Antique Market Find!

There are definitely deals to be had if played right. I bought a camera, flash, and case for $285, sold the camera for $200 and still selling the case so Its down to $85. If i get 40 for the case and sell the reflector for $10-20 ill be down to $30-40 invested...lol

I went back today and we discussed MPPs and other flashcubes. No MPPs to be had but he had the other graflex that was Luke's holiday special saber listed correctly as a "star wars lightsaber". He was asking a bit too much but I'll be going back once and awhile!

So he didn't realize about the original 3 cell, but labeled the Graflite "lightsaber"? That's funny!

Great job, this is how I found one of mine, back in the day, at an old camera shop.

The others I found at an online camera shop, and I never paid more than $75 for a 3-cell. Of course, this was all back in the late 90s, very early 00s.

Feels good, don't it?!

I check an antiques place frequently because the FIRST time I ever walked in he had a 3 cell graflite.

I didn't buy, cuz I already had my "holiday saber" but I was like a dog who found a discarded cupcake in a bush. Damn right I'm going back to that bush EVERY TIME.

Since then, nothing...

But man, seeing that first posted pic... the dream.

That flash gun w/ the black top, directly to the left of the Graflex: is that a variation on the Graflex for the Holiday Lightsaber?

Nice score!

I've been looking for a Graflex "in the wild" for 30 years, way before the internet and auction sites, ever since I read an article on how the saber was made in Starlog or another SF magazine. I don't know how many camera shops, flea markets, garage sales, etc., I've checked over the years...Never found one.

I just picked up one off CL that I got with a camera. I'm hoping to resell the camera and recoup nearly all the cost of the flash.

Nice score!

I've been looking for a Graflex "in the wild" for 30 years, way before the internet and auction sites, ever since I read an article on how the saber was made in Starlog or another SF magazine. I don't know how many camera shops, flea markets, garage sales, etc., I've checked over the years...Never found one.

I just picked up one off CL that I got with a camera. I'm hoping to resell the camera and recoup nearly all the cost of the flash.

I didn’t know they knew the graflex was used all the time ago? I thought we didn’t realize it was a graflex to the late 90s early 2000

I didn’t know they knew the graflex was used all the time ago? I thought we didn’t realize it was a graflex to the late 90s early 2000

I could be wrong, because I'm going on memory here.

I remember reading a SF magazine in the mid-80's when I was in high school, either Starlog or one of the similar ones available at the time, that talked about "The Weapons of Star Wars" or some-such. They discussed the Broomhandle for Han, the Sterlings for the trooper blasters, and I'm pretty sure it mentioned at least the Graflex for Luke's saber. Ever since then, I've been looking for one, and I know it predates (at least my use of) the web as the only way to do it was to scour camera shops, etc.

The Graflex is pretty recognizable even in saber form so I find it easy to believe it would be one of the first "found item props" identified. (Although not as easy as the very obvious Broomhandle Mauser and the Sterlings).

I'd be pretty surprised if it took 20 years for the Graflex (like say from '77 to '97) to be identified as the main component of Luke's saber. All the details? No. Some of them are pretty obscure. But having it known as the main piece, yeah.

I was 10 when Star Wars came out, and I've been reading about it obsessively since then, first through magazines like Starlog, and behind the scenes books, and film making magazines, etc, and then eventually online. I've been around this forum (as a lurker back when registrations were invite only) for quite awhile and remember some of the "big discoveries" like the promo photo that determined the ANH saber had 7 T tracks, etc. I can't honestly remember when I first learned about the Graflex or when I didn't know what Luke's saber was made from.

What do the rest of you think?

I could be wrong, because I'm going on memory here.

I remember reading a SF magazine in the mid-80's when I was in high school, either Starlog or one of the similar ones available at the time, that talked about "The Weapons of Star Wars" or some-such. They discussed the Broomhandle for Han, the Sterlings for the trooper blasters, and I'm pretty sure it mentioned at least the Graflex for Luke's saber. Ever since then, I've been looking for one, and I know it predates (at least my use of) the web as the only way to do it was to scour camera shops, etc.

The Graflex is pretty recognizable even in saber form so I find it easy to believe it would be one of the first "found item props" identified. (Although not as easy as the very obvious Broomhandle Mauser and the Sterlings).

I'd be pretty surprised if it took 20 years for the Graflex (like say from '77 to '97) to be identified as the main component of Luke's saber. All the details? No. Some of them are pretty obscure. But having it known as the main piece, yeah.

I was 10 when Star Wars came out, and I've been reading about it obsessively since then, first through magazines like Starlog, and behind the scenes books, and film making magazines, etc, and then eventually online. I've been around this forum (as a lurker back when registrations were invite only) for quite awhile and remember some of the "big discoveries" like the promo photo that determined the ANH saber had 7 T tracks, etc. I can't honestly remember when I first learned about the Graflex or when I didn't know what Luke's saber was made from.

What do the rest of you think?

No I could be wrong, I’m really curious as to when it was discovered to be a graflex

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back