely.

- K

I also have a Rifle prop in kit form which I was told was cast from screenused. But I suppose if the thing is made of found objects, mine could have been cast from anything. :unsure

Please elaborate on the found parts. :D

I don't have pix of my kit tho. In the meantime here are some grabs from the movie.

MA-rifle-left.jpg

MA-rifle-prop.jpg

I really liked those funky bubble helmets on the Martians in the film... wish I had a helmet for my spacesuit figure. If anybody vacforms some, let me know. :D

MA-rifle01.jpg

MA-riflerack.jpg

I really liked the little pistol too. :p

MA-marspistol.jpg

MA-pistol.jpg

MA-pistol2.jpg

And there's the Spy Girl Gun... (I also snagged one of those Spy Girl action figures back when the movie came out, they were impossible to find at that time...)

MA-spygirlgun-open.jpg

MA-spygun01.jpg

MA-spygun02.jpg

MA-spygun03.jpg

And who doesn't want a grandma-blastin' cannon. :D

MA-cannon.jpg

One of those walking robots would be cool too.... :rolleyes

I have a bunch of the toys that came out too... the movie themed ones and also the "bubble gum card" inspired figures. These aren't my pix but you get the idea.

84_1.JPG

55_1_b.JPG

29_1.JPG

Oh and of course the true MARS ATTACKS collector has got to own a complete set of the original 1960s BUBBLE GUM CARDS. :p (mine are repros but still nice)... Sick sick stuff folks. This was marketed to children. No wonder I'm totally screwed up. :lol

The movie martians are directly inspired by the card designs.

mars21.gif

mars18.gif

mars17.gif

mars36.gif

Much more on the card series here

http://www.marsattacksfan.com

The card artist, Norm Saunders, also did some amazing Batman TV show cards as well). These are almost equally psychotic. :lol

Btmn-09.jpg

Btmn-B17.jpg

Btmn-B12.jpg

Lots of spreadeagle Robin bondage on these for some reason....

A cool rarity is this "portfolio of Roughs", some preliminary sketches for the bubble gum cards...

portfol.gif

- k

A great paper prop would be the Anatomy chart that Pierce Brosnan uses in the film.

martian-anatomy.jpg

There's a pretty neat making-of book.

0345409981.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

martian-frontside.jpg

And here's a pic of the sculptor of the Martian Maquette.... (also the eater of that sandwich I would imagine... :D )

martian.jpg

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ May 20 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]1247369[/snapback]</div>
Wow really? "Repairstation toy from Empire"... if you can be more specific on the name of the toy, that would help me find one. :D

Perhaps you mean the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer.

vme.jpg

accb.jpg

As to where I got the nude Martian, sorry I do not remember. This was some years ago. Someone on the RPF most likely.

- K
[/b]

Yes Thats it ... Aaaah sweet memories :lol
They look great on the model.

Guess I need to pick up that making of book you showed. Looks great.
It is always hard to get good books in the Netherlands (for a nice price that is)

Anyone else got something? Looks great.
I saw a screen used miniature tank for Jack Nickelson on a fair some while back but it was 500,- :unsure

Greetings fro mthe Netherlands,

BasD

I know the guy who made the martian hand thingy that bursts through Jack Nicholsons chest in the film. I see the original whenever I go to his shop. It's pretty cool.

1087q5f.jpg

And sorry he's not interested in making any for people.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back