Any electrical gurus in the place?

Tesseract

Hey guys, I was working on a costume for Halloween, but it wasn't working out so I scrapped it. I figured I'd do some futuristic-thingy-do with a light-up sword made from PVC a 3-foot halogen bulb and wiring.

I was wondering if anyone knew what electrical parts I'd need to power a 3ft halogen bulb independent of a casing?

Figured I'd make the hilt out of PVC, rubber for the grips and paint.

Also, what could I use to color the bulb?

I'm doing a mock-up of it now, which I'll post later in the day. Thanks.

EDIT:
My friend mentioned my idea is similar to the beam katana from No More Heroes (have a PS3, never played it, looks awesome), so here's an idea of what I'm thinking, but a bit simpler.

200626-BeamKatana-Header.jpg

Beam_Katana_by_King_of_Pirates.png

The second is a mock-up by King of Pirates on deviant art (credit where credit's due, that's AWESOME)

Last edited:
Halogen bulbs require a high voltage transformer and ballast to get them to light up. You are going to need to carry a decent power source(think sealed lead acid battery, 15+ lbs) to start it, even if it consumes a lot less energy than a normal bulb. Also, they are not exactly something you want to be carrying around and possibly swinging.

As an alternative though, a 3 foot clear or colored plastic tube, a couple rolls of cellophane inside of it and a really bright(3 watts or higher) LED flashlight will let you get a similar effect at much safer voltages. This is one way they make Star Wars light sabers look so good.

Halogen bulbs require a high voltage transformer and ballast to get them to light up. You are going to need to carry a decent power source(think sealed lead acid battery, 15+ lbs) to start it, even if it consumes a lot less energy than a normal bulb. Also, they are not exactly something you want to be carrying around and possibly swinging.

As an alternative though, a 3 foot clear or colored plastic tube, a couple rolls of cellophane inside of it and a really bright(3 watts or higher) LED flashlight will let you get a similar effect at much safer voltages. This is one way they make Star Wars light sabers look so good.

Echo that - take the advice with the LED's and enjoy your build

HI guys.. I have a question..., in the making of lightsabers ( not just starwars but also from other things.. ) Is there a way to light up a White pvc and still look a little bit cool?
Cuz its just impossible to get a clear tube....

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back